New iPad today what do you expect?

To me the funniest part of all of this are the people dumping the original iPad now: since about 10:30AM Pacific time, I've been keeping an eye on the Las Vegas Craigslist computer and electronics categories and no fewer than 40 iPads have appeared/disappeared from the listings in the past few hours. Funny stuff, and people are still asking insanely high prices for 'em...

64GB model w/o 3G, $600+... crazy stuff.

You can buy a new one cheaper than that. Some people don't realise the ipad doesn't hold it's value like the iphone. Then again some idiot could still pay that much you never know.

Really nice update, super thin and really fast (check out the video on Engadget). It's thinner than an iPhone 4 for chrissakes. I also like the new cover and how it seriously reduces the bulk of the device (mine lives in its case).

That said, I'm probably going to wait until they get 2x res displays in these things. A 2048x1536 display with whatever else they do as far as speed/feature improvements in the future will make for one hell of a tablet.

EDIT: Shit, I just put my iPhone 4 and my iPad side by side and I realized that the iPad in its case is literally twice as thick as my iPhone 4 in the bumper. The new iPad, even with the cover on, is closer to the thickness of my Kindle 3 which I love holding in my hands. That would make my carry-on bag for flying even nicer than before. Ah, first world problems. :(

Last edited:
You can buy a new one cheaper than that. Some people don't realise the ipad doesn't hold it's value like the iphone. Then again some idiot could still pay that much you never know.

Maybe you didn't read what I wrote, but I did point out someone is selling a 64GB iPad (original model) without 3G capability which retails for $699 - again this is the original iPad 64GB non-3G model - and they're asking $600 for it as a used item which is only $99 off the full retail price so no, I can't get one brand new for that price because it's $699 brand new. $699 new > $600 used...

I wouldn't pay over $350-400 tops for an original 64GB non-3G model. Hell, I wouldn't pay over $400 for any of 'em, to be honest, not even the new one. :D

Maybe you didn't read what I wrote, but I did point out someone is selling a 64GB iPad (original model) without 3G capability which retails for $699 - again this is the original iPad 64GB non-3G model - and they're asking $600 for it as a used item which is only $99 off the full retail price so no, I can't get one brand new for that price because it's $699 brand new. $699 new > $600 used...

I wouldn't pay over $350-400 tops for an original 64GB non-3G model. Hell, I wouldn't pay over $400 for any of 'em, to be honest, not even the new one. :D

The 64GB with WIFI is now $599 new, so it makes the craigslist deal even worse.

Really nice update, super thin and really fast (check out the video on Engadget). It's thinner than an iPhone 4 for chrissakes. I also like the new cover and how it seriously reduces the bulk of the device (mine lives in its case).

That said, I'm probably going to wait until they get 2x res displays in these things. A 2048x1536 display with whatever else they do as far as speed/feature improvements in the future will make for one hell of a tablet.

It is a rather nice refresh, only crazy resolution expectations of some lead to a let down.

I am still doubtful that even iPad 3 will have have 2048x1536. Apple may just decide to add a new supported resolution that is some smaller increase. 1600x1200 would still be killer on a screen this small.

So I'm still on the fence on which to buy. I don't really care of the cameras and since the display is the same I was thinking the iPad 1. But I'd also like to be able to watch some of my anime on it using VLC and other 720p HD video, but I had heard that the iPad doesn't that handle HD well. Is this true?

Would I be better off finding some software to convert video media to something the iPad will recognize?

Last edited:
So I'm still on the fence on which to buy. I don't really care of the cameras and since the display is the same I was thinking the iPad 1. But I'd also like to be able to watch some of my anime on it using VLC and other 720p HD video, but I had heard that the iPad does that handle HD well. Is this true?

Would I be better off finding some software to convert video media to something the iPad will recognize?

Works perfectly well on my HD videos through AirVideo.

I use a boxwave capacitive stylus for math in Penultimate. I use a bluetooth keyboard(Apple Wireless) for typing in class(rare right now, should be more common next semester and on). I bought it as a toy for games, movies, and browsing on the go(and it is my main browser for couch/bed surfing). Now I use it almost as much in a utilitarian aspect.

Thanks. Yeah I've tried out Penultimate with a Targus stylus. The iPad is a great device but this is something that its pretty woeful at honestly compared to a Tablet PC. As many have stated Windows 7 isn't designed for touch and the iPad isn't designed for ink.

