New internal HD for storage only. Black or Red ?

TechLarry

RIP [H] Brother - June 1, 2022
The 1TB WD Black and the two WD 300GB Velociraptors I have in my machien used as secondary storage are getting long in the tooth, I think it's time to replace them.

I want to go with a 4TB drive. What I need to decide is do I want to put in a WD Black, or should I consider using a WD Red NAS drive for this purpose ?

I have Reds in my Network NAS, but I've never really considered using them for internal storage before.

I know the mode pages are tuned more for data integrity than performance.

I've got eight 5TB WD Blacks in my gaming rig's internal RAID 6 array. Why WD Blacks? The 5 year warranty, and the sad fact that warranties are getting worse and worse. Some major brands only offer 1 year warranties now! Seriously, why the hell would I even give them a chance if they don't back their product?

Several of my WD Blacks are quite noisy (old school!), yet they have all been solid for 6 months now.

The WD Red Pro also has a 5 year warranty, and if you upgrade your internal drives they should work just fine in any NAS you have.

I've got eight 5TB WD Blacks in my gaming rig's internal RAID 6 array. Why WD Blacks? The 5 year warranty, and the sad fact that warranties are getting worse and worse. Some major brands only offer 1 year warranties now! Seriously, why the hell would I even give them a chance if they don't back their product?

Several of my WD Blacks are quite noisy (old school!), yet they have all been solid for 6 months now.

The WD Red Pro also has a 5 year warranty, and if you upgrade your internal drives they should work just fine in any NAS you have.

I just ordered a single WD Black 4GB. I'll build up a new NAS with Reds for backup :)

I just ordered a single WD Black 4GB. I'll build up a new NAS with Reds for backup :)

wish I saw this earlier, I have a brand new sealed 4TB Black I would have traded for a new 4TB Red as I don't need a 7200rpm performance drive.

Back