New iPhone(s) on September 9th

I don't think that there is any doubt that there is quite a bit of slippage with regard to apple's iphone and brand loyalty.

Bigger phones have really hurt apple imo. LTE has been particularly disruptive, and has really accelerated the change in how smartphones are used. People just don't ad-hoc browse the internet now; and all you need to know to demonstrate this is when every discussion forum has posts about "screen on time".

Apple has lost their design edge, and there are now android manufacturers possess distinct and powerful brands:

LG is buttonless
Samsung has screen tech that has no rival
Moto has customization along with value

Note4 appears to have almost no bezel and represents another serious blow to the vaunted iphone design.

Can't really justify people buying a 750x pixel with blackbars, way inferior screen tech to moto amd samsung, and lack of any true multitasking (check the tab s split screen: it will be standard soon on all android devices and it will literally be a game breaking event when people can minimize youtube videos to the bottom and browse chrome at the same time).

I don't think that there is any doubt that there is quite a bit of slippage with regard to apple's iphone and brand loyalty.

Bigger phones have really hurt apple imo. LTE has been particularly disruptive, and has really accelerated the change in how smartphones are used. People just don't ad-hoc browse the internet now; and all you need to know to demonstrate this is when every discussion forum has posts about "screen on time".

Apple has lost their design edge, and there are now android manufacturers possess distinct and powerful brands:

LG is buttonless
Samsung has screen tech that has no rival
Moto has customization along with value

Note4 appears to have almost no bezel and represents another serious blow to the vaunted iphone design.

Can't really justify people buying a 750x pixel with blackbars, way inferior screen tech to moto amd samsung, and lack of any true multitasking (check the tab s split screen: it will be standard soon on all android devices and it will literally be a game breaking event when people can minimize youtube videos to the bottom and browse chrome at the same time).
My m8 has less bezel then my 5s and it's a pain in the ass holding the m8 without accidentally touching the edge and doing something I didn't want it to do.

Again, the screen size is great. That being said as you increase the screen size you are loosing ease of use using the device one handed. Further, the m8 and s5 both barely fit on my pockets. Just way to big.

I always see people say the screen tech is inferior. Maybe it is. Doesn't change the fact that the display ultimately tests better at release.

Last edited:
My m8 has less bezel then my 5s and it's a pain in the ass holding the m8 without accidentally touching the edge and doing something I didn't want it to do.

Again, the screen size is great. That being said as you increase the screen size you are loosing ease of use using the device one handed. Further, the m8 and s5 both barely fit on my pockets. Just way to big.

What you lose with the nominal loss of 1 handed use, you gain in efficiency by possessing a far more optimal resolution:screensize ratio.

the 1 hand use argument is simply hand waving and semantics. People do not write emails with 1 hand. People do not text with 1 hand.

People play games in landscape with 2 hands
People watch movies in landscape with 1 hand
People browse the internet with 1 hand

you're simply in the minority and the 1 hand argument isnt valid anymore. LTE has literally changed how devices are used forever.

I'm confused as to how a larger screen was supposed to make me more productive. All it did was allow me to view videos and play games with a bigger screen.

Enjoy your big screen. I sure didn't/don't. If I had the luxury of using a device two handed I could have just as easily jumped on my computer or pulled out the iPad instead.

I always see people say the screen tech is inferior. Maybe it is. Doesn't change the fact that the display ultimately tests better at release.

OLED blows LCD out of the water. The sidebyside comparisons of watching any type of media underscore how far superior OLED is.

Samsung hasn't been saturating their colors since the s4. You can check displaymate and anandtech reviews for that. The s4 was the turning point where you could say that there is now zero arguments to be made over who possesses the best screen tech.

I'm confused as to how a larger screen was supposed to make me more productive. All it did was allow me to view videos and play games with a bigger screen.

Enjoy your big screen. I sure didn't/don't. If I had the luxury of using a device two handed I could have just as easily jumped on my computer or pulled out the iPad instead.

I see more images per page on google images
I do not generalyl have to pinch to zoom to read
I scroll far less than you do completing any task (e.g. looking through contacts)

More information is presented to me immediately with a single touch. It's simple mathematics.

lol, those are you arguments for why a bigger screen is better? Google imagines and scrolling less?

Pinch to zoom is the only, albeit barely, legitimate argument you have.

