New I7- 8086k CPU Anniversary Edition

We need faster single cores more than we do more cores these days as so few apps can efficiently use more cores.

can't push them much higher as the laws of physics are preventing anything higher.

We have nearly reached the limit of si.

A new compound will have to be sought out the way I understand it.

Or design a totally new instruction set and method and retire x86. Or how about writing software to use more cores and stop depending on raw frequency. There's a start.

Rather than arguing with you, sigh......

Care to explain just how in the holy hell these chips can even come close to 220watts of thermal dissipation? I really really really want to know. And you may not fully understand what TDP is but I do

As we get more and more cores and software that is built for high thread counts.... the days of overclocking are going to end as clock speed isn't going to matter as much as parallel operation.

Not saying the guy's right. But:

Note: Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 allows the processor to operate at a power level that is higher than its TDP configuration and data sheet specified power for short durations to maximize performance.

Also, the thermal solution specification is: PCG 2015D (130W)

Will it cook at 220W dissipation?

Doubt it. But, to be fair, I'd treat this as a 130W part (nominal). Simply because I'd want to shoot myself in the nuts if I burned out what's likely to be a $600+ specialty processor.

If that is the case wouldn't increasing memory speed have a profound effect on performance? Yet in practice upping memory clocks results in negligible performance gains, often in the realm of measurement errors.

Caching. While memory is slower, it often doesn't matter.
can't push them much higher as the laws of physics are preventing anything higher.

We have nearly reached the limit of si.

A new compound will have to be sought out the way I understand it.

Or design a totally new instruction set and method and retire x86. Or how about writing software to use more cores and stop depending on raw frequency. There's a start.

1) The x86/x64 ISA is not the bottleneck people think it is, and hasn't been for a long time. It costs space / power, but does not have a significant impact on throughput.
2) Overwhelmingly, software does use many threads, when the problem domain allows it. We can't magically remove critical paths and data dependencies though. Not every task is N-way pararellizable.
3) (To other comments in this thread) Why are people thinking we need bigger word sizes than 64-bits? What exactly do you think that gets you? It gets you bigger programs and lower cache hit rates, but I am not sure what the perceived upside is.

Call me crazy, but I'm more excited about this than the 32-core ThreadRipper or the 28-core Intel prototype. The Intel prototype needed to run on chilled water to get to 5 GHz. The TR demonstration used air cooling, but those parts only come in at 3 GHz stock, and likely won't overclock much beyond 4 GHz even assuming you have a beefy water setup that could handle that much heat. More cores, more heat, lower clocks, more problems.

If you do 4k video editing or host a dozen VMs or some other core-hungry task, then this is probably an exciting time for you. But I think this is where I get off the HEDT/HCC ride.

Yawn. I am guessing since is so highly binned, I wouldn't expect to get much higher than 5 Ghz with overclocking. The difference between that and what is currently available probably won't make this worth buying.

That said, if you get one in the giveaway or there is anything left after Ebay gets a hold of them, then it might make a nice CPU if you are upgrading from anything older than 7th Gen Intel.

Otherwise, save your money for more cores at 4.6-4.8 Ghz.

Why Intel refuses to solder the IHS on high end chips I will never understand.

The lack of solder seems like a cash grab. They felt it was good enough and it would save them a few bucks. I don't think they expected major competition from AMD when that decision was made.

The lack of solder seems like a cash grab. They felt it was good enough and it would save them a few bucks. I don't think they expected major competition from AMD when that decision was made.
Sure, it's a cash grab - just like any higher binned chip. That's all this is - higher binned speed, limited production run, cool 40th anniversary sticker.

If the price really is $425, I'd agree it's not really worth it over a $300 8700k you can pick up at MicroCenter - but that MicroCenter page shows the MSRP as $500, so we'll see on Friday what the real price is.

Anyone else buy one? Grabbed one an hour ago.

Local Microcenter had 40 of them. 39 now. $430 each.

Initial overclock so far without issue is 5.1ghz

And yes, all cores run at 5ghz on turbo mode.

