New JS in FF won't SUCK

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Mozilla’s next incremental update to Firefox 3 will include a “massive” performance boost for JavaScript. This “radically innovative” optimization has shown improvements between 20 and 40 times faster than the current iteration. The developers believe they are just scratching the surface and expect to achieve even better speeds as work progresses.

In addition to empowering web developers, the optimizations will also improve the general performance of the browser itself and many extensions because many components of the program are coded with JavaScript.

That's great for when people have it enabled, but from a web developer's perspective, one still has to assume a user probably has it turned off. Hopefully these accomplishments will lead to a higher percentage of people with JS enabled.

That's great for when people have it enabled, but from a web developer's perspective, one still has to assume a user probably has it turned off. Hopefully these accomplishments will lead to a higher percentage of people with JS enabled.

Have you seen any recent stats on what percentage of general interweb users run their browser without JS? Me curious.

Troopers said the man was racing to get out of Utah because he recently found out how many people in the state use Linux. It is not known if Savino has any relation to SCO.

:D:p

BTW I disable scripting/xss/java/flash/plugins on a per domain basis. Works quite well too, never have a problem with it.

hey wait i just clicked on discussion for "Man’s ‘Video Game Adventure’ Results in Fiery Crash" and it took me here, DOH!

Kinda depends on what you're developing. I wouldn't consider building a feature-rich site without Ajax nowadays. I would assume a user has JS turned off to the extent that I would give them the old "This site requires..." message.

As a user, I can't really live without Google Maps. I'd sooner turn off Flash.

yea , this came on the news here (SLC) about 2 or 3 days ago.. i just got a laugh out of it.

the worst part was it light on fire under some SUV with a couple of kids inside..

probably should be nominated for an Almost darwin award winner..

I haven't noticed any problems with JS in FF, but then again I only allow JS on sites I trust. This won't change even with the improvements.

I know before somoene introduced me to noscript that many times, JS would hang my entire browser. What's even odder, is that it always happened on car audio websites, but the few computer forums I'm part of run beautifully.

I dont know about java but flash sure as hell sucks in FF. one day videos work and the next day they dont. theres been 100s of threads about flah problems over the years on their forums and nothing has been resolved. every other freakin browser can play my youtube and others flash vids just fine. and oh yeah FF will have a lot of cpu usage after a while. I can have my usual 10-12 tabs oen and aftera couple other cpu usage will be between 15-20% consatant with higher spikes. those same exact tabs in IE7 sit around 2-3%. FF is an overrated pos if you ask me but Im no expert of course.

I dont know about java but flash sure as hell sucks in FF. one day videos work and the next day they dont. theres been 100s of threads about flah problems over the years on their forums and nothing has been resolved. every other freakin browser can play my youtube and others flash vids just fine. and oh yeah FF will have a lot of cpu usage after a while. I can have my usual 10-12 tabs oen and aftera couple other cpu usage will be between 15-20% consatant with higher spikes. those same exact tabs in IE7 sit around 2-3%. FF is an overrated pos if you ask me but Im no expert of course.
Im using IE7 without spell check as you can tell. lol.

I haven't had problems with FF and Javascript then again I'm probably the weirdest technical person on the net as in I don't visit too many interactive sites and what not. I do well did have a problem with FF and flash. Turns out its not FireFox's fault. There is a beta of Flash 10 on Adobe's site. Once you switch to it firefox seems fine with flash again.

Flash sucking in Firefox has nothing to do with Firefox. There are two versions of the Flash plugin, one for IE and one for everything else. The one for everything else sucks, it drives CPU usage through the roof for no reason whatsoever. If you don't like it, blame Adobe, not Mozilla. Hell, right now without Flash running Firefox is using 0% CPU for me. Its even worse on Linux, though, as the flash plugin makes itself a top level element so that menus and such end up below the flash content - makes some sites practically impossible to use. Fortunately, there are firefox extensions to block/unblock specific flash content - works like a charm. Adobe's Flash plugin is just terrible, which is why the problem has never been resolved. The people who want to fix it (Mozilla devs) can't, and the people who can fix it (Adobe) just don't give a damn.

Back