New info on Koolances new motherboard cooler

DaCoOlNeSs

[H]ard|Gawd
this is a picture of how it mounts, took me a few emails, but Hard was down so I had nothing better to do.

mb-49-l06_p1.jpg

dumbest...thing...ever.

I hope some noob buys it, installs it, has a solder point pop the bag and nuke all their crap. oh, and they'll be paying for it...even better!

dumbest...thing...ever.

I hope some noob buys it, installs it, has a solder point pop the bag and nuke all their crap. oh, and they'll be paying for it...even better!
Minus the vindictiveness, put me down for the same line of thinking. How the hell does it actually cool anything?

I'm not really sure, but its Koolance, you never know what they are thinking sometimes.

LOL, I think this thing would make the most sense in passive cases where there is low airflow, or none at all. Those seeking complete silence, wanting to seal the case completely, I guess you could use this to partially cool some of the chips that would normally get cooled by the CPU air heatsink.

But the fragile look doesn't convince me, it seems a bit scary. It looks as if it could get ripped easily. Anyone have any experience with it?

It looks like someone turned a Colostomy Bag into a watercooling device........... :confused::eek: ... and that makes me sad :(

Well... if it's a plastic bag it'll pop like the other guy said. And if it's a metal sleeved bag, it'll short out your entire mobo.

Umm... no thanks!

I'd rather just run hose all over the outside of backplane instead.

assuming they arent complete retards and make it out of a non conductive, flexible, hard to puncture material.... some sort of plastic/metal foil combination perhaps.... though plastic isnt very conductive to heat.

how thick is this going to be? the standoffs between the backplate and the mobo are 1/8" i believe. you can get longer standoffs, but then your ports on the back wouldnt line up correctly

and if its a flexible bag, there has to be some kind of internal pressure in the loop to put pressure against the back of the motherboard for good thermal conductivity. positive pressure in the loop equals more prone to leaks.....

not to mention retention brackets on some HSFs/waterblocks being large blocks of metal, sometimes with sharp ends of threaded rods.

"i have a shitty idea!"
"and i can make it shittier!"

Jeeze people!

- No it's not flipping conductive :rolleyes: DUH!!
- It comes with protectors to put over any solder points that may protrude a bit too far out the back of the MB.
- The bag is quite thin, mesh filled, and made of some sort of extremely durable synthetic material that conducts heat well but not electrons.
- The bag is the same material used in their HDD coolers and RAM chip coolers, which have had mixed reviews from what I've found. Biggest complaint is pressure drop.., probably mostly due to the mesh innards... which in my mind is also probably prone to clogging if you dont have you cooling system set up correctly (ie aluminum and copper mixed without ground isolation, improper water treatmend causing slime development, algea if you have untreated water, minerals if you are running tap water... which is dumb by itself)
- It cannot be used with cooling blocks that have a mounting plate on the back side of the MB (which sucks since that is pretty much all of them that are worth a damn.)
- It is mainly designed to absorb heat soak in the MB from systems with very little or no air movement in the case.
- It is meant to accomodate very unique situations... I doubt they had any expectations of this selling like crazy.

I think it's a handy product if you fall into the small group that has a need for such a thing. My system will be a very low air flow box by the time I'm done, but I'd rather mount a single 80mm exhausto-fan in the top of the case instead of this thing.

Jeeze people, indeed. So apparently nobody has anything useful to say about this cooler? Just knee-jerk "this thing sucks" reactions? Except EnergyFX, who essentially stated the obvious for everyone who was too busy proclaiming the suckitude to ask or find out anything about it.

I had started a thread asking about this waterbag (can't really call it a waterblock) not long before [H] went down. Koolance cites that it's about cooling the little things around the CPU, like the voltage-regulator circuitry. I think the idea is good---cool it all at once, without having several small blocks on the top of the board cluttering things up---but does it work?

Performance-PCs claims "this product was tested in-house and works fantastically." As far as I can tell, though, there aren't any reviews of it around.

mmmm cooling the back of a motherboard :rolleyes:
and only with mobo that dont use a back mounting plate ??? are there any ???
Doesnt seem such a good idea to me !
Looks like its just some fancy new stuff from Koolance not worth the money - unless there are some real proofs to teach me different .:rolleyes:

Minus the vindictiveness, put me down for the same line of thinking. How the hell does it actually cool anything?

Koolance is the Bose of the watercooling industry. It doesn't have to be a good idea or even work, it just has to look good and sell. For your average gadget slut, this is a must have simply because no one else has one.

That said, there is some limited utility in cooling the back of your board and it is a cast iron bitch to do with air. Pretty much requires some dremel-fu and a blower.

"i have a shitty idea!"
"and i can make it shittier!"

Lewis Black. fucking awesome, unlike this POS product. And no, it's no a knee jerk reaction. It's not like we're talking about a cooler for the backside of your GPU, or RAM, or maybe even specifically the NB or SB...we're talking about an entire liquid filled beg behind your motherboard from a company that's notorious for making mediocre products. Koolance has good ideas, and poor execution, IMO (I can still give my opinion on here, right?). They're like Saturn...yeah, I'd love to have doors that were dent-proof-ish...but I'm not buying that GM POS just to get it because everything else about them screams junk.

Koolance's bag cooling stuff is actually pretty neat. It is the best technology for cooling a harddrive because it provides much better contact then any competing product, thus cooling much better.

I would not use this cooler, nor do I use their other bag coolers. I however don't immediately come out and call them crap, I know better. They are actually a pretty novel solution that works pretty well in situations just like this.

Koolance got one of their propoganda figures completely wrong though. They claim that 20% of the heat is dissipated through the air and the rest goes through the traces. That is backwards. 20% of the heat is dissipated through "secondary losses", i.e. into the motherboard traces. The rest is designed to be taken away by the air. When you think about it, that is a lot of heat since your getting 20% from the CPU, Chipset, power circuitry.

This product isn't for everyone, but it certainly is not without merit. The fact that it doesn't work with backplates is the only major flaw that I can see. Also, Koolance doesn't make poor quality products. Their quality is actually very good, even if their designs aren't always up to snuff.

i hold firm. my comment about Koolance being "mediocre" applies to design/construction/materials/and implementation. It's a broad statement covering all the bases.

After seeing that Hardware Canuks review of a Koolance block with easily photographed warpage on the face of it, I tend to opine that the quality is junk as well. Plus that radiator test really is over the top looking at the "our customers are total imbeciles that will swallow anything we feed them" factor. IMO just plain bad all around.

Something about a waterbag touching the bottom of a motherboard makes me think of a terrible leak.

Back