new IDE cables, 1 HDD found, but not recognized.

Urraca

Gawd
So yeah, I bought a new case and cables, redid all the cabling, put in my 2 WD 80gb HDD, and now only one is useable. The one drive in question isa stand-alone drive (no slave attached to it). When I redo the cables, it says windows has found new hardware and it shows the drive as "WD xxxxxxxxxx" but afterwards it has alot of '!!!!!!!!!!!" after it. Device manager says nothing is wrong, but It does not show up under my computer and i can not access it anyway.

So what could be wrong, it's a storage drive, does it matter what IDE channel is it on, I have no jumper in it, since it is a standalone drive. Do dual-device IDE cables matter, I have tried it on both device plugs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Assuming that it is all connected up correctly, and that the drive is still working.(it should be if it is seen by Windows, although I have seen Windows pick up dead drives before)

Make sure that the controller has been set up properly by Windows, drivers and what not.

See if the drive has had a signature written to it.
Right click on My Computer -> Manage. Go to -> Disk Management. Check to see of the hard drive is show. If it is then right click on it and there should be an option to write a signature, or assign it a drive letter.
It can sometimes be the case that the drive is just not given a drive letter, so accessing it through My Computer doesn't work.

Let us know if this is any help...

I tried reinitialzing the hardrive,nothign happened. The funny thing is, Disk Manager says that hardrive contains 676 GBs......hah.

Go into disk managment in admin tools and check if its in the list. Windows can recognise drives and show them working perfectly but no drive letter because of the partition. I had a power 'incident' and my my 80gig got wiped but the drive was fine. All i did was a format in windows to NTFS in disk managment and it worked fine. Thats all thats wrong by the sounds of things.

Back