Vengance_01

Supreme [H]ardness
Just setup the following ITX NAS+VM server using TrueNAS Scale

JONSBO N1 Mini-ITX NAS Chassis​

Asus Strix B450 ITX
Seasonic SFX-L 450 watt GOLD
AMD 5600g(box cooler)
Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 32GB @CL16 DDR4 PC3200
Intel Optane Memory M.2 MEMPEK1J032GA PCIe M10 2280 32GB 3.0 3D Xpoint NVMe (rear of board)
480GB Mushkin SATA SSD (Docker+VM Storage)
128GB USB 3.0 SATA SSD as Boot
5 x4TB Hitachi Cool spin 5400RPM Drives
Silverstone M.2 to 5 SATA ports (front m.2)
onboard 1GBe Intel Nic
P400 Nvidia Quadro card (plex transcoding only)

Really happing. Setup is only pulling 60 watts idle and between 65-75watts for plex playback.

Attachments

• PXL_20220917_053607398.jpg
    PXL_20220917_053607398.jpg
    507.2 KB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20220929_080326164.jpg
    PXL_20220929_080326164.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 0
Let me total it up. Drives were a carry over but it was pretty reasonable
I checked the pricing from a CAD side, not bad, cause of the compact size of it. I am looking to do a custom build for TrueNAS, but it just trying to decided on what and getting the size I want...vs used gear...

Just setup the following ITX NAS+VM server using TrueNAS Scale

JONSBO N1 Mini-ITX NAS Chassis​

Asus Strix B450 ITX
Seasonic SFX-L 450 watt GOLD
AMD 5600g(box cooler)
Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 32GB @CL16 DDR4 PC3200
Intel Optane Memory M.2 MEMPEK1J032GA PCIe M10 2280 32GB 3.0 3D Xpoint NVMe (rear of board)
480GB Mushkin SATA SSD (Docker+VM Storage)
128GB USB 3.0 SATA SSD as Boot
5 x4TB Hitachi Cool spin 5400RPM Drives
Silverstone M.2 to 5 SATA ports (front m.2)
onboard 1GBe Intel Nic
P400 Nvidia Quadro card (plex transcoding only)

Really happing. Setup is only pulling 60 watts idle and between 65-75watts for plex playback.
You chose not to go with the 5600g pro and ECC RAM? was the price prohibitive?

Linux vs FreeBSD. Core is based on the latter. I believe more dev time will go to scale vs core in the future. Also I wanted to dabble in dockers and container deployments
I feel it's too young of a project. Too many performance issues and bugs compared to Core.

I feel it's too young of a project. Too many performance issues and bugs compared to Core.
I have not encounter any to speak of. Also all out performance is not a concern for me. So far its been pretty solid. Plex and all my apps run via Docker containers and have direct access to Filesystems in the Data Sets using mounted File systems vs CIFS/SMB shares. If you are more concerned or running more critical applications I can understand.

The performance gap is closing fast, but each still has their place. If you want a better plugin system and to use your TrueNAS for more than just as NAS, scale is the way to go. But it is hard to beat the well established, tweaks and optimized CORE if performance is a concern.

Reactions: Meeho
like this
The performance gap is closing fast, but each still has their place. If you want a better plugin system and to use your TrueNAS for more than just as NAS, scale is the way to go. But it is hard to beat the well established, tweaks and optimized CORE if performance is a concern.
I feel uneasy using my NAS server for anything but NAS duties and prefer throwing everything else on a separate VM server.

I feel uneasy using my NAS server for anything but NAS duties and prefer throwing everything else on a separate VM server.
That is where I stand. Reading over the TrueNAS forums and people wanting to run docker containers, and open it up to the internet, and host applications and websites off it...

Like people, you are literally exposing your data to the internet and trusting a system, primarily built to be a NAS, to the internet and trusting they have it secured and seperated well enough with all the additions and plugins..

Reactions: Meeho
like this
That is where I stand. Reading over the TrueNAS forums and people wanting to run docker containers, and open it up to the internet, and host applications and websites off it...

Like people, you are literally exposing your data to the internet and trusting a system, primarily built to be a NAS, to the internet and trusting they have it secured and seperated well enough with all the additions and plugins..
I have no clue why you’re so fucking paranoid. Nobody’s NAS device has ever been hacked or ransomed. Ever. That’s the shit of science fiction. Yes this is sarcasm.

I have no clue why you’re so fucking paranoid. Nobody’s NAS device has ever been hacked or ransomed. Ever. That’s the shit of science fiction. Yes this is sarcasm.
LOL!

Never right! they are all flawless icons of how software should be coded! I think MS should take a page out of QNAP on how to create the perfect system, exempt from any exploits or comprimises! ;)

LOL!

Never right! they are all flawless icons of how software should be coded! I think MS should take a page out of QNAP on how to create the perfect system, exempt from any exploits or comprimises! ;)
QNAP should start selling LTO backup drives for when their boxes get ransomwared! Use that with WORM cartridges and it gives QNAP another avenue of profitability and and you an airgapped non-modifiable backup of your now-ransomwared data!

Last edited:
Back