New i7 930 Build, No POST, could use some opinions

EchoWars

Limp Gawd
Hi guys...I've been reading the forums here for something like 9 years, but this is only the second time I've posted. ;)

Anyway, I have a new system I've put together, since my current system is bloody ancient. The new system consists of a Asus P6X58D mobo, an Asus EAH5850 video card, 6GB of Crucial RAM, an Intel i7 930, and a Corsair CMPSU-750HX 750W power supply. I have the 8-pin connector on the end of the video card plugged into the power supply.

Bottom line is: No POST. All I get is a loud squeal from the psuedo-speaker on the video card (one of those small noisemakers like you usually see on a motherboard for POST beeps). Odd that Asus should put one on their vid card, but the P6X58D mobo does not have one. Still, there's zero information on what this little vid card noisemaker is supposed to mean...certainly there's nothing on Asus's website (which really blows, BTW).

All my other systems are so old they are all using AGP cards, so I can't swap to test. I'm thinking about going over to Microcenter and buying the cheapest PCIe vid card they have just to make sure the motherboard & processor is OK. Bummer, because they are a long damn drive from my place.

Anyone heard (pun?) about this video card 'speaker' before? Sound like a a brand-new dead video card to you?

I believe graphics cards squeal at post when they are not power plugged in. Looking at ur 5850 it seems to have 1 8 pin and 1 6pin socket, maybe try 2 6pin power cables plugged in or both the 6pin AND 8pin power cables plugged in?

Hi guys...I've been reading the forums here for something like 9 years, but this is only the second time I've posted. ;)

Anyway, I have a new system I've put together, since my current system is bloody ancient. The new system consists of a Asus P6X58D mobo, an Asus EAH5850 video card, 6GB of Crucial RAM, an Intel i7 930, and a Corsair CMPSU-750HX 750W power supply. I have the 8-pin connector on the end of the video card plugged into the power supply.

Bottom line is: No POST. All I get is a loud squeal from the psuedo-speaker on the video card (one of those small noisemakers like you usually see on a motherboard for POST beeps). Odd that Asus should put one on their vid card, but the P6X58D mobo does not have one. Still, there's zero information on what this little vid card noisemaker is supposed to mean...certainly there's nothing on Asus's website (which really blows, BTW).

All my other systems are so old they are all using AGP cards, so I can't swap to test. I'm thinking about going over to Microcenter and buying the cheapest PCIe vid card they have just to make sure the motherboard & processor is OK. Bummer, because they are a long damn drive from my place.

Anyone heard (pun?) about this video card 'speaker' before? Sound like a a brand-new dead video card to you?

You can get a free 7300gt at Frys.

(After rebate)

You can get a free 7300gt at Frys.

(After rebate)
No Fry's near here (bummer). Would be handy.
I believe graphics cards squeal at post when they are not power plugged in. Looking at ur 5850 it seems to have 1 8 pin and 1 6pin socket, maybe try 2 6pin power cables plugged in or both the 6pin AND 8pin power cables plugged in?
Looks like that is the solution...the card has both an 8-pin and a 6-pin power connector. I thought for sure that only one needed to be plugged in, but you get the 'error' (the high-pitched tone from the onboard speaker) unless both are plugged in. It really never occurred to me to try plugging in both connectors until I read your post. Thanks for the suggestion...at least I'm into the BIOS screen now. ;)

Back