New Intel Core Processor Combines High-Performance CPU with Custom Discrete Graphics from AMD

The video was actually pretty good, imagine if they put two of these setups in one laptop, that would be sweet! MGPU!

If I told you that I have not been saving this Motley Fool URL for this day, I would be a liar, like what Motley Fool made me out to be. I am sure Timothy Green is penning a full retraction as we speak.

MotleyFool.gif

Motley fool admits they own shares in Nvidia.

ALWAYS be leery of sites that give stock advice . More often than not, their "advice" is meant to steer people in a direction that will benefit the ADVISORS' stocks, NOT the reader/listener.

Sorry, what are you talking about?

G-Sync is still superior (that's why we're getting FreeSync2), CUDA is still what you use if you want to get the most performance out of the fastest compute processors available and thus is actually taught in schools, and what open standard is AMD championing that's actually relevant to the thread?

So why is nvidia coming out with gsync hdr? Oh, that's right so it can compete with freesync 2.

As much as it pains me to give Kyle Bennett of Hard OCP credit for anything other than being the fastest driver in Texas, it turns out he may also be the fastest news reporter too.

Way back in July 2016 when Nvidia was telling the us how great their new Pascal GTX thingies were, Kyle alerted the world to the crazy idea that Intel would use AMD graphics. Kyle has said some pretty crazy things over the years, but he been right more than he’s been wrong.

https://www.jonpeddie.com/news/intel-builds-heterogeneous-chip

Guaranteed it won't touch a discrete Nvidia chip in performance, and good luck in the drivers staying current......

Intel and AMD team up: A future Core chip will have Radeon graphics inside.
https://www.pcworld.com/article/323...md-ship-a-core-chip-with-radeon-graphics.html

One interesting wrinkle: Intel will be responsible for supplying the drivers for the Radeon GPU, though company engineers won’t write the original code. An Intel representative said they’re working closely with AMD’s Radeon business to supply “day one” drivers for new games, when those drivers become available.

Just like Qualcomm writes their own drivers for Adreno which is an anagram for Radeon as it was developed by ATI, Intel will write their own drivers.

Had to give credit.

I just realized what we have here is an Intel/AMD APU.. I don't see this used with an I-7 maybe with an I-5 but I doubt it. Probably with an I-3 or Pentium...decent processor with a half rate barely better than Intel HD graphics. This really being done to avoid paying more royalties to Nvidia. Don't get your hopes up...

Well, the Fool is typically wrong on days ending in "y." So. Yeah. They're just there to pimp silly "pay us money for this 1337 investor info but only after reading five pages of content free "research.""

And props Kyle on the scoop.

Motley fool admits they own shares in Nvidia.

ALWAYS be leery of sites that give stock advice . More often than not, their "advice" is meant to steer people in a direction that will benefit the ADVISORS' stocks, NOT the reader/listener.
Hey consumer "buy this stock" ... then once prices skyrockets they sell and get out.

NO ONE is going to give away easy money tips.

how does this benefit intel?

99% of laptops sold have an intel chip, shitty gpu or not.

25-35% of laptops sold have a Nvidia GPU. (Percentages are guesses, point is Intel wants the GPU money too.)

It can prolong contracts. Im sure Apple is looking toward a in hourse ARM CPU / Custom GPU for their macbooks. The more compelling Intels product the less likely they are to pull the trigger.

Hey consumer "buy this stock" ... then once prices skyrockets they sell and get out.

NO ONE is going to give away easy money tips.

Or telling people to stay away from stocks that are the direct competitor of the stock you own

It was known that Apple was not entirely happy with Intel built-in graphics for a number of years, especially when they started pushing their "retina" marketing, so that is definitely a factor.

But congrats Kyle, on the sweet drank of vindication!!!!!!1

I've found that those stock sites are pretty much a joke. They run click bait information and that is about it. Anything to get viewers is published, right or wrong. That said, I've also realized the stock market is controlled by the top 1% and how the company is performing really means nothing. Stock market should have the slogan "Where the rich make themselves richer and fuck the little guy".

