New iPhone(s) on September 9th

Really really disappointed in this one. I might get this for my family but I wont bother for myself. Z3 for me it is then. Apple and Samsung so disappointing this year.

As for bezel size, I dont know why the top has to be that big but I know the bottom of an iPhone will literally ALWAYs be the same size maybe the top is to be symmetrical.

iphone-6-pr.jpg

I just don't get why the rear is ugly as sin. There's a technical reason for these hideous lines in the rear and sides, right?

I'm a Nexus fan myself, but will admit the iPhone 4 was an amazing looking and beautiful designed smartphone. And again the iPhone 5 was another great looking phone, design and build material wise.

But this iPhone 6, seems like they gave up on the design, it's very average, just OK. Very forgettable design. And the rear almost looks like a poor wannabe copy of the HTC One series.

I have to say for once Apple has lost the coolest looking phone award, and will give it to HTC this year, or even OnePlus, their 1+1 is a good looking phone too.

I'm a Nexus fan myself, but will admit the iPhone 4 was an amazing looking and beautiful designed smartphone. And again the iPhone 5 was another great looking phone, design and build material wise.

But this iPhone 6, seems like they gave up on the design, it's very average, just OK. Very forgettable design. And the rear almost looks like a poor wannabe copy of the HTC One series.

I have to say for once Apple has lost the coolest looking phone award, and will give it to HTC this year, or even OnePlus, their 1+1 is a good looking phone too.

I personally prefer the Sony Z3. They still use some glass I think, which always looks pretty cool. The Galaxy Alpha looks OK too, but that back design is still lame as hell. Get away from the Faux leather look, just do real leather or something else. The G3 backcover looks pretty slick and it's plastic. I agree with you guys on this, I don't really like the look of the new iPhone. I'll have to hold one first though for my final judgement. Probably gonna stick to my 5S and wait for the 6S or get one of the new Android phones coming out in Spring.

One thing the new iPhones have had over all the Androids is the amount of LTE bands. Not sure why none of the Android phones have mulitple LTE bands. I mean the iPhone 6 from the US now has support for all of Europe's LTE.

I personally prefer the Sony Z3. They still use some glass I think, which always looks pretty cool. The Galaxy Alpha looks OK too, but that back design is still lame as hell. Get away from the Faux leather look, just do real leather or something else. The G3 backcover looks pretty slick and it's plastic. I agree with you guys on this, I don't really like the look of the new iPhone. I'll have to hold one first though for my final judgement. Probably gonna stick to my 5S and wait for the 6S or get one of the new Android phones coming out in Spring.

The award for sleek and minimalistic design goes to the LG G3 this year.

This iPhone 6 just looks too big and bloated at this new size now. Those bezels, my God just hideous on these larger iPhone's. The 5.5" iPhone 6 Plus is bigger than the Note 4 at 5.7", and the LG G3 at the same 5.5" screen size as the Plus, looks significantly smaller.

Agree that the white iPhone 4 might have been Apple's best looking phone to date, and even the Space Grey rear of the iPhone 5S looks 100 times better than the rear of the iPhone 6.

I wish LG could make a smaller version of the G3. Like a 5" phone with the same type of design, that would be my perfect phone.

I just don't get why the rear is ugly as sin. There's a technical reason for these hideous lines in the rear and sides, right?

They're there for the antennas if you appreciate having reception for voice and data connectivity. I'd rather have a non-metal back than look at those hideous c-section scars.

Looking forward I wonder if iPhone 7 will follow Samsung Alpha with metal side frame and non-metal back?

There's one/two bands that are similar. Those are for antennas. Not sure how they are as similar as you are making them out to be....

There's one/two bands that are similar. Those are for antennas. Not sure how they are as similar as you are making them out to be....

My point is more design, Usually Apple is ahead of the curve, making the most striking and beautiful device. But this iPhone 6 rear doesn't even look like a finished final design Apple would release.

And HTC now makes the better looking device, going all out with full metal build and fantastic design IMO.

I just didn't think this would happen.

My point is more design, Usually Apple is ahead of the curve, making the most striking and beautiful device. But this iPhone 6 rear doesn't even look like a finished final design Apple would release.

And HTC now makes the better looking device, going all out with full metal build and fantastic design IMO.

I just didn't think this would happen.

