new install, win installed to drive F, not C

elchorizo

Limp Gawd
Hey, I had a hard drive crash and so I purchased a new disk. I installed it and installed Windows onto it. However, strangely, once everything was installed, Windows had been installed onto drive F, and drives C and D are two old disks that were in the machine before.

Before the crash those two drives were labeled D and F, and after the install they were named C and D, and the new drive was labeled F and contains the windows install. WTF!

I tried changing the drive letters in the Computer Management but it wont let me change the drive windows is on.

Is it possible to fix this without reinstalling again? I wonder if strange things happened during the partition/format portions of the install...

should have formatted f drive after install windows to be safe.installation should have given you the ability to put windows where you wanted.peace

When installing Windows and you want the Windows drive to be labeled 'C:' you should disconnect any other hard drives present if they have been partitioned. Also remove other devices like USB storage devices during installation.

Technically, it is possible to change your Windows drive letter, but it is not recommended because of all the things that reference the Windows drive letter directly in your system that could end up breaking.

Best option is to reinstall.

alright, I was hoping I could avoid that. heh, thats what I get for not disconnecting my other disks I guess :p

Thanks guys

Back