New Laptop, Going From Hardwire To Wireless?

JOKER_JOKER

Limp Gawd
I just got a new laptop thats wifi compatible and I'd like to be able to get online wirelessly in my room. The problem is that I only have 1 DSL cable coming up to my room from the router in my basement, which goes directly into my computer. Would it be possible to split the cable so that 1 end goes into my computer, while the other end goes to a wireless router so that I can turn my room into a hotspot? I just want to know if there would be any conflicts with having 2 routers. Is there any better way to do it?

A lot of wireless routers also have ethernet ports on them. That could simplify things for you.

So I would go from the CAT 5 in my room, to the wireless router, <to my computer, and a signal in my room? But would there be any problems with having two routers in my house?

Stacking routers isn't an ideal situation, but considering you only have the two computers you can probably get away with it without a noticable lag. The wireless routers often like to provide dhcp and to act as a firewall, and you will probably need to configure it so that it doesn't interfere with the setup you intend.

/move to networking forum

I was expecting some fresh pics :(

Back