new iPhone, Android device, or Lumia 1020?

Prose

Weaksauce
Hello everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to weigh in and provide any opinions and/or recommendations. My iPhone 4 is pretty banged up, pretty much ready to move on here to something new. I previously had the iPhone 3 before the 4.

While I haven't done any insane amounts of research, I'm interested in some of the other platforms as well. I was wondering if you guys might be able to point me perhaps in the right direction.

I've found generally after all these years, I hardly use any apps. There was the original "neato" period but to be honest I find I basically just use a few things.

Email is essential. I do a lot of that. For work we run w/ Outlook etc and my personal email is w/ gmail. My iPhone has handled most of that stuff fine but I found tasks/calendars a bit more of a problem syncing well together. It'd be nice to have those all playing nicely.

My tasks/calendars are in outlook w/ the rest of my works stuff... I find I use OneNote a lot more now for work and I liked being able to flag tasks in there and have them play with my phone nicely.

Other than that, my phone is mostly a casual browser along with some Google Maps usage. If I moved from iOS I would be missing out on having a lot of my friends over the iChat service or whatever, but that's no deal breaker for me either.

I thought the Lumia 1020 camera was pretty enticing, I'll admit that's something I've always wanted to be better on my phones, and wondered how well the OS could integrate with my other work related needs? Would I be shooting myself too much in the foot with regards to other services? It's a phone OS I have zero experience with.

Android looks really enticing too but do I really gain anything or just stick with Apple in that case? I do like the larger screen formats I've seen out there...

Thanks for any help here! Basically looking for recommendations on what would be a good choice for the next few years.

Because you mention so many Microsoft products being used in your day-to-day I would say get the 1020

Also, Nokia maps, and getting non-add Pandora is amazing. No need for Google Maps......

I have an HTC Radar running WP 7.8, I will be upgrading and leaving WP, mainly because there is nothing important I do on a daily that justifies one OS over the other..... I work in IT and am always issued a phone to use for work.

Also the camera on the 1020 is quite nice and easy to use. As well as having all of those Microsoft products on the phone from start up (OneNote, Office suite, and Outlook).

I have 3 g-mails, and 2 outlooks on my phone right now and while only 2 of those are being pushed as soon as content is available, they all work seamlessly.

However with all of that said, any smart phone can do what you like. Albeit Microsoft app's or 3rd party app's......I only say go with the Nokia because you use so many MS app's, build quality, camera, wireless charging, NFC, and the Nokia maps/Pandora......the list goes on.

I use all three platforms, and I actually wouldn't be big on a Windows Phone for Gmail. You can definitely set it up on a Windows Phone, but the integration isn't all that smooth.

I'd be tempted to get an iPhone, if simply because it's what you're used to and will offer better built-in Exchange support (you can get that through the Outlook apps on Android and iOS, but it's not quite so low-level). My inclination is toward the iPhone 5s, but you'll be more than fine if you decide you only need the iPhone 5c.

The Lumia 1020's camera is awesome, although it's inconsistent -- I'd say about a quarter of shots have odd color issues, and it's not fast (surprise, it takes a long time to process 38MP photos). Apple's cameras tend to be consistently good more than anything else. You won't always get the best possible shot, but you'll rarely get a bad shot.

I have now all three devices.

IOS is tried tested and true well 6 was 7 has some odd issues with exchange 2013.
Android is constantly updated great customization and tons of apps. Does have quirks. I have a Nexus and I love it its getting close to 2.5 years now and its still going strong.
WP I found to be actually not bad but lack of apps and the horrible built in apps for email just killed the phone for me. Lack luster customization and grouping not to mention horrible color scheme is just disappointing. MS just doesn't care imho, they released RDP for android and ios yet nothing for WP? WTF?

Thanks for the feedback guys. Much appreciated. I'll let you guys know which item I choose.

Definitely lots of choices.

I went from Samsung Galaxy S2 to a Lumia 1020.

I love the 1020, mainly for the camera and that camera doc with extra battery, BUT!

Windows Phone 8, really is fucked up!!! Now, don't get me wrong, you can use it, but it really messes my head up. Lately, I just been trying to make myself believe I am retarded and MS really knows best, so I make myself happy, but for fuck sakes.

Can't even manage files. But now MS has convinced me that I should not care and that they did it by design for my own good.

Example, want to copy some FLAC music to play on my 1020? Forget it! Now don't even try to ask me why not. Just accept it! MS says mp3s are good enough for us. Wanna play some music from some folders you copied over. NO. MS says Playlists are better, so just go with it.

hehe, I kid. Well not really but it really is weird but not a deal breaker. At least that is what I say to myself after plunking down £500 for a 1020.

I have been wanting the Lumia to come to sprint so that I won't have to change wireless providers since I have been a Sprint customer since 2001 and until recently was offered slightly better deals on things. The current WP I have has stopped receiving updates but I haven't had any issues syncing it with gmail, msn mail and yahoo mail but I may just be lucky. Whichever phone you decide to go with, please post back with your experience as I'm also looking for a new phone. Thanks!

I have a s3 right now, a ipad and a galaxy tab 2. The more I use android the more I dislike it. If apple would make a 4.5inch screened phone I would jump ship and never look back. Hell I might just get a iphone 5 and be done with android.

My problem is the devices are more then capable speed wise but the os just isnt as smooth as ios

I went from Samsung Galaxy S2 to a Lumia 1020.

I love the 1020, mainly for the camera and that camera doc with extra battery, BUT!

Windows Phone 8, really is fucked up!!! Now, don't get me wrong, you can use it, but it really messes my head up. Lately, I just been trying to make myself believe I am retarded and MS really knows best, so I make myself happy, but for fuck sakes.

Can't even manage files. But now MS has convinced me that I should not care and that they did it by design for my own good.

Example, want to copy some FLAC music to play on my 1020? Forget it! Now don't even try to ask me why not. Just accept it! MS says mp3s are good enough for us. Wanna play some music from some folders you copied over. NO. MS says Playlists are better, so just go with it.

hehe, I kid. Well not really but it really is weird but not a deal breaker. At least that is what I say to myself after plunking down £500 for a 1020.

Use WMA lossless if you want to listen to lossless music on you phone. Heck, I use it everywhere. Full windows integration and pretty much every music player supports it.

Back