New htpc hogging all the bandwidth

Mccaula718

Gawd
I just upgraded my htpc. Now when I am downloading torrents on it, it takes all the available bandwidth. I cannot connect to any internet sites on the htpc or other computers. With my old Htpc, the download speed would drop to compensate for another program or computer accessing the Internet.

Do you guys think it's a problem with settings in torrent or something with nic? I'm betting on torrent but I can't find anything

Easiest is to limit in utorrent assuming that's what you're using. Otherwise if your app has no such option you could try pfsense or other linux based firewall and qos based on traffic.

I have a vm on my main server that is dedicated for p2p and I have utorrent set on a schedule where it goes full speed when I'm not home and then reduced speed when I'm home.

If i went the QoS way, how much bandwidth do you think i need for browsing? My dl rate is 1.4 MBps so i was thinking set it at 1.2MBps so i have 200kbps for browsing. Any Opinions?

you need to limit your upload speed. Most people dont realize that when your upload is saturated it is really hard to surf the internet because your computer has to send data to the server before it recieves information.

Whatever bandwidth you have, multipuly it by 80% and set them as your caps under a "bandwidth" setting, e.g., 12/1mbit line should be set to 1,200kb down, 100kb up . Some programs have a setting where when you are not downloading, it sets your uploading rate to uncapped so make sure to fix that too.

Torrenting all those linux distros kills your connection because of the amount of connections it can require. Setting the speed down might help a bit, but you have to limit the amount of connections globally and per torrent. You could set your download/upload cap at 100KBps and you'd still get the same issue on torrents with alot of seeds. You can do this in utorrent. Home grade routers are easily overwhelmed by torrents. As suggested if you have an old pc laying around throw another NIC in it and load pfsense on it. My pfsense has a state table size of 1000000 (thats million). It never gets bogged down by the linux distros I download.

If you have steam, open up the server browser once and see what happens to your connection. torrenting is the same thing. While it doesnt take much bandwidth to query those 1000's of source servers out there it sure fills up your state table almost instantly thus killing your connection.

Back