New iPad Is Really Hot

46 C while playing Infinity Blade 2 for 45 minutes straight doesn't really surprise or concern me.

46 C while playing Infinity Blade 2 for 45 minutes straight doesn't really surprise or concern me.

Maybe not from a technical standpoint, but for a device that is not very thick and that you have to actually HOLD... :eek:

Seems pretty damn hot to me.

paris-hilton-thats-hot.jpg

I'd be more concerned about this:
Consumer Reports said:
We also noticed that the new iPad wasn't charging while the game was running and it was plugged in. In fact, the battery continued to drain. It charged normally, however, when we weren't running a game.

what a bunch of pussies. Since when did 116F feel too hot to handle?
That's typical arizona temps.

you'd get food poisoning if you tried to cook a hotdog that low.

and 12 F higher than ipad2 is nothing intolerable.

Our tests follow numerous complaints now cropping up about how hot the new iPad can get while doing processor-intensive tasks, such as gaming or downloads.

downloads? are cpu intensive? WTF?.... I've never heard that before. consumer reports seems to be run by a bunch of noobs spreading fud

That isn't hot. Now my laptop.... that gets hot.

I did notice the iPad3 heating up a bit playing games (especially infinity blade 2), but It's hardly a cause for concern. The biggest drawback (and this goes for the iPhones as well) is making my hands clam up and causing my finger/s to want to stick to the screen. It's not exactly ideal on a touchscreen device.

I got a case for it, so hopefully that helps.

Anybody know what the enviromental specs are for the screen? A screen of that resolution and quality must not appreciate the extra heat.

I have to agree... that isn't that hot... but.......... you're holding it... it's not like a CPU that's held up by something else, you are HOLDING it.

maybe you guys should read the article before you post:

"During our tests, I held the new iPad in my hands. When it was at its hottest, it felt very warm but not especially uncomfortable if held for a brief period."

So it runs a few degrees hotter. Still doesn't have shit on my laptop or the three windows tablets, as far as heat goes, on my desk right now.

Not that surprising, it has 4x the resolution right? well that means the graphics processing unit is going to work that much harder to constantly redraw all those pixels. Did it get a cpu upgrade as well? If so more heat there too.

With only passive cooling, there's a definite wall that is very close approaching with these tablet devices unless they want to toss a fan in there.

but not especially uncomfortable if held for a brief period."
This seems to be the key though, "brief period", what's that 5 minutes? an hour? Considering this is a device which can conceivably be held for a time much longer than "brief" it is a bit of an issue IMO.

This seems to be the key though, "brief period", what's that 5 minutes? an hour? Considering this is a device which can conceivably be held for a time much longer than "brief" it is a bit of an issue IMO.

That is true but warm does not equal hot. Those are two different spectrum of temperatures. They would have been better off saying what the case temperature is of the case in your hand but of course that wouldn't draw as much attention as 116 degrees marketing for the win!

Also another side note is the unit was plugged in during the test which charging the batteries also generates heat. I cant speak for everybody but I do not game on my tablet while it is charging which again it would have been nice to know what the temp is without charging the battery.

I'd be more concerned about this:

We also noticed that the new iPad wasn't charging while the game was running and it was plugged in. In fact, the battery continued to drain. It charged normally, however, when we weren't running a game.

Apple, it just works (unless you run a game)

So it runs a few degrees hotter. Still doesn't have shit on my laptop or the three windows tablets, as far as heat goes, on my desk right now.

Based on those IR pictures it looks like more than "a few".

How hot do your Windows tablets run, exactly?

Also another side note is the unit was plugged in during the test which charging the batteries also generates heat. I cant speak for everybody but I do not game on my tablet while it is charging which again it would have been nice to know what the temp is without charging the battery.

Originally Posted by Consumer Reports

You were saying ?

Well this is one of those agony of the first adopter thing! Hopefully, it's not as bad as the media portrays otherwise iPad 3 will end up just another expensive technological renovation.