An absurdly HUGE lol @ the google images statement .

OLED blows LCD out of the water. The sidebyside comparisons of watching any type of media underscore how far superior OLED is.

Samsung hasn't been saturating their colors since the s4. You can check displaymate and anandtech reviews for that. The s4 was the turning point where you could say that there is now zero arguments to be made over who possesses the best screen tech.
pretty sure that the color accuracy of the S4 was still awful. S5 is the first time Samsung calibrated the screen properly.

Yeah, I've used the GS4 and GS5 -- the GS4 had a slightly sickly hue, and the PenTile effect was still fairly apparent. The GS5 is much better, although I'd resist the Cult of AMOLED's suggestion that its display is flawless in every way (I prefer the One M8's panel overall).

I remember at the time the screen was fine, it was no droid MAXX but it was still fairly decent.

LCD is inferior since it has many more cons compared to OLED:

- lost of details in dark scenes
- black presented as gray
- back light bleed
- worse viewing angle
- bad pixels
- makes for a thicker phone due to back light layer
- higher battery consumption

LCD has a use for budget phones though.

LCD is inferior since it has many more cons compared to OLED:

- lost of details in dark scenes
- black presented as gray
- back light bleed
- worse viewing angle
- bad pixels
- makes for a thicker phone due to back light layer
- higher battery consumption

LCD has a use for budget phones though.

Cool.

None of this changes the fact that the iPhones at time of release consistently score better then pretty much everything else on the market. Same goes with the M8 which is a LCD.

We all understand that certain technologies are better. That doesn't mean fuck-all when said better-technology is not implemented in a practical way that is actually better.

It's like me saying the Rotary engine is the best ICE ever, and from a spec-sheet standpoint it's one of the best ways to do an ICE. Doesn't change the fact that for practical purposes it's never been implemented in a decent way.

And really, you're smoking a fat one if you think Apple will continue to use LCD-IPS for their display forever. Once an OLED panel is made that *actually* performs better you can be damn sure Apple will pick it up and/or play their patent troll game.

I really liked the M8 hardware, but bought the 5S because it's smaller. Small hands and uncomfortable in pockets!

He has the audacity to point out bad pixels when Samsung uses Pentile?

And, so far, LCD are still better in battery life on average because most websites do not use a black background, etc. OLED is only way more power efficient with dark backgrounds, but that is not the case for most images shown on screen. I also do not expect this to change anytime soon if ever as backlight tech will continue to improve probably at a faster rate than oled would.

I can also guarantee someone can BS an even longer list of cons for Samsung's amoled so far.

Oh wow. You want to use a 720p video battery test of a 6" phone with a 3500 mAh battery? What about it's web browsing time against phones with comparable hardware and especially battery capacity? That's right. You're totally delusional, TTL. HINT: BATTERY CAPACITY HAS A LOT TO DO WITH BATTERY LIFE

Seriously, is this the kind of BS always spinning in your head?

Last edited:
This thread is going places, thanks guys. :rolleyes:

The short answer: it doesn't matter whether it's LCD or OLED. All that matters is it's a good-looking display with accurate-yet-rich colors and high brightness; these days, it's possible to do that with either technology.

Lets get back on track here;

- iPhone 6 is the real name for the 4.7" version ?
- Will the 5.5" iPhone Air be announced or at least shown off next week ?
- Do you think Apple is holding off the 5.5" phone release on purpose, to allow the new 4.7" version sell in the mega millions for a couple months, and then around Christmas time release the 5.5" ?
- Battery life ? Very curious if these new iPhone's will be on par with the better battery Android phones ?
- Waterproof ?
- Widgets on the home screen allowed yet ?

Lets get back on track here;

- iPhone 6 is the real name for the 4.7" version ?
- Will the 5.5" iPhone Air be announced or at least shown off next week ?
- Do you think Apple is holding off the 5.5" phone release on purpose, to allow the new 4.7" version sell in the mega millions for a couple months, and then around Christmas time release the 5.5" ?
- Battery life ? Very curious if these new iPhone's will be on par with the better battery Android phones ?
- Waterproof ?
- Widgets on the home screen allowed yet ?

