New iPad today what do you expect?

Magnetic case????

2usuzdj.jpg

Magnetic case????

*snip*

It attaches using thin magnets like the kind you'd find on refrigerators, I suppose, embedded in the iPad itself (since it's made primarily of an aluminum casing) and then magnets embedded in the "case" - it's a cover, more accurately described since it doesn't fully wrap around the whole iPad, but whatever.

There's no hard drive in the iPad sooo... ;)

Do you think any of the other android slates coming out this year would be worth waiting for over the ipad 2 or xoom?

I ask because I know you are obsessed with tablets ;)

The only other Android device on my radar is the HTC Flyer as it has a dual-mode pen and multi-touch digitizer. If pens are of no interest to you then the 7" Flyer probably wouldn't be the device for you.

Then there are the hybrid devices with keyboards like the Asus Transformer, there are a lot of people that still love their keyboards and this device has gotten attention because of that feature.

Yeah, funny thing about tablet computers is that I've been using them and predicting their emergence for almost two decades now so I guess I like getting into tablet discussions as I now feel vindicated.;)

Hmm. Cleared out the cache and it's still pushing me the old tech specs page.

The only other Android device on my radar is the HTC Flyer as it has a dual-mode pen and multi-touch digitizer. If pens are of no interest to you then the 7" Flyer probably wouldn't be the device for you.

Then there are the hybrid devices with keyboards like the Asus Transformer, there are a lot of people that still love their keyboards and this device has gotten attention because of that feature.

Yeah, funny thing about tablet computers is that I've been using them and predicting their emergence for almost two decades now so I guess I like getting into tablet discussions as I now feel vindicated.;)

I am actually very interested in being able to use a pen. I am going to have to check that one out, thanks!

Just ordered a nook color to use for now (Mainly for reading and watching video)

I wouldn't touch an Android tablet until more developers start making native apps for the device. That's the real thing holding back Android. However, this can very quickly and easily change.

Oh, and they need to start meeting or beating the pricepoint Apple is setting. None of this $800 minimum BS.

I was expecting at least some iOS updates. I still want to get the iPad 2 but I am kind of disappointed. At least they have WHITE.

Specs page is up, no mention of RAM. Probably 512MB this time.

I wouldn't touch an Android tablet until more developers start making native apps for the device. That's the real thing holding back Android. However, this can very quickly and easily change.

Oh, and they need to start meeting or beating the pricepoint Apple is setting. None of this $800 minimum BS.

$600 minimum (no 3G). Remember, that is right in line with an iPad (no 3G) with the same storage size...

Speaking, of course, of the Xoom.

I'm interested to see which of these iOS improvements come to my iPad 1. Also, did I catch that correctly in that you are going to be able to use AppleTV as a remote presentation device? That will certainly bring the iPad to the conference room.

$600 minimum (no 3G). Remember, that is right in line with an iPad (no 3G) with the same storage size...

Really when you compare Android, iPads and even Windows slates prices are very much in line with the hardware specs. Windows tend to be more expsensive, like the EP121 which starts at a $1k but that's a Core i5 CPU, 2GB RAM 32 GB SSD and a pretty large and expensive screen and digitizers.

It attaches using thin magnets like the kind you'd find on refrigerators, I suppose, embedded in the iPad itself (since it's made primarily of an aluminum casing) and then magnets embedded in the "case" - it's a cover, more accurately described since it doesn't fully wrap around the whole iPad, but whatever.

There's no hard drive in the iPad sooo... ;)

What would be sweet is if you could stick the ipad to your fridge while not in use...

Oh, that's good. Haven't read about the non-3G xoom yet.

While I'm not the biggest Apple fan out there (no, I didn't just say that, really?) I gotta admit that, of what was shown today, I have to say the cover is probably the most interesting. I have to hand it to "someone" at Apple for the concept and the design as it is pretty damned awesome for what it is.

"Simplicity is the highest form of sophistication." -- Leonardo da Vinci

I think even Leo would find that cover pretty damned impressive stuff. ;)

Slashgear has some photos of the white iPad 2. Like the white iPhone 4, it's absolutely gorgeous (though the iPad looks better from the back in my opinion).

And from a college student note-taking perspective [what I use my iPad for], no improvements whatsoever. iOS updates are always nice though.

What I'm mostly excited about is Garageband for the iPad, though. I hope it had MIDI support - would be really nice if I could take my iPad and my Akai MPK Mini with me & be able to mess with ideas basically anywhere I like.

And from a college student note-taking perspective [what I use my iPad for], no improvements whatsoever. iOS updates are always nice though.

What I'm mostly excited about is Garageband for the iPad, though. I hope it had MIDI support - would be really nice if I could take my iPad and my Akai MPK Mini with me & be able to mess with ideas basically anywhere I like.

So how do you take notes on your iPad? Do you use a capacitive stylus and what applications? Thanks.

So how do you take notes on your iPad? Do you use a capacitive stylus and what applications? Thanks.

I use a boxwave capacitive stylus for math in Penultimate. I use a bluetooth keyboard(Apple Wireless) for typing in class(rare right now, should be more common next semester and on). I bought it as a toy for games, movies, and browsing on the go(and it is my main browser for couch/bed surfing). Now I use it almost as much in a utilitarian aspect.

Anyone know how much ram? Didn't say in the engadget live blog.

Apple isnt saying. We'll find out in two weeks when iSupply does a teardown. I don't think they ever announced the RAM amount for the original iPad either.

To me the funniest part of all of this are the people dumping the original iPad now: since about 10:30AM Pacific time, I've been keeping an eye on the Las Vegas Craigslist computer and electronics categories and no fewer than 40 iPads have appeared/disappeared from the listings in the past few hours. Funny stuff, and people are still asking insanely high prices for 'em...

64GB model w/o 3G, $600+... crazy stuff.

Back