New IT job

thedocta45

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey all first time posting in this sub-forum I think. NEway I just started working at a computer repair company doing troubleshooting and the like.
Kinda like Geek Squad I guess, but we don't overcharge its mostly home users and a few companies.

Just wanted to ask if anyone has any software tools I should bring on my flash drive.
I have the basics like coretemp, cpu_z, intel burn in test, ccleaner, and a few others. I also already have a copy of the UBCD so that covers my boot needs.

So if anyone has any suggestions about programs to use let me know. Also if anyone can give me some tips or advice that would be great.

Working on A+ cert atm.

Thanks in advance its nice to be able to parley a hobby of mine into a real job, or at least pay part of the rent.

superantispyware
ccleaner
7-zip
logmein
teracopy

these are a few I use.

Gotta agree on combofix, it's the only removal tool I'll bother with before moving on to a full restage.

chrome/firefox portable
keyfinder
process explorer
hijack this
ese scanner launcher
trendmicro housecall launcher
malwarebytes & updates & renamed exe
rkill
tempfilecleaner
xp_emergencyutil
file assassin
reg assassin
startuplite
lspfix
winxp_exe_fix.reg
xppid
various codec packs

wininfo

So is someone going to put these all together from this thread and make them a thumb drive image?:D I can host it.

Congrats on the job! Is this your first IT job? That first foot in the door is really exciting.

I find a live CD is enough. I used to worry about keeping a little "utility key" up to date, but now I will just download stuff when I need it. Worst case, I'll tether my laptop > phone and download whatever I need or SSH/VPN to my house and pull it from my server.

WAAAAY back in the day, I used to keep CD's of a bunch of utilities - but that was when people had dialup and it took 20 minutes to download a 5MB app. Now I can just download that 5mb file over 3g in < 3 minutes. Not really worth my time to keep the stuff updated on a key. Every so often, I'll download new utilities and catalog them on my server to test, but I don't really go out of my way to keep a USB key setup.

Works well for me.

wininfo

So is someone going to put these all together from this thread and make them a thumb drive image?:D I can host it.

I can ? I carry my 8 gig mem stick around with all my tools on it! ( it's not full tho )

I find a live CD is enough. I used to worry about keeping a little "utility key" up to date, but now I will just download stuff when I need it. Worst case, I'll tether my laptop > phone and download whatever I need or SSH/VPN to my house and pull it from my server.

WAAAAY back in the day, I used to keep CD's of a bunch of utilities - but that was when people had dialup and it took 20 minutes to download a 5MB app. Now I can just download that 5mb file over 3g in < 3 minutes. Not really worth my time to keep the stuff updated on a key. Every so often, I'll download new utilities and catalog them on my server to test, but I don't really go out of my way to keep a USB key setup.

Works well for me.

I usually carry my usb stick with the bigger app's and stuff. Av stuff i just download from the www's get the newest version etc etc.

J'

congrats on the new job. If you're working with any network gear, be sure to have PuTTY and TFTPD32 :)

I agree with pretty much everything above.

If you're not selling an AV then I'd also keep MSE and Avast for users that need them. Possibly Comodo Firewall but it's kind of annoying at times so I dunno if I'd give it to customers w/o approval.

"Remove Fake Antivirus"

FlashCD Creator in case you need to flash stuff from DOS

Having a copy of BartPE on hand would not be a bad idea, either.

Make sure your flash drive has a write-protect switch! And always use it when plugging into infected computers!

Thanks for the great response guys. Yeah this is my first IT job so its nice to get my foot in the door. I'm going to take a look at all these recommendations.
As far as AV goes we recommend MSE and for businesses it seems to be Norton although the other techs complain about it.
We sell Malwarebites so that's the preferred malware removal tool.

Again thanks a ton I hope this is just the beginning of a good career.

Last edited:
You will learn soon enough while repairing systems that mcafee and norton are not your friends lol. They are terrible.

If they actually want to pay for a av i would recommend nod32.

You will learn soon enough while repairing systems that mcafee and norton are not your friends lol. They are terrible.

If they actually want to pay for a av i would recommend nod32.

I agree, also, download the Norton removal tool, i give it 2 weeks and you will hate this software with a passion, the first think you will do is uninstall it :)

Nod32 is the best AV I've ever managed. McAfee is not bad, but it's not nice either. The management interface is very disorganized and not very user friendly. I heard the new Norton corporate is better then before though, but I have not tried it myself.

Back