But this is one reason why Apple does do well. Even when Apple's offering is poor people still think that its the latest and greatest or best solution out there when indeed devices a decade old are much better for ink. Not saying that's you, and if the iPad works for you as a note taker awesome. Having to no eraser or handwriting recognition or OS level search on ink pretty much kills the iPad for me in the note taking area. And this is even with Jobs declaring styli as an indication of failure.

Pretty amazing the Apple world is at times.

It's a great upgrade, but anyone thinking they need to go from the first gen to this second one is nuts. Love my iPad to death, but its still blazing fast and chugging along like a beast.

When the next gen comes out, as long as it's substantially better than the first, I'll probably grab it. The lacking retina display is a killer for me. I was really looking forward to that.

All of the rumors about an SD card got me excited too. That'd be an awesome addition (big photography nerd here). It's just a faster/lighter first gen, which is great for those who are ready to make a purchase, just not a game changer like the first gen was.

I am actually disappointed that the ipad 2 does not have a SD slot or USB port.... While the dual core A5 chip and 2 camera's is nice, it is not worth a upgrade. Not impressed.

I say if you do not have one and really want one then go for it. But if you have already have the G1 then I say no need to upgrade...

Well, I have to upgrade to this. I was hopeful for a retina display, but this will do. My fiance has been more excited about my hand-me-down IPad than I was about my first new one. But now I use it every day; looking forward to the minuscule upgrade.

He's giving the old one to his fiancé.

I understand that, but he's essentially buying the same device in his own words, he described it as "minuscule" upgrade. I buy a lot of tech, done a number of minuscule upgrades myself, never have looked forward to them. It's usually the big ones that I get anxious about.

Every guy knows when your girl is happy, you are happy. :D

Besides, its $500 bucks for a new one. That's nothing. Her ring - now that I was an anxious and expensive purchase. At least with this purchase I get a new toy, and I kind of wanted the 3G one anyway. World keeps on spinning.

Anyone know if the A5 is clock-for-clock faster than the A4 at single threaded operations? Are there any pipeline improvements? Does anyone actually care except me? :)

Anyone know if the A5 is clock-for-clock faster than the A4 at single threaded operations? Are there any pipeline improvements? Does anyone actually care except me? :)

I do I believe it is the same or faster, because it uses the Cortex A9 eagle at its core, but no one is sure of anything yet because this will be the first device released I believe with the A9 correct me if I am wrong.

It could be the iPad XL but if the person buying describes it as a miniscule upgrade, his words, not mine, my only point is what is there to look forward to? When it comes to looking forward to tech, I make the average Apple fan look like a choir boy. I didn't get the one of the first HP Slates without some leg work and yeah, I looked forward to that device because it was the first pure Windows slate I'd had since 2003. Got the EP121 the next month and looked forward to that as well but that's a HELL of an upgrade over the HP Slate overall except battery life. But an Sandy Bridge EP121 R2 with another camera, yawn. Now I need a machine with a detachable keyboard, AMD Fusion and Kinect software to look forward to it.

I guess Apple folks are easy to please in a way. Comes into TWO colors now, run to the Apple store quick!

For someone who loves themself that much, I can't believe you aren't a diehard apple fan.

If Apple made products that gave some us a reason to be a "diehard fan" maybe we would. Honestly, the only thing I've seen from them in years that's truly innovative - and I mean something that NOBODY ELSE HAS EVER EVER DONE...

It's that cool ass tri-folding cover shown off today. ;)

Yea that thing is kinda cool. I like that it's a stand. I keep telling myself to get a xoom but I can't tell if it's worth the extra $. I gotta have something - I the iPad is too damn handy for travelling. Give me another option with a solid 8 hour battery. I am going to The cayman islands to get married and Hawaii a month after that.

For someone who loves themself that much, I can't believe you aren't a diehard apple fan.

I'm not sure what Apple has to do with it. I'm simply pointing out the obvious, if one doesn't love oneself, who will? Don't mistake self-love with arrogance, admittedly it's a fine line. In a place like this, full of hate and negativity people who didn't care about themselves would be slitting their wrists. :p

Yea that thing is kinda cool. I like that it's a stand. I keep telling myself to get a xoom but I can't tell if it's worth the extra $.

