New iPad screen & case protection?

vr.

Supreme [H]ardness
Exploring my first exposure to Apple iPad ownership, 'the new iPad'. Still have it in the wrapper. My previous experience with screen protectors was the Sony Clie and a cardboard squeegee and there were always dust bubbles on those tiny screens.

In your experience of iPads, what screen protectors work best for visibility, smudge resistance, no bubbles under the protector, durability, ease of application, etc? On amazon I've seen film type and one that looks like a clear visor.

For a case cover I'm leaning towards a simple gel cover but am open to other recommendations here too.

I'll be buying online, sight unseen so any responses with links or product name are appreciated!

Last edited:
I always put a zagg invisibleshield on every idevice I own. adds no bulk and lasts a couple years barring any accidents that make the adhesive dirty. drawback is it makes your screen not feel quite as smooth as if it were naked. if your hand is sweaty it may bounce as you're trying to swipe something and register as a tap, for example. you get used to making sure that doesn't happen.

I found power support to be a good screen protector brand. Crystal clear has the best clarity and matte finish reduces finger prints the best.

I would avoid zagg invisible shield at all cost. They have the absolute worst film, orange peel and yellowing. They may have a good warranty, but why would you want to go through that process.

Last edited:
Smart cover and a leather sleeve. I tried an invisible shield on another device and hated it. Those kept my iPad in perfect condition, including the back.

Never understood the need for screen protectors. They're all crap. Apple spent a lot of r&d making a tough screen. Wth do you guys do with your devices to warrant putting a pos piece of plastic on them?

I have a screen on my devices. My original iPad got some decent scratches courtesy of a 4 year old. Sometimes things happen, and since I use these devices outdoors quite a bit, I actually like having a matte screen.

Never understood the need for screen protectors. They're all crap. Apple spent a lot of r&d making a tough screen. Wth do you guys do with your devices to warrant putting a pos piece of plastic on them?

Because the screens are scratch resistant, not scratch proof, and I plan on either A) keeping this thing for a long time to come or B) flipping it a month or two before the new iPad rumors start heating up. The Zaag does have orange peel but otherwise it really doesn't bother me, maybe I'm just used to it.

Because my phone spends the majority of its time in my pocket and other objects are in there is as well, I do have a Invisible Shield installed on it (as well as an Incase clear snap shield).

For my iPads however, I really like using the Smart Cover and a lightweight/thin back case such as the Incipio Smartfeather. With the SmartCover I don't need to use a screen shield since it's covered most of the time I'm not using it.

I'm a little paranoid so even with the smart cover and smart feather I *still* put it into an Incase Origami sleeve when it's being transported (the Origami case is also pretty cool to use as a stand)

I'm using a SwitchEasy canvas without a screen protector. Adds a little bulk and weight, but am happy with it and it's a quality product.

I've had four generations of iPhones, and I used screen protectors with all of them except my current one. The naked glass just feels too good.

If I were to use a screen protector today, I would try the GLAS.t tempered glass. It looks like they jacked up the price for the iPad to $70 (owch):

http://www.spigen.com/tablets/apple...-protector-glas-t-premium-tempered-glass.html

large freezer ziplock bag to provide temporary protection until you get whatever you will want.

Decided to go cheap and ordered a tpu case and screen protector from mono price....

I used the Speck Fit-Folio case on my iPad 2 after trying several different products (skins, sleeves, folios, etc), and it's probably my favorite case EVER. Most Folio cases are bulky, ugly and IMO doesn't really secure the iPad all that well, unless it covers most of the bezel.

I decided to buy one for my iPad3, hoping it would fit and it's like a glove.

I would HIGHLY recommend this case to any iPad2/3 owner. It's extremely thin/lightweight, it protects almost everything on the iPad (except for the ports, camera and speaker, etc). It's faux leather and hard plastic design, you can get it in several colors and the inside is a suade type of material so it's easy on the screen.

You can fold and secure the lid/cover back so it's like a normal, non-folio case. You can also use it to prop the ipad up for watching movies or typing on a USB keyboard. The best part IMO, it secures the iPad in very tightly, but only attaches around the very edge of the screen, so it doesn't cover the bezel or anything with ugly, poorly fitted leather or elastic. It's also a very minimalist/clean design (which I like... less is more)

Check it out. The only real downside is that it doesn't have smart cover magnets in it. Although, I've never really found a good reason to use one regardless.

As for screen protectors, I wouldn't bother unless kids are going to be using it or something. I haven't used one on any of my iPads and they've all held up very well. Phones are a different story, since they're usually in a pocket (with keys and change lol)

speck_0.jpg

img_2836.jpg

speck-fit-folio-ipad-2-cases-black-i.jpg

Last edited:
Back