Oddly enough the only thing I don't like about the M8 are those front facing speakers. I personally rarely ever use phone speakers, I have earbuds for that. Just makes it bigger for a feature that is technically not totally useful. The iPhone's huge bezels at the top and bottom are even more useless though.

Who gives a shit how an object, which is used with the screen facing your eyes or is being held up against your face, looks on the rear? Talking about the looks of a phone is as fucking retarded as the morons that will buy one of these phones after criticizing large non-iPhones for being too big year after year. It just doesn't fucking matter, even if you think it does.

Dude, I own both a M8 and an iPhone 5s.

You're an idiot if you think this new larger iphone looks anything alike. The M8 has a curved back among other things.

And no, my M8 is not better looking then the 5/5s.

I will say though that the 6 is a step backwards in style and it is one of many reasons why I'm not purchasing an iPhone again until they eventually release another 4'' phone.

Who gives a shit how an object, which is used with the screen facing your eyes or is being held up against your face, looks on the rear? Talking about the looks of a phone is as fucking retarded as the morons that will buy one of these phones after criticizing large non-iPhones for being too big year after year. It just doesn't fucking matter, even if you think it does.

I guess you still haven't realized different people value different things? There is a reason phones are designed they way they are and why some are more popular than others.

It's similar to computers. I couldn't care less how mine looks, it just needs to perform. But other people spends thousands of dollars customizing their cases and watercooling just so that it looks good. Are they "fucking retarded" or "morons" as well?

This

Or this looks better ?

The HTC One has better design, but that screen suck balls compare to S5. It look washed out, but maybe the one I just tried on ATT store, but the S5 screen stomp both the HTC and iPhone 5S.

We'll see how the new iPhone 6+ screen. I use both iPhone 5S and S5, but I keep going back to 5S due to it's usability and the smoothness of most the apps. Now, the 5S will be my son's iPhone since he doesnt have one and I'm due for upgrade so I might try the 6+.

[/COLOR]The truth hurts, Apple fans: You can thank Samsung for your big new iPhone displays
http://bgr.com/2014/09/09/iphone-6-plus-vs-galaxy-note-4/

Back when the first Galaxy Note dropped back in early 2012, it drew a lot of jeers from Apple fans for being far too big to fit properly in your hand. Indeed, itself declared that the original Note was “the most useless phone” ever in one of its previews. As for Apple, at the time it seemed content to keep churning out phones with displays that maxed out at 4 inches — recall that in early 2013, Tim Cook was still saying that the 4-inch iPhone 5’s display was the “perfect” size and that Apple had managed to “develop a larger screen size without sacrificing one-handed use.”

And let’s not forget this ad that Apple put out for the iPhone 5 that showed off how beautifully the device fit the contours of the human hand.

Well, a lot can change in a year-and-a-half and now Apple has announced not one but two new iPhones with displays larger than the “perfect” size of 4 inches.

The reason isn’t hard to figure out: Contrary to many critics’ snickering, it turned on that Samsung was onto something when it released the first Galaxy Note, whose 5.3-inch display is actually smaller than the one we saw today with the 5.5-inch iPhone. For as much as people may love to have a phone that feels comfortable to hold, it turns out that they love big, beautiful displays even more and it’s taken Apple more than two years to accept this reality.

And Samsung fans can thank Apple for the metal design right? As can HTC fans..right?

Apple iPhone 6 vs Motorola Moto X ( 2013 )
http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size/Apple-iPhone-6,Motorola-Moto-X/phones/8346,7885

Both these phones have the same size 4.7" 720p screen, but Motorola got it down to a very minimal and small size overall, and the new iPhone 6 next to it looks pretty large.

Drop the Home button on the iPhones and suddenly they become super compact. I can bet you a cold hard $100 that Apple could make the iPhone have supremely smaller bezel if they dropped the home button. But they wont ever remove it and the bezel top and bottom will probably always be the same size. I bet they are the same height from the iPhone 2-6 give or take a few mm.

But it's stupid for Apple to come out with a 1080P 5.5" screen when the G3 crushes that with its 1440P screen. How can Apple not put out even close to top specs anymore in so many areas. Screen, Camera, battery life, water resistance so many phones beat it in all those areas pretty handily.

And Samsung fans can thank Apple for the metal design right? As can HTC fans..right?

Yes HTC took a cue from Apple. Design a better looking smartphone. But even the polycarbonate HTC One X was a real looker and the best looking plastic phone to date IMO.