This is def a binned chip.

If you think about it, this has the same performance gain and any new chip so very much worth the money. 6 cores at 5Ghz is absolutely insane factory.

Lot of headroom.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20180608_105216.jpg
    MVIMG_20180608_105216.jpg
    564.8 KB · Views: 0

If you think about it, this has the same performance gain and any new chip so very much worth the money. 6 cores at 5Ghz is absolutely insane factory.

Lot of headroom.

Just wondering what kind of cooler you got it on?

Lot of headroom.

Got 2 - accidentally released pre-order after already had 1 of them... now to decide if to keep the extra one, or return it, or sell it...

Running it on Asus Apex with EK Phoenix AIO (having same results on clocks as well).

Got 2 - accidentally released pre-order after already had 1 of them... now to decide if to keep the extra one, or return it, or sell it...

Running it on Asus Apex with EK Phoenix AIO (having same results on clocks as well).
If it was free, just keep it boxed up and sell it in 40 years.

What a lot of you guys might want to consider is if you have a under-performing in the OC dept, a 8700K or an older 7700K ... consider flipping it ASAP. Get $250 - $299 for either or of those 2 cpu's. Throw on the difference and have the 5Ghz you always wanted.

I personally don't find a random $200 dollars thrown at my PC once or twice a month that big of a deal but I know many of you can't afford that random expense. Or, perhaps can't be bothered with pull your cooler off and taking the CPU out.

I've got a 8700K that does 4.9Ghz that I would let go for $299 shipped. I take paypal. Hollar!

Lot of headroom.

Is that with multicore enhancement on? Or are you saying that the stock all-core turbo is 5GHz?

Because that would be something!

Is that with multicore enhancement on? Or are you saying that the stock all-core turbo is 5GHz?

Because that would be something!

Multicore Enhancement On (running Asus Apex with EK Phoenix 360 AIO) it runs successful all cores at Turbo Clock Speed. I had to change from Auto to ON in order to be stable and bump clocks up for whatever reasons...

Decided to get one. My nostalgia got the better of my logic and common sense.Intel’s marketing team knows what their doing...

Lot of headroom.
Are you under water? I'm new to Z370, is it necessary to put the VRM under water too? I'm hoping not since the power requirements are not quite so steep as X99/X299 CPUs.

What voltage?

Call me crazy, but I'm more excited about this than the 32-core ThreadRipper or the 28-core Intel prototype. The Intel prototype needed to run on chilled water to get to 5 GHz. The TR demonstration used air cooling, but those parts only come in at 3 GHz stock, and likely won't overclock much beyond 4 GHz even assuming you have a beefy water setup that could handle that much heat. More cores, more heat, lower clocks, more problems.

The chip used during Intel demo was a Skylake Xeon with modified microcode, not the real HEDT chip that will be launched. The Xeon is 14nm+ with ordinary TIM. The HEDT chip (Cascade-Lake) is 14nm++ with STIM (Solder TIM).

Intel pushed up that Skylake Xeon to 5GHz with exotic cooling, only to demonstrate performance of 28C @ 5GHz, not because you need that setup for the new Cascade-Lake chip. There are rumors that stock turbo will be 5GHz, as in current 8086k

Lot of headroom.

86% of 8700Ks will do 5ghz and Der8auer tested this thing and said it wasn't any different than a good 8700K sample. Now we don't know if there are some golden samples yet, perhaps Silicon Lottery will find a few that will do better than the best 8700Ks they've found, purely due to Intel having binned these from a larger quantity to start with. And I'm sure they'll change a pretty penny for those few, lol. But in general the 8086K is not much different from buying a binned 8700K from SL...except that you still need to delid it.

not because you need that setup for the new Cascade-Lake chip. There are rumors that stock turbo will be 5GHz, as in current 8086k

Yeah OK I'll believe that when I see it.. lol. Solder doesn't magically make 14nm able to do 5ghz without high voltage and 1000+ watts of heat output at that number of cores.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
Their overclocking results are pretty good though. Their 8086K is comparable to a 5.1ghz or maybe 5.2ghz 8700K from SL(I'm not clear on why they had so much voltage droop at 5.2ghz, but 1.364V under load is going to cause problems at 5.2ghz), which would make it pretty similar in price to buying one from SL if not slightly cheaper. Except that you still need to delid it.