Based on those IR pictures it looks like more than "a few".

How hot do your Windows tablets run, exactly?

I have been doing a lot of test with tablets lately for a work and heat is one of our concerns. One of the windows tablets I was testing while plugged and running a game got up to 138F degrees and the test had to be aborted for fear of breaking the tablet. Game used for the test was World of Goo and got that hot in less than an hour. Not plugged in the tablet got up to 120F degrees in the same test but not charging.

And hear I thought this was going to be a thread about someone using a flamethrower on the new iPad.

Originally Posted by Consumer Reports

You were saying ?

Just because the battery was still draining doesn't mean it still wasn't charging. It could mean the charge couldn't keep up with how much the device was using from the battery.

Just because the battery was still draining doesn't mean it still wasn't charging. It could mean the charge couldn't keep up with how much the device was using from the battery.

That's just awful design by all measure - If it's plugged in, most certainly the power that comes in easily exceeds the battery's charging capability thus should always be able to charge while using at it's fullest.

Somehow, I don't think that's even possible. Unless they intentionally made the Ipad's ability to charge absolute crap.

Sides, don't ... companies usually make it so it bypasses the battery when it's plugged in nowadays?

If you were charging it from a USB port maybe, but not plugged into AC as those chargers send a full 2A to the Ipad. Although I remember a buddy of mine having to install a more powerful alternator in his car after installing a new audio system. The stock alternator could not keep up with the wattage AND charging the battery.

What I meant to imply was that Apple probably full well knew about the heat issues, and to alleviate the absolute worse condition (charging while playing), they disabled charging while the device was over a certain cpu load. (or internal temperature).

So, if the beta tester for the Win tablet poster above is real/correct, then it probably would get to around the same temps if it allowed the device to charge while also running. 115F is borderline, but 138F is def. well over "acceptable".

Why would anyone be concerned with iFanboys having infertility problems caused by their new wunderpad? Shouldn't this be looked at as a good thing for the future of the human race?

trollface.jpg

sitting in your car on a sunny day with the windows rolled up is over 116F, for your whole body.
116F in your hand is nothing.

I'm not defending apple. I only own a 6 year old ipod.

Why would anyone be concerned with iFanboys having infertility problems caused by their new wunderpad? Shouldn't this be looked at as a good thing for the future of the human race?

it's more sinister than that.
it won't cause infertility.
but warming up your balls will cause your offspring to like/go crazy about future apple products.

it's more sinister than that.
it won't cause infertility.
but warming up your balls will cause your offspring to like/go crazy about future apple products.

grow beards, wear flannel shirts and beanies during the summer?

The heat issues don't really surprise me. Stuffing a package that small with that many gadgets will make the Gods of physics very angry at you.

I think what's even more interesting is how they're (every tablet maker) going to deal with the issues. Smaller die sizes with packed transistors = lower power consumption but a metric butt-load of directional heat. I'd bet you can pick out where the SoC is just by feeling for the warmest spot, and that problem is only going to get progressively worse as we shrink down in die sizes.

Invest in insulation, imo.

What I meant to imply was that Apple probably full well knew about the heat issues, and to alleviate the absolute worse condition (charging while playing), they disabled charging while the device was over a certain cpu load. (or internal temperature).

So, if the beta tester for the Win tablet poster above is real/correct, then it probably would get to around the same temps if it allowed the device to charge while also running. 115F is borderline, but 138F is def. well over "acceptable".

It is a prototype tablet and I cant really say anything more about it because of legal issues but it did in fact get up to 138F but that could change before it goes retail. I can however say that the Acer Iconia Tab W500 got up to 124F in the same test as the prototype.

What? I have yet to use any device that couldn't charge up to capacity while in use. NDS Lite, laptop with C2D + NV Quadro playing TF2, Android playing Angry Birds and random games -- they can all charge up to 100% perfectly fine from almost 0 charge. It seems like a design flaw not to be able to do that.

Back