Scamsuck just doesn't get it. Shitty designs, even that Alpha thing is ugly, metal and all, it still looks like beef. And Touchwiz :rolleyes:

Drop the Home button on the iPhones and suddenly they become super compact. I can bet you a cold hard $100 that Apple could make the iPhone have supremely smaller bezel if they dropped the home button. But they wont ever remove it and the bezel top and bottom will probably always be the same size. I bet they are the same height from the iPhone 2-6 give or take a few mm.

But it's stupid for Apple to come out with a 1080P 5.5" screen when the G3 crushes that with its 1440P screen. How can Apple not put out even close to top specs anymore in so many areas. Screen, Camera, battery life, water resistance so many phones beat it in all those areas pretty handily.

Even the OnePlus One, for all it's stock supply issues, is a freaking bargain deal of the century compared to the iPhone 6 Plus, and the 1+1 competes. The OnePlus One is a 5.5" screen, 1080p, bigger battery, very nice design and build quality, runs the latest Android, is super fast and has great hardware. And it's only $299 - $350, compared to the iPhone 6 Plus at like $800 off contract :eek: WTF :rolleyes:

Even the OnePlus One, for all it's stock supply issues, is a freaking bargain deal of the century compared to the iPhone 6 Plus, and the 1+1 competes. The OnePlus One is a 5.5" screen, 1080p, bigger battery, very nice design and build quality, runs the latest Android, is super fast and has great hardware. And it's only $299 - $350, compared to the iPhone 6 Plus at like $800 off contract :eek: WTF :rolleyes:

Yea, price is the one thing Apple will never compete on because they dont care to. I like the OPO. But the #1 feature I am looking for that not all phones have and would get me to actually buy a new phone is water resistance. S5, One M8 and whole Z line from sony are really all that you can buy. I would easily pay $800 for a phone with top specs like the G3 and water resistance like the Z line. Why cant anyone give me that, the Z3 all high end except the screen. But thats good enough for me comes and closest to all my requirements. Sony will get my $$$ this year, but sadly I still have to buy the new iPhones for my family as gifts because thats what they like.

It's kinda hard to compare most phones against the OnePlus One, since it's sold at-cost through an invitation-only system (for now). Kinda hard to say you'll get the One instead when it's not even sold in stores!

For reference: I've used the One, and it's a fine phone... just wouldn't jump through hoops to get it.

But it's stupid for Apple to come out with a 1080P 5.5" screen when the G3 crushes that with its 1440P screen.
You need to be using your phone at a distance of around six inches or less to be able to discern the difference between a 400 PPI display and a 534 PPI display, assuming you can correctly focus on it at that distance at all (many will not be able to). That's not in any way, shape or form a common use case.

I hate the fact that android phones are using 1440p resolutions, I was so happy to see them use a common resolution and then to see them shit all over it just to have a check box marked off against apple ... useless, absolutely disappointed.

You need to be using your phone at a distance of around six inches or less to be able to discern the difference between a 400 PPI display and a 534 PPI display, assuming you can correctly focus on it at that distance at all (many will not be able to). That's not in any way, shape or form a common use case.

Hah, thats what everyone kept saying when apple when for high PPI and it kept rising over the last 4 years and everyone kept saying how you cant notice but every time some one increases it its obviously noticeable. I dont know about you but I keep my phone pretty close to my face at all times, so yes it is discernible. I will always try to get the most value out of my money. While Value means different things to different people, I doubt some one is going to say I am going to take that small TV over that big TV for the same price everything else being equal. None of us sit here and say you know what I'd rather have that 1080p monitor instead of a 1440p, 1600p or 4k monitor for the same price.

I am one of Apple's biggest customers year round but I am not going to defend them if it doesnt make any sense to.

What is it? Just wondering.

Conceptual design that Sony was using to sue Apple for prior art a while back. I don't remember if they actually won or not, don't think so.

Creative did sue Apple for something similar with the iPad, where they showed Steve Jobs a concept, asked for support and got the cold shoulder. A year later the iPad came out, looking exactly like their concept so they sued for a few million and Apple made zillions.

It's a drawing found on Apple's server based on Sony's design language that was leaked in the Apple vs Samsung trial and was to show that the iPhone design isn't original but borrowed. Judge Koh for whatever reason issued an order for it not to be presented as evidence so not a lot of people know about it.