Likely answers in order:

1. Probably! Maybe both.
2. Most likely.
3. Nope. Why purposefully turn down money?
4. Hard to know, since we don't have the full picture. How efficient is the A8, or the display? What's the shipping battery capacity?
5. Nope. Not based on the design, anyway.
6. Nope, not in iOS 8.

Oh wow. You want to use a 720p video battery test of a 6" phone with a 3500 mAh battery? What about it's web browsing time against phones with comparable hardware and especially battery capacity? That's right. You're totally delusional, TTL. HINT: BATTERY CAPACITY HAS A LOT TO DO WITH BATTERY LIFE

Seriously, is this the kind of BS always spinning in your head?

*cough*

Galaxy S4 Mini (4.3" Super AMOLED) with 1900mAh battery : 13:12h

Apple iPhone 5S (4.0" LCD) with 1900mAh battery: 10:31h

This is one ugly phone..................

Hope it just a mockup, and not even close to final...

Must be a decoy because it's unimaginable for Apple to borrow Samsung's 2012 Note II pebble design and make it worse.

175060-Galaxy-Note-II-review-2.jpg

gsmarena_002.jpg

*cough*

Galaxy S4 Mini (4.3" Super AMOLED) with 1900mAh battery : 13:12h

Apple iPhone 5S (4.0" LCD) with 1900mAh battery: 10:31h

Get your specs straight!

Galaxy S4 Mini - 540 x 960 pentile pixels, 1900 mAh battery, 4th generation Snapdragon 400 developed for low powered devices

vs

Apple iPhone 5S - 640 x 1136 pixels, 1560 mAh, first generation 64 bit processor A7 developed for flagship devices

And here we go on the video tests again...

--------------------------------

And mi7chy, yes, it looks like a 2nd Gen iPod Touch from 2009...

Yeah, trying to compare such dissimilar hardware is... well, disingenuous.

Now, you'd have a better argument if you were comparing the GS5 Mini (not the GS4 Mini) to the iPhone 5c, since they're the companies' current mid-range devices... and even then, we're a week away from the iPhone launches, so it'd be a pretty short-lived argument.

And mi7chy, yes, it looks like a 2nd Gen iPod Touch from 2009...

Hahaha... I remember those old iPod touches. I think one model was thin, and then Apple turned around and made it uncomfortably thin. My niece wanted one and I went to an Apple store to play with one. The thing kept slipping out of my hand.

Hahaha... I remember those old iPod touches. I think one model was thin, and then Apple turned around and made it uncomfortably thin. My niece wanted one and I went to an Apple store to play with one. The thing kept slipping out of my hand.

I went into an Apple store to play with one, wanted a cool mp3 player for running and it was already cracked!

Almost bought it but then my frugal side won over :(

Last edited:
Grab a beer, sit back, and enjoy. More fun than watching a monkey "play" with a football.
I just hate haters and fanbois alike. Make people accuse me of being a fanboy and hater on the same day. Logic.

Oh and here's a picture from 2009 for those who forgot:
2G_BCKCVRTCH_8GB-2.jpg

Last edited:
Don't understand why people are so afraid of being critical of companies. They're companies... Should recognize the flaws and pressure them to change.

@CHANG3D,

Yup that's it. For a while people wanted the next iPhone to feature a tapered design like the Touch and I thought, are these people crazy? That thing feels like it was designed to fly out of your hand. I worry that Apple's march toward thinner will cause the other OEMs to follow.

You presented "evidence" which means the fun should end... but will it?

If we're talking PMP don't forget the Samsung 7600 pebble shape came before the iPod 3GS:

samsung_m7600_1.jpg

Since we're talking about pebbles, why don't you go straight to the source?

IMG_20140826_165155828.jpg

And what's an iPod 3GS?

Update: Oh, hey, Kenny, looks like we had the same idea!

Yes, mi7chy, that picture isn't even as relevant as this one:
pebble.jpg

If only God filed design patents...

P.S. I'm not saying I like the looks of the iPhone 6/air, just saying TTL is being ridiculous as usual.

And, the original source of the iPhone 4, 4S, 5 and 5S design. So, we can now all agree that everything evolves from previous things.

13841429367758.jpg

And, the original source of the iPhone 4, 4S, 5 and 5S design. So, we can now all agree that everything evolves from previous things.

Way to change the subject...lol. How many bottles of snake oil do you sell a day?

Back