New iPad today what do you expect?

TechBoy

2[H]4U
I love my iPad and I just really want more memory and battery life on it oh and flash support that will never come. Typing thismpost on it right now. I will probably get the new iPad too as it is the only one reasonably priced as a wifi only device with great battery life.

I’d guess it won’t be too different from the current iPad. Same screen resolution, a bit thinner and lighter, a RAM bump to 1 GB, maybe some additional storage, and FaceTime cameras. And a Verizon version, of course. The iPad 3 will probably be the huge wonder device redesign that’s been rumored forever.

I’m mainly hoping for a preview of iOS 5.

In addition to the expected minor spec bump, thinner case (hopefully lighter, too) and at least a Facetime camera, the most recent rumors point to 3G standard for no extra price.

EDIT: Oh, and many, many venomous blog comments on how Apple disappointed them.

...oh and flash support that will never come.

Flash is outmoded in Apple's eyes, and HTML5 is quickly being adopted by many of the big content sites.

Last edited:
Apple store is down for update i suspect we will find out soon

I live in the now, HTML5 video is pretty sparse at the moment and I cant watch 90% of the stuff I want to with out an app or at all. Anyways I am looking forward to iOS 5.

I expect an iPad that's flat on the back. I don't expect much else.

EDIT: No live stream this time I guess. Sucks.

Last edited:
Facetime camera
1.2ghz cpu
512mb ram

Perhaps a thunderbolt port.

That's pretty much it.

I'm more hopeful that they'll sneak in new imacs or minis.

So I am on CNET's live blog feed of the event and I am really getting frustrated with the moderators of the live blog. People are commenting like "Go apple!", "I am running to an apple store ASAP!" and "Only way it will be better is if it comes with honeycomb". Yet I ask a question looking for a source of SJ claiming the iPad has a 90% market share of tablet PC's as a genuine question and it gets ignored.

I'm not an Apple fan by no means, but if there is a source to back up that quote, I am pretty damned impressed.

So I am on CNET's live blog feed of the event and I am really getting frustrated with the moderators of the live blog. People are commenting like go apple! I am running to an apple store ASAP!. Yet I ask a question looking for a source of SJ claiming the iPad has a 90% market share of tablet PC's as a genuine question and it gets ignored.

I'm not an Apple fan by no means, but if there is a source to back up that quote, I am pretty damned impressed.

That's why I prefer engadget or arstechnica. Seems to be less fanboyish. Engadget already posted that apple took the samsung VP quote out of context.

LOL! Year 2011: Year of the copycats? (With logos of HP, RIM, Google, Motorlla, etc.)

iPad 2 is the official name:

"Up to twice as fast on CPU performance," Jobs says. But the real speed is in graphics, which are 9 times faster, while using the same power as the processor from the first iPad."
"Also coming: Video cameras. Both a rear camera, and a front-facing camera."
"As well as a gyroscope."
"All this, and it's "dramatically thinner," Jobs says. How much? 33 percent thinner."

Slideshow picture:

"Dual-core processors"
"Up to 2x faster CPU"
"Up to 9x faster graphics"
"Same low power as A4"
"First dual core tablet to ship in volume"

Edit:
"Gone from 13.4mm to 8.8mm in thickness. Jobs says iPad 2 is actually thinner than iPhone 4."
"Getting first looks at it now. There's almost no metal part in the bezel around the screen."
"Jobs also says it's lighter from 1.5 lbs down to 1.3 lbs."
And it comes in two colors. White is shipping from day 1 Jobs says."

Alright, I'll stop. Just figured it would help with the discussion so that people know exactly what it will have.

1080p HDMI out. Now i'm impressed. More impressed if it can send 7.1 audio over that.

Anyone want to buy a gen 1 64gb ipad 3g? ;)

I didn't want to be but dammit I'm impressed. All the new features and still the same price points...only thing I haven't seen yet is screen res, which is rumored, unfortunately, to be the same as the original. Maybe same res but higher quality panel (original screen was awful with motion)?

Pretty sure most of us that are interested are watching or keeping up with at least one or two streams of updates from a variety of sources, so... this thread would just be rehashing the same shit if we do that... :D

I didn't want to be but dammit I'm impressed. All the new features and still the same price points...only thing I haven't seen yet is screen res, which is rumored, unfortunately, to be the same as the original. Maybe same res but higher quality panel (original screen was awful with motion)?