Google search for "Motion_to_kill_Sony_Jony_phone_evidence.pdf". It has more info.

Last edited:
Hah, thats what everyone kept saying when apple when for high PPI and it kept rising over the last 4 years and everyone kept saying how you cant notice but every time some one increases it its obviously noticeable. I dont know about you but I keep my phone pretty close to my face at all times, so yes it is discernible. I will always try to get the most value out of my money. While Value means different things to different people, I doubt some one is going to say I am going to take that small TV over that big TV for the same price everything else being equal. None of us sit here and say you know what I'd rather have that 1080p monitor instead of a 1440p, 1600p or 4k monitor for the same price.

I am one of Apple's biggest customers year round but I am not going to defend them if it doesnt make any sense to.

No doubt, your argument makes sense, but the fact of the matter is that there is not ENOUGH difference in MOST phone screens to get all uppity about. Do I want the best screen possible at any given time? Sure, but not at the expense of battery life or functionality (I feel like I'm being obviously obvious here, but just making a point). At this point, it's more about which OS you really want in your life, with the way the phone looks being a close second.

I didnt like the handholding comfort of the iphone 4, i preferred the rounded of the previous iphone. Im glad they went back to this shape.

I can only assume the back ugliness (which i only dislike on one color) is more about engineering and manufacturing and function than aesthetic appeal.

The sticking out camera is lame. Hopefully it improves next year.

Using a great phone is not enough, they want to be seen using a stylish phone. :eek:

you're probably right, at least for the time being. With the addition of the touch ID sensor last year and it now being required for Apple pay, it seems like it's here to stay for the moment.

If I had to speculate, I'd guess that they're using a 1080p screen for performance and battery life purposes. 2560x1440, while awesome on my 27", really seems completely overkill on a 5.5" screen (I'd even argue that 1080 might be a bit as well, but I have yet to use either one so take that for what it is). Unless games and 3D tasks are really dumbed down (or rendered at a lower resolution and upscaled), a mobile GPU would have a tough time keeping up with that many pixels, not to mention the battery. Many desktop grade GPU's even have problems rendering games and such at 1440p, so not sure how good a decision it is to have one especially at the rate that mobile games are progressing, image quality/shader/etc wise.

you're probably right, at least for the time being. With the addition of the touch ID sensor last year and it now being required for Apple pay, it seems like it's here to stay for the moment.

If I had to speculate, I'd guess that they're using a 1080p screen for performance and battery life purposes. 2560x1440, while awesome on my 27", really seems completely overkill on a 5.5" screen (I'd even argue that 1080 might be a bit as well, but I have yet to use either one so take that for what it is). Unless games and 3D tasks are really dumbed down (or rendered at a lower resolution and upscaled), a mobile GPU would have a tough time keeping up with that many pixels, not to mention the battery. Many desktop grade GPU's even have problems rendering games and such at 1440p, so not sure how good a decision it is to have one especially at the rate that mobile games are progressing, image quality/shader/etc wise.

Correct. Apple Pay is here and the combo Touch ID and Home button is the best solution at this time.

As for the resolution, when I purchased the Note 2, it was a huge jump in user experience.
The Note 2 only had a 720p display and many people are still using that phone today.
It was just fine for me then and 1080p is just fine on the Note 3 now.

Since when 1440p was even necessary for a phone? When the marketing departments said so? 4K screens next year and they gotta have that too right.
As for the lines on the back of the phone, obviously for better NFC and antenna performance. You want poor performance instead and more style?

People need to check their expectations and make sure it's in line with reality.

No doubt, your argument makes sense, but the fact of the matter is that there is not ENOUGH difference in MOST phone screens to get all uppity about. Do I want the best screen possible at any given time? Sure, but not at the expense of battery life or functionality (I feel like I'm being obviously obvious here, but just making a point). At this point, it's more about which OS you really want in your life, with the way the phone looks being a close second.

Both OSes are fine with me. I am not tied to any one ecosystem. There really isnt anything I do on one that I cant do on another. So it completely goes to hardware features. The LG G3 has decent battery life despite the screen. I dont really know how many people dont charge every night. I think the minimum battery life is one day with miderate gaming. Anything above that is gravy. But most top end phones already have that. I just want the best hardware for my money. Everytime I buy a phone I am always ready to spend $$$ to get what is closest to my needs.

Back