"New iPad" for the wife. Black or White?

Get the wife a White New iPad or Black New iPad?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cobalt2112

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey gang,

For mother's day I plan to get the Mrs. a New iPad. Question is, should I get her a white one or a black one? :confused:

I ask because I dont know about the noticealbe fingerprints smudges of white vs black. Also, I dont know if the white one will yellow over some time based on holding it or whatever.

I come from an all-Android household, so please be gentle. Trying to slowly convert, but only when Apple outs a 4G 4+ inch phone. :p

I recommend the Black only because the White is distracting to look at while using the device. However, it would be better if you knew from her... If she's a fashionista, then she would probably prefer the white over the black. If she's a "function over form" person, then she'd probably prefer the black.

Ask her. Color and fashion are waaay to important to women to allow us mere males decide for them.

My girlfriend prefers the white, it doesn't show finger 'smudges' nearly as much around the bezel and when it eventually starts getting a few marks on the front glass they are not nearly as noticeable as they are on the black.

I thought the light would be distracting but it isn't, I rather like the look of it.

Every time I see a white iPad I end up looking at the bezel first, not the screen. If you ask me, even though the white looks nice, is spoils the entire reason for owning an iPad.

Now, on the phone, it is a different matter because there is much less border with white. So, IMO, the white works better on the phone and black much better on the iPad.

I say since it is a gift, get her the black. If she were buying it herself, then she can get the white. :)

White has higher resale value, but I feel the black ones are nicer to use.

Wow... good input.. still tough. I'm either going to do an Amazon on it... go to the Apple Store.. see it, then order online from J&R .. .no Tax + Free S/H $499

But definitely please keep the comments coming in!

Pick the opposite color of what your getting... so you don't confuse them by accident (case selection could do this also). Assuming your getting the black one.

I had the black one (traded it for an Asus Transformer and after several months I'm kinda tempted to trade back) I will agree the smudges are more noticeable on a black, but if you get the official cover for it that has a microfiber underside it keeps it nice (and protects the screen shockingly well! fell off a counter at close to 4' high and while the metal got a dent it in, there was NO damage to the screen!)

Personally though, I think the black looks more sophisticated than the white, might just be me though...

I like the Black better due to the screen frame.
The white looks so tacki and the screen loosk smaller.
Also the white border make me not able to concentrate on the image.... its annoying to be the white border.

But every one on their own on this one =D

Took my mom to get hers early and she decided on the black. Said the white looked more like for teens.

I picked black, I dislike the look of the white ones. The black is a much less distracting bezel, so I don't notice it.

This is definitely a question about user preference that doesn't really have a right answer. Even if it was possible to come out with an empirical reason to have one or the other, your wife still might prefer the other color.

I chose a new black one even though you can't see the bezel in my case.
The hole for the front camera was the only way too see that it was a white iPad.

I use the Griffin Survivor case, which came with my white iPad 2.

Take her out to a special one on one mother's day lunch and then go let her pick it out with you.

I think this is a awesome idea. I had dinner planned, but not dinner and shopping. I was planning on giving it to her Sunday AM.

Take her out to a special one on one mother's day lunch and then go let her pick it out with you.

It's a Wife, law says whatever decision you make will be wrong :)

ryken's answer is best IMHO

It's a Wife, law says whatever decision you make will be wrong :)

ryken's answer is best IMHO

She will still blame him for letting her choose and not knowing her tastes :) still, I prefer black, has better bezels for gaming / movies :)

I think the black is best for watching movies, as the black bars at the top and bottom kind of blend into the device.

But I guess if you put the ipad in a flip cover, it doesnt matter what color it is... you wont even see the damn bezel.

I have the white. I like it, but it is really no different from the black as far as usage.

This sounds a little insane but Apple has a good return policy so when I got my wife one I bought both and let her choose the color she wanted. Returned the other one the following day.

I think this is a awesome idea. I had dinner planned, but not dinner and shopping. I was planning on giving it to her Sunday AM.

Make sure to get her a card and write some sappy stuff about how she's a great mother and you are so happy together. Women love cards.

As you are making her pick it out, I suggest getting a $20 itunes gift card and taping it to the back of the mother's day card. She'll be like WTFRLY? Then you can tell her what it's for and where you guys are going next.

Alright guys, so it was WHITE w/ a Zebra Pattern Smart Folio Case.

She said forego flowers and let's go to dinner (Chart House)

This thread got me thinking so I just got my wife a white one for her Birthday/Mothers day too, included the cream smart cover and a clear back shell, she loves it.

Back