New Intel Gallatin Xeon MP w/ 4MB L3 Cache owned!

LMAO. WTF is Intel thinking? That new Xeon will be atleast 3 times more expensive than the Opteron 848! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by FreiDOg
a NUMA archictecture should always beat Xeons in larger servers. (4 way / 8 way ect).

I see. Then what does Intel have to compete with 4-way and 8-way Opterons? They can't just increase the cache to compensate for the bandwidth bottleneck. And the Itanium is in a league of its own.

They Got a big fat nothing. Intell MP stuff is crap anything past 2 cpu's

Intel has market recognition and an established name with the server side. To the uninformed corporate CEO, that has more weight than some old performance numbers and they are willing to pay extra to have it.
A friend of mine is the IT Mgr at a large nationally based mortgage / insurance company. They are replacing most of their servers now with Dual Apples. That's simply because the CEO is a Apple freak. No real performance logic involved in the decision. Brand name loyalty carried more weight.

Originally posted by FreiDOg
a NUMA archictecture should always beat Xeons in larger servers. (4 way / 8 way ect).

I'd agree with that. However, I wonder how much longer it will be before AMD ammends to it's road maps and introduces a new speed stepping. Opteron 250?

Originally posted by DaveX
I see. Then what does Intel have to compete with 4-way and 8-way Opterons?

as CIWS said, they have name recognition.

Nobody is going with an Opteron solution if the people funding it don't know and trust the name.

IBM and SUN are helping by slapping their name on opteron solutions, but you don't get rid of the perception of AMD as the alternative to paying for Intel quickly.

Brand name loyalty goes a long way, but I've noticed more and more people are getting famaliar with the name AMD. The company I work for as a tech buys used computers, we spec/upgrade/downgrade/test them, then resell them. Towards the end of last year one of the salesmen came down asking if we had any Opteron servers around. He knew nothing about them, didn't know they had only been out a few months, all he knew is he was getting several phone calls a day from business and resellers wanting anything we had with 64 bit AMD processors. Slowly but surely the old "Intel knockoff" image of AMD is chipping away thanks in large part by the Opteron. Dell would be wise to sell them, most all the big boys are :)

Back