New keyboard suggestions

FireWynd

n00b
I read back about 7-8 pages on all the keyboard theads, but none matched what I was really looking for.

I will be using primarily to code / program. Secondary concern is gaming. But comfort while typing lots and lots is the primary concern / purpose. I am a software engineer by profession and have mild tendinitis in my hands from constant typing all day long (long hours sometimes).

My old keyboard was the Microsoft Comfort Curve Keyboard 2000 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823109149). Overall liked it. Lasted about 3 years (enter key no longer works reliably - have taken it apart multiple times). Only thing I didn't like is that the keys feel really cheap / loose. Would prefer something more solid.

1) Under $100, preferably no more than $60.

2) I greatly prefer low profile keys. Seem easier to press, distance traveled is less, and thus less pain. This is pretty much a must after trying out multiple keyboards over the last 25 years.

3) Traditional keyboard layout w/ number pad. Layout exactly like the Microsoft Comfort Curve Keyboard 2000 in regards to insert / home / delete / end / pg up / pg down / arrow keys / number pad.

4) Higher quality and better feel than the: Microsoft Comfort Curve Keyboard 2000.

5) Wired is preferable. No need for wireless. Don't want to deal with batteries, extra cost, and potential lag time.

6) Programmable keys would be a bonus, but not required.

So far the only keyboard I've found that seems to meet the above is the:
Logitech 920-000914 Black 106 Normal Keys USB Wired Ultra-thin Illuminated Keyboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126043

I am open to suggestions for alternative keyboards that are recommended and meet what I am looking for.

Logitech Illuminated Keyboard. Keys are low profile, and very quiet, yet still very tactile. Love this keyboard...it's a joy to type on, and looks sexy as hell to boot.

logitech-illuminated-keyboard-11.jpg

Isn't the Logitech Illuminated the one with the raised lower row of keys? I think I remember thinking it was annoying when I was testing it out on the shelf at Best Buy.

I hear the wireless version of the same keyboard has the lower row flush with the rest, but for the price of that I think I'd rather invest in a Filco Cherry Brown - which I might do this time around. At those prices though I look at the keyboard sort of how I look at my monitor and pc chasis, it better be able to stick around through five years of builds.

I like the looks of lower-profile keys, but have to admit that "regular style" keys are easier for me to type on as I get a better amount of feedback using them.

Microsoft Ergo 4k. IMHO the most comfortable keyboard known to man.

Personally im looking at the razer blackwidow right now. Mechanical, backlit, programmable macro keys.

I love the MS Ergonomic keyboards. The new black one (4000's?) are pretty solidly built.

yea microsoft ergo 4k would be your best bet. really these keyboards are good but don't last long, just be prepared to replace them every few years ( i think i had 5 in my lifetime).

Back