Tempting, but doubt I will get enough of a bump in my day to day use to make it worth the upgrade. Hopefully the 9th gen i7 will be 8c 16t and 5ghz, and it better be a lot better than the 2700. Otherwise I will likely switch teams at my next refresh.

The AnandTech review is out. Their conclusion (literally), "Save Your Money".

just about everyone said the same thing, unless you are sentimental.

They were very boring, outside of the "you know we conveniently "forgot" to mention we have a refrigerator attached to it and we are using a 28 phase board, but no big deal right" that was golden

For the money you can buy an 8700k, a delid kit, replacement copper top from rockit, liquid metal etc and still have change left over. $299 @ MC with 30 mobo discount cherry on top.

If they actually wanted to do something noteworthy, an early release of a desktop 8 core with the shitty igpu disabled (or better yet left in the sandtrap where it belongs for actual "overclocker" chips) would have been a shoe-in.

For the money you can buy an 8700k, a delid kit, replacement copper top from rockit, liquid metal etc and still have change left over. $299 @ MC with 30 mobo discount cherry on top.

If they actually wanted to do something noteworthy, an early release of a desktop 8 core with the shitty igpu disabled (or better yet left in the sandtrap where it belongs for actual "overclocker" chips) would have been a shoe-in.

But, but, but...its a limited edition CPU with only 50k being produced. These things will be worth something someday...

/s

8086K... wait a minute.... just one more second..... oh.... here it comes..... YAWN

Sign me up for a big bucket of don't give a shit, given that you could get the same pre-binned deal from SL already. Yawn. Now, CFL-S 8 core... that will be interesting. I wonder what the clocks will be for that?

I was kinda hoping they'd release z390 mobos early with this chip at Computex, but I guess not.

This chip on it's own, with no Devil's Canyon level attention, no thanks. [H]ard Fail. :stop:

Lot of headroom.
Grabbed 2. 1 came tonight from Amazon, other gets here tmrw.
Definitely more headroom. I had to run a -2 AVX offset @ 5.0 without getting crazy on voltage. Now I don’t have to. To me, that was worth it. Tmrw I’ll try upping the OC.
All I wanted out of these was 5.0/5.0 with moderate volts and no delid- so far the first one passed with flying colors.
Rarely do I make purchase decisions around other people telling me something is “worth it”. My 3 900p’s are apparently not worth it either. Nor is a lot of other stuff.

That table is lacking the base clock which has increased from 3.7GHz to 4GHz

because bumping base and 1c turbo is a selling point, it is branding a existing chip something else to make it look like a product to sell for more money, like the skylake x with phase changer on a specially built server board being branded a HEDT part now

Grabbed 2. 1 came tonight from Amazon, other gets here tmrw.
Definitely more headroom. I had to run a -2 AVX offset @ 5.0 without getting crazy on voltage. Now I don’t have to. To me, that was worth it. Tmrw I’ll try upping the OC.
All I wanted out of these was 5.0/5.0 with moderate volts and no delid- so far the first one passed with flying colors.
Rarely do I make purchase decisions around other people telling me something is “worth it”. My 3 900p’s are apparently not worth it either. Nor is a lot of other stuff.

Yeah, that's always how it is. "Worth it" is really a question of personal finances and perf/$ valuation. It is interesting how people tend to want to imply it is an absolute scale though.

My house is probably not "worth it". Nor is my choice of car, sunglasses, musical instruments, artwork, wine, etc. But I can afford these things, and they are improving my life in tangible ways, so F it. I don't spend a lot on shoes or handbags.

Heh Intel found a way to get more money for their 8700K. I guess if your not into overclocking at all it might make some sense but past that really a big waste.

Back