New Lappy or stick with Emachines m6810?

fuelvolts

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey all! Just graduated college and am headed off to law school. My folks (since they are not paying for law school) offered to buy me a new laptop. I currently have an Emachines m6810:
Mobile Athlon64 3200+ Clawhammer
512MB DDR333
80GB Seagate 5400.3 (perp recording)
15.4" widescreen
Moibility Radeon 9600 w/ 64MB dedicated DDR

That thing was top of the line 3 years ago and is still no slouch. It can't run Vista smooth at all (got Vista Ultimate from school) and was debating just throwing in a 1GB stick to give me 1.25 GB of RAM. I was SHOCKED @ prices of SODIMM DDR. It would cost at least $85 to up it just 768MB from stock!

Now, here's my option. Should I get a new laptop now or in a few months? Should I wait altogether and get one, say, next year? WIll laptops change that much? If I get a new laptop the fiancee would get my m6810 since she is suffering with a 7 year old Toshiba.

Another question that is really not related; when will laptops get that little external display so you can check your email, listen to music, and whatnot without booting up that Vista was touting as so cool?

Any advice is appreciated! :D

Well I see you have good desktop. IMO I would look into a thin and light 12inch or a tablet. Your gonna need your notebook in law school(I think)

Yeah, I was looking in to a 14.1". The 12.1" are a little too small, I think. That emachines is a beast. It is really heave and fat. But is it worth it to wait for back to school sales in July/August? Or just get one now and be done with it?

Back