New iPad Pro To Start At $599

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
I feel like this is Apple’s clever way of charging people an extra $100 for what is largely an iPad Air 3.

While the $599 starting price for the smaller iPad Pro is higher than any 9.7-inch iPad before it, the 32 GB of storage does help balance out the pricing as the current $499 iPad Air 2 includes 16 GB of storage. The 9.7-inch iPad Pro model will not replace the iPad Air 2 line, which will remain in Apple’s tablet portfolio for a likely $499 price, sources say. Supply of the original iPad Air is dwindling at resellers, indicating a likely discontinuation. The 12.9-inch iPad Pro and the iPad mini 4, which both launched last fall, will not be updated at this event.

I've used the iPad Pro at work. Meh. Tablets are just not for me.
I'd rather have a laptop - I could get a decent one in that price range.

It's be interesting to see how the iPad does this year after the market collapsed so significantly last year.

A proportionally smaller keyboard for a 9.7" iPad would suck. The key spacing will be non standard, making it total shit to touch type on.

I'll wait a couple of days for the real thing before condemning them on the rumor. Right now I have a hard time believing they are that dumb.

I just got a surface pro 3 on ebay with a 12" screen and 128 sshd for less than that :D

If my iPad Pro could run Xcode I'd be set, is the only app I could really use on it. Otherwise it can do just about everything else needed.

I wouldn't want it any smaller, screen is a great size and I wouldn't want the folding keyboard any smaller for extended use.

Tablet market falling... Apple raises prices. This won't end well.

The 32GB Pro should replace the 16GB Air 2 at $499. The price bar needs to move to get people more interested in tablets again.

Last edited:
I just got a surface pro 3 on ebay with a 12" screen and 128 sshd for less than that :D

Good for you, Son. But just go out an upgrade that useless tiny SSD, it will be full soon. Oh, then you would have spent more, and the point of boasting about your achievement would be lost...

Better luck next time rich boy.

Last edited:
Interesting comment coming from someone who holds so much hope and esteem for Windows tablets and 2-in-1's.

I'm not the only one though. The iPad Pro was certainly an attempt to get in on the 2 in 1 market as every market report I've seen indicates that the 2 in 1 market is growing in spite of the slide of traditional tablets. The iPad is getting squeezed on the low end my Android tablets that are now pretty good and often much cheaper and Windows 2 in 1s on the higher end because they more flexible and can truly serve as laptop replacements.

I have an iPad 2 Air and can't see any compelling reason to get a "Pro" version. This one does everything I need just fine.

On the subject of tablets, I am finding them useful. I can watch Netflix and PS Vue wherever I am relaxing in the house or read books or texts. The tablet is pretty light and is easy to hold for extended times.

Being deaf, I also use the iPad at college for real-time speech to text (to tablet). The professor or speaker wears a wireless microphone (connected by BT to tablet) - voice data sent through the network (tablet wireless connection to college network) to a company in NY which translates the speech and sends the translated text back to the tablet. I can review transcripts at any time too.

It appears that they are that dumb. It gets a little micro keyboard.

This is the kind of thing Jobs would have tried to type on, found that it sucked, and fired the guy who thought it was a good idea.

Tim Cooks Apple just lets anything go.

If the customers wanted a 9.7" keyboard... Meh...

Apple may be listening too intently to focus group feedback. General customer feedback rarely breeds innovation as people usually just vote for what they know.

This product reveal seems more a product consolidation phase. Next time Apple will need something a lot more forward thinking IMHO.

Good for you, Son. But just go out an upgrade that useless tiny SSD, it will be full soon. Oh, then you would have spent more, and the point of boasting about your achievement would be lost...

Better luck next time rich boy.

Lol! Rich? I said I paid less for a device with a bigger screen, more capacity, an i5 cpu, that runs a full OS. I’m not using my surface for a desktop replacement so for my purpose 128 gb is actually considerably more than I need. I'm not rich but I do try to make smart purchases.
$600 for what is essentially a media device with a 32 gb HD is comical... but not as comical and the Apple fan boy that runs out to buy one or trolls the forums to bash anyone points out there are much better deals out there for someone who shops specs over model numbers.

Honestly, I've been considering one for just sketching. I have a Wacom Cintiq, yeah, the super expensive one, but while it is good, it's not really portable, and it has a few flaws, one of which being the lag. There's about a half second delay between where the stylus goes and what you see. And while you do get use to it, it never really feels like drawing on paper.

Back