New Intel Core 2 Multiplier / Core i7 Turbo Testing Tool

georgexi: At 3.8 GHz, turbo throttling is not usually an issue. Most users find it's easier and requires less voltage to run the 21X multiplier compared to running a 20X multiplier. I'd go for 180 x 21. You should be able to run this number and stress all 8 threads to the max without any problems.

DragonQ: I'm interested in what i7 Turbo reports on your board when you are running a single threaded app like SuperPI mod. If you're bored can you post a screen shot of i7 Turbo when you are about half way through this benchmark?

UncleWebb & those with Gainestown setups..

Been talking with SuperMicro and there is a confirmed issue with Dual CPU's and Turbo Mode when all cores are @ 100% load.

TurboMode will work when each CPU's load is at 75% or lower but any higher will force one or both CPU's back to stock speed.

Not sure if this just affects just Xeon X series (as i have) or the E series as well

That supports what I saw in testing with UncleWebb with this tester application.

They are working with intel now on how to correct the issue.
At least they were able to confirm my finding which is a good first step ...

unclewebb said:
DragonQ: I'm interested in what i7 Turbo reports on your board when you are running a single threaded app like SuperPI mod. If you're bored can you post a screen shot of i7 Turbo when you are about half way through this benchmark?

Any particular reason why you singled me out there? :p

I'm not at home and haven't been for two weeks so I'm using my laptop. I can try this test on sunday if you want. I still can't get my 4GHz overclock stable with C-States enabled though :(. I need to try a higher vcore when I get the chance.

My Asus P6T Deluxe V2 goes up to 22x on one or two cores when only one or two cores are loaded, e.g. when playing a game that only uses one core.

I was just curious DragonQ how your motherboard supports the turbo feature and what i7 Turbo reports. So far I've only heard that the Intel X58 board can run at 22X. Most other boards when C3/C6 is enabled will rapidly cycle the core that is doing the work between 21X and 22X. i7 Turbo will show this and will report an average multiplier somewhere between those two numbers for that thread. The rest of the threads will average in the 12X to 15X range as they are spending most of their time asleep in C3/C6 at 12X and occasionally wake up and go to full speed to process some background tasks.

This mystery CPU has a maximum multiplier of 27X. You can see that the thread doing most of the work running Super PI, is trying to use its maximum 27X multiplier. When the background tasks are not too busy, it can run at the full 27X but as soon as they wake up, it drops the turbo boost back. The average multiplier for this thread during the previous 1 second sampling interval is 26.363.

turbo.png

I don't have the official specs yet but a +5 turbo boost is looking very nice. :)

EvilAlchemist: That's good news. Hopefully you sent the guys in white coats a few screen shots of the 16 thread version of this tool. ;)

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/3/3/1794507/Turbo.zip

Just a minor update to correctly support the new Core i5 and Core i7 CPUs that are hopefully coming out next week. These new 1156 CPUs have a minimum multiplier of 9.0 compared to 12.0 for the original Core i7 9xx series and 6.0 for the Core 2 series. Give this thread a bump if this tool is useful for you.

Back