After reading my 3rd Motly Fool article, I quit because my opinon was just that - click bait. I don't even click them anymore. Not even if I wanna be amused.

This is a good thing.

I still doubt we will get a high-end laptop from this venture but something has to be done.

nVidia mobile GPU solutions for laptops are extremely pricey to manufactures and thus those costs get passed on to the consumer.

Let's hope this changes the landscape a bit.

Navi that bad?

They finally got off of the arctic islands architecture with Vega being the last.

Who is designing the new line? AMD screwed going forward with graphics?

Finally got off an rather good architecture ?
Navi that bad?

Let's set the targets AMD had to design everything upon to be able to succeed and thus Raja's limitations, it's not written anywhere but looking at finance there is no other way.

1.\ It had to use viable technology for the Future which scales and works in the entire stack : HBM2 and existing gddr5 controller for mid\low range - No new GDDR5 controller!
2.\ Hugely modular design : Ryzen, Vega. - There is no differences between them, multiply and that's it.
3.\ Development cost have to be a one time deal preferably, no playing with rops, tmu, shader ratios and memory busses and memory configurations - All for the next years.

Thus the end results are what we see, Gpu's are very very complex unlike cpu's and changing it radically is practically impossible.
Their goal is a to have one chip for Compute and making unlike Nvidia and Intel which has a chip for anything you want - That costs money..

Sorry, what are you talking about?

G-Sync is still superior (that's why we're getting FreeSync2), CUDA is still what you use if you want to get the most performance out of the fastest compute processors available and thus is actually taught in schools, and what open standard is AMD championing that's actually relevant to the thread?

25-35% of laptops sold have a Nvidia GPU. (Percentages are guesses, point is Intel wants the GPU money too.)

the way it looks is that the Open standards are starting to win out, 1/5th the price of gsync and Xbox, PS4, Laptops and desktop can use it while gsync is just some desktop computers, enthusiasts and consumers are two vastly different classes of consumers and 75% of market ain't gonna buy a 500$+ screen.

As for cuda\opencl - Performance is roughly the same and devs like opencl over cuda but Nvidia have poured tons of resources into Cuda thus Cuda got really big but Adobe is doing a switch and others are also following thus AMD\Intel seem to be winning that one but that one really remains to be seen.

I just wonder how far up the AMD/Intel chain of command Kyle had to seduce to get that info.

Right now I'm envisioning Kyle wearing his silky pirate shirt with the front open showing off his impressive chest hair while pouring Lisa Su some champagne.

I just wonder how far up the AMD/Intel chain of command Kyle had to seduce to get that info.

Right now I'm envisioning Kyle wearing his silky pirate shirt with the front open showing off his impressive chest hair while pouring Lisa Su some champagne.
That's damn funny.

So... Does this make Nvidia the underdog now? I'd love to see them whip out a low-power, high-performance, mid-cost part that mops the floor with this. :D The problem being the CPU side. They'd still need to rely on one or the other....

One interesting wrinkle: Intel will be responsible for supplying the drivers for the Radeon GPU

Interesting, and unfortunate depending on what it means. To me the big weakness of Intel graphics was/is driver support. AMD and nVidia mobile graphics can play a huge library of old Windows games, Intel chips can't.

It was known that Apple was not entirely happy with Intel built-in graphics for a number of years, especially when they started pushing their "retina" marketing, so that is definitely a factor.

But congrats Kyle, on the sweet drank of vindication!!!!!!1
Cause apple can't even put a cheap discreet GPU in their low end laptops that still cost a arm and a leg. Have too pony up over 2k to get something other then Intel integrated gpu and cheap pos AMD GPU at that.

So... Does this make Nvidia the underdog now? I'd love to see them whip out a low-power, high-performance, mid-cost part that mops the floor with this. :D The problem being the CPU side. They'd still need to rely on one or the other....
It is time for Nvidia to go hold my beer and make a CPU that crushes both AMD and Intel.

It is time for Nvidia to go hold my beer and make a CPU that crushes both AMD and Intel.