There's no possible way they could offer 9x the graphics performance at a resolution that's twice the original so, it can't be a Retina Display in this thing. No they haven't said it yet but, if they could pull off 9x the performance of 1024x768 with a 2048x1366 resolution screen requiring 4x the pixel pushing power, then I'd be impressed in the extremes, but I just can't see that happening.

iPad 3, maybe... iPad 2, nope. ;)

amazingly you'll still fetch a good amount on ebay for it, i'd imagine

I was going to do that awhile back but the ebay/paypal fees are re-god-damned-diculous. $80 just in fees alone when it's all said and done.

There's no possible way they could offer 9x the graphics performance at a resolution that's twice the original so
Well, "9x graphics performance" may just be referring to the power of the A5 itself. But "graphics performance" itself is a fairly meaningless metric — it doesn't mean it could drive a Retina display, after all.

I'm not saying 2048x1366 or some obscene res, but 1024x768 is just too small (big) for a 10" tablet...1280x1024 or whatever would be the correct ratio would be much appreciated...

Seems like there is nothing unexpected on the ipad 2. Pretty much exactly what everyone thought it would be.

I'm not saying 2048x1366 or some obscene res, but 1024x768 is just too small (big) for a 10" tablet...1280x1024 or whatever would be the correct ratio would be much appreciated...

Well, if they're going to offer a higher resolution screen, it's pretty obvious they're favoring quadrupling the pixel count based on the concept of the Retina Display itself on the iPhone/iPod touch. 1280x1024 = 4:3 aspect, same as 1024x768 with a few more pixels tossed in. Personally I still prefer an actual widescreen aspect even in spite of 1280x1024 offering that potential so one could watch actual 720p clips at native resolution, unlike what's possible right now with the original iPad.

If they haven't mentioned the resolution yet at this point in the demo, it's still something they might bring up... "one more thing..." style.

Well, if they're going to offer a higher resolution screen, it's pretty obvious they're favoring quadrupling the pixel count based on the concept of the Retina Display itself on the iPhone/iPod touch. 1280x1024 = 4:3 aspect, same as 1024x768 with a few more pixels tossed in. Personally I still prefer an actual widescreen aspect even in spite of 1280x1024 offering that potential so one could watch actual 720p clips at native resolution, unlike what's possible right now with the original iPad.

If they haven't mentioned the resolution yet at this point in the demo, it's still something they might bring up... "one more thing..." style.

Yeah...its just like thinking of playing a brand new pc on an old 15" fishbowl monitor at 800x600 or an Xbox 360 on a 20" console tv...who cares about the power if it doesn't look good doing what it's capable of?

Honestly, with the remark they just made about "playing 9 video streams at the same time" I wonder where they're hiding the Thunderbolt port? :D

damn, i wanted to get a moto xoom with honeycomb. but now i just dont know.
Honeycomb is a major improvement for Android tablets, but the market's going to favor the iPad for a while (the iPad has the apps, and there are some really fantastic apps). In a year's time, the decision would be a more difficult one to make.

Why? There was nothing surprising announced at all...

And I am not just trying to hate on apple, I like them and own an iPhone 4 but this doesn't seem like a very big upgrade to me. I'd go with the Xoom.

I wonder if it's possible to release sound effects packs for iMovie...this might be an interesting business opportunity for me.

Played with the Xoom for about an hour this weekend, nothing really grabbed be about it. The UI is very attractive but screen seems a bit iffy. Not worth $800 for essentially an entertainment device that's a direct competitor to the iPad. But if I were going with an Android slate this would be the one for now.

Played with the Xoom for about an hour this weekend, nothing really grabbed be about it. The UI is very attractive but screen seems a bit iffy. Not worth $800 for essentially an entertainment device that's a direct competitor to the iPad. But if I were going with an Android slate this would be the one for now.

Do you think any of the other android slates coming out this year would be worth waiting for over the ipad 2 or xoom?

I ask because I know you are obsessed with tablets ;)

A neat little upgrade, but I'm still happy with my iPad. If games designed for the iPad 2 don't work on the first gen one and they're actually compelling enough I might care enough to get one later in the year or just wait for the iPad 3.

I wonder if they upped the ram of the ipad2?

They are demoing garageband now. I wonder it if will have the podcast capability that it does on the mac....

Back