New HTPC for bedroom

JamesfromDFW

Weaksauce
I just picked up a Core2Duo with 4gb of DDR3 (single stick option of 4 more), A 1 TB seagate drive and a light scribe DVD burner. I was thinking of going the Mint/Kodi route but wanted to get the forum's opinion on it. I would like to add a 4k blu ray and maybe an SSD (60-120gb) later on. Thanks in advance of all the ideas!! -James

Depending on your setup (mainly your network), you might be better off with a Roku and using plex on your main computer...the roku can be had for around 75 (get the higher end models as they are much more responsive).

So update to the project, I learned how to get windows for free (legally from MS) and i am able to play 1080p with no problems, however 4k video are still choppy as hell. Everything else runs smoothly, thank you again for all your help. Not a bad little system for $55. ($25 for the 4000 pro and 30 for the seagate 1TB sata drive). Saving up for a GT1030 or GT1050 Low Profile, unless y'all think of a cheaper card that does 4K output. (i need to scroll back up to look at previous posts)

1030 will output 4k, but uhd blu-rays won't play. You'd need a whole new system.

I guess 4k YouTube? Not really sure what you'd play.

1030 will output 4k, but uhd blu-rays won't play. You'd need a whole new system.

I guess 4k YouTube? Not really sure what you'd play.

4k rips, yeah i realize now the $675 system i'd have to build to get 4k BDs to work.

4k rips, yeah i realize now the $675 system i'd have to build to get 4k BDs to work.

I believe Gemini lake will have low power/sgx/hdr output so in theory it will play UHD Blu-rays and will be very cheap. I would wait for them before really worrying too much about it.

1080p is fine. I sold the only UHD discs i owned because the difference is very hard to spot and i don't particularly like most of the current HDR.

Back