Maybe they could build a CPU that emulates X86 faster than it can run natively on Intel chips. :D All three companies make cool things IMO. However, out of the three, I'm typically most excited by NV hardware. I run Intel CPUs most of the time (not all) but as a company, I find them incredibly boring.

I actually think this mashup could be somewhat interesting, but in the current climate, so might a new gen of AMD APU. That would make more sense to me, but hey, why not. It'll be fun to see how this all pans out.

LOL, a lot of people here are enjoying a big damn slice of humble pie now. :p
I am on top of the world...
After reading the on fudz about a licensing deal rumor... looking at all the pieces Intel needed a license or a chip, and they chose to not reup with nvidia... Intel and AMD rather specifically said no licensing which led me to believe a chip deal was reached.
Press releases are typically vague or they are specifically worded to mislead... Read HardOCP's take and Kyle had come to the same conclusion. That said... I expect this to be a rather Apple specific sku...

That will never happen as Intel will never sell another license for x86 and trying to emulate it will never be good enough to compete.

That will never happen as Intel will never sell another license for x86 and trying to emulate it will never be good enough to compete.

True, and especially to Nvidia, but it's still nice to talk about it. :D

I know that it probably not possible but Nvidia and maybe Samsung are only companies that could make a competitive CPU. One can dream of 3 major players in the cpu market. Hell we have to leave x86 behind at some point. If any could give it a push out Nvidia could do it. I think at this point x86 is holding back any true performance gain.

I know that it probably not possible but Nvidia and maybe Samsung are only companies that could make a competitive CPU. One can dream of 3 major players in the cpu market. Hell we have to leave x86 behind at some point. If any could give it a push out Nvidia could do it. I think at this point x86 is holding back any true performance gain.

It would be nice to get something new. I still see a very long road though. At this point who knows what will happen. We have OSes getting more and more closed. We have all major consumer platforms running X86 (where games are concerned anyway) except Nintendo of course who actually IS using NV+ARM. :D AMD and Intel are working together, dogs and cats are living together. Mass hysteria!!! I'm not even sure what PC gaming will look like in a few years at this rate. I was kind of excited that Valve was pushing into competing against Windows as the primary gaming OS, but that kind of fizzled out, so now we just watch all of this stuff close in further and further until we're all left with one little box. Basically a console with a mouse and a keyboard. :D

Well, I hope not, but...

So why is nvidia coming out with gsync hdr? Oh, that's right so it can compete with freesync 2.

I still don't get this kind of thinking.

Look, build two rigs brand new from the ground up with the requirement to drive very good graphics from 2K + displays and you will find no cost savings from an AMD+Freesync build, in fact it will cost you more.

Now the numbers change if you are upgrading and already own some of the components of one type or the other. So realistically, everyone has their own situation to deal with. But G-Sync is a competitive technology and saying otherwise is simply not true.

And before you come back breathing fire, you might try doing exactly what I just said, go price out a killer machine that's intended to drive say, an X34 monitor at 100hz or a 4K display. No fudging with settings, we want the eye candy on for some decent main stream titles that support these resolutions. Don't forget to beef up the PSU to drive the additional AMD video card you are going to need. And also don't forget that the comp is going to run warmer and use more juice though I wouldn't ask you to do a cost analysis, just accept the difference and that it exists.

And if you are not willing to do this and want to call me wrong, then I'll do it and you can prove me wrong if you think you can.

It might not need a licensing deal per-se, since the picture shows what looks to be separate chips. So it might just be intel buying amd gpus and packaging them together.

If the gpu was part of the cpu, then I would think it would require a licensing deal for sure. And even if separate, there may in fact be some licensing deal. (Didn't read story on the other page that headlined no intel-amd licensing deal)

If they can make this, you would think another option with an nvidia gpu in the same package would be an upcoming option.

Who is handling the drivers for the video? I know it's bit me in the ass more than once trying to support laptops with amd cpu/gpu only to find that driver support is non-existent within a year of the laptops' release... Now if this goes in an Apple product, not likely to be a concern since Apple probably controls that.

Back