The Xoom is supposed to be a good tablet so if you want it and can afford it, go for it. Just be weary that the Android market isn't filled with apps designed for tablets yet, but I've heard that they scale well.

If Apple made products that gave some us a reason to be a "diehard fan" maybe we would. Honestly, the only thing I've seen from them in years that's truly innovative - and I mean something that NOBODY ELSE HAS EVER EVER DONE...

Sort of reminds me of the EP121 case though that's not as slick. The EP121's case also serves as a three-way stand. I guess Asus threw that in with the Bluetooth keyboard when they left out the dock that they showed at last years Computex.

If I gave you $500 (and extra to cover any tax) to buy a tablet with the best out of the box experience, which would you buy?

I say "out of the box" because I know you'd buy a Nook color, which I just did too. However, if I had $500 instead of my $200, I'd definitely get an ipad. Yes the $799 xoom is better than the similarly priced ipad... but the $500 ipad is better than anything at that price point and down.

The competition simply has no answer for the entry level ipad. We can argue all day long that the $500 ipad is not worth $500, but the competition really has been left baffled by it.

I'd never pay more than $500 for a tablet, so that's me Joe Average talking. Lets talk about the <$500 price range.

[Ordered a nook color Monday]

The Xoom is supposed to be a good tablet so if you want it and can afford it, go for it. Just be weary that the Android market isn't filled with apps designed for tablets yet, but I've heard that they scale well.

The problem right now with Android tablets is that they just don't differentiate themselves enough at this price point from the iPad to be worth it to most folks. If you love to hack then sure but the typical person looking for an entertainment oriented slate, the iPad is the way to go. Even Windows devices, while not nearly as touch friendly as Android devices, do at least do things that iPads don't, especially the ones with active pens.

It'll be interesting to see how the market receives Android devices with active pens like the Flyer, which is will be the biggest differentiator between Android devices and the iPad to date I think.

Last edited:
The problem right now with Android tablets is that they just don't differentiate themselves enough at this price point from the iPad to be worth it to most folks. If you love to hack then sure but the typical person looking for an entertainment oriented slate, the iPad is the way to go. Even Windows devices, while not nearly as touch friendly as Android devices, do at least do things that iPad's don't, especially the ones with active pens.

It'll be interesting to see how the market receives Android devices with active pens like the Flyer, which is will be the biggest differentiator between Android devices and the iPad to date I think.

Hopefully if Lenovo ever releases the LePad here in the states it will be comparable in specs and price to the iPad. Apple needs competition.

If I gave you $500 (and extra to cover any tax) to buy a tablet with the best out of the box experience, which would you buy?

I say "out of the box" because I know you'd buy a Nook color, which I just did too. However, if I had $500 instead of my $200, I'd definitely get an ipad. Yes the $799 xoom is better than the similarly priced ipad... but the $500 ipad is better than anything at that price point and down.

The competition simply has no answer for the entry level ipad. We can argue all day long that the $500 ipad is not worth $500, but the competition really has been left baffled by it.

I'd never pay more than $500 for a tablet, so that's me Joe Average talking. Lets talk about the <$500 price range.

[Ordered a nook color Monday]

Apparently the $629 3G 16GB iPad is the most popular, from what I've read just now by googling.

So lets change my hypothetical to $629 + tax, and down... which tablet is the best out of the box?

Hopefully if Lenovo ever releases the LePad here in the states it will be comparable in specs and price to the iPad. Apple needs competition.

I agree and it will be coming. I do think that Windows 8 will pose a more significant challenge to the iPad in the slate space than Android simply because I think Microsoft is going to throw a couple of curves into the game, name Kinect and Courier. Courier as a self-contained was canceled but a lot of it I have a strong feeling will be rolled into Windows 8.

Just a hunch but Microsoft has a lot of IP to throw into tablets, it’s not like they haven't been working on tablets and slates for decades, they just never pushed them. And this is kind of the way Microsoft operates. They never really lead but they can bring a big damn gun with them when they decide to pursue something and there's plenty of ways to leverage Windows in relation to slates.

At any rate Windows 8 will be a game changer or it will be a flop and the way to make it a game changer it to throw an assload of cool shit at the problem and Kinect and Courier would be two very compelling things to put into Windows slates that definitely set them apart from the competition. Combine these things with Windows 8 ARM and while it may not be an iPad killer it’s something that couldn’t be ignored like desktop based Windows 7 slates.

Back