New HP Z24i IPS Gen 2

Same panel on this one (which is in the box as we speak ready to go out). What was the uncalibrated maximum luminance? I was able to get at most 256 cd/m^2 which is well below the advertised specification of 300. I looked at the Overclockers.ru review again. They mentioned an LG panel and 323 cd/m^2 maximum brightness.

I just tried it and got the following for Brightness/Contrast pairs:

Code:
100/070	264
100/080	332
100/090	356
100/100	360

Thanks! I just checked my box and it says D7P53A4, HSTND-3771-Q and has the Samsung panel. The monitor itself says D7P53AT. I wonder how one obtains a unit with the LG panel.

Last edited:
I can't find any Z24i anywhere (in Mexico) even when the HP website says they sell them in my country, all I could find is a Z23i, do they use the same panel (a bit smaller and 16:9 aspect ratio of course) or there's a notable difference with the 24'' model?

Thanks! I just checked my box and it says D7P53A4, HSTND-3771-Q. So the -Q must mean Samsung. The LG looks like solid. I wonder how one obtains one.
It is not necessary true, that you have Samsung panel. With Q can be both LG or Samsung.
http://h20195.www2.hp.com/V2/GetPDF.aspx/c03923194.pdf
- LM240WU8-SLD2 http://www.svethardware.cz/sh/media.nsf/w/DA1282570C2C898CC1257BB7003C1677/$file/LM240WU8-SLD2_NEC%20%20DS_CAS%20_ver%201.0_20121029.pdf
- LTM240CL01 http://www.datadisplay-group.com/fileadmin/pdf/produkte/Displays/Samsung/LTM240CL01_Datasheet.pdf

Last edited:

Actually, I removed the bezel and read the Samsung part number off the panel itself! It was definitely Samsung.

Thank you for the clarification though. So the -Q probably means Qisda was the sub-vendor and has nothing to do with the panel.

Last edited:
So, there's any significant difference between the Z23i and the Z24i?

You'd have to find someone on here who has had both, which is pretty unlikely right now because they are new products. And if you call HP, they will say something vacuous like "they are built to similar specifications."

Supposedly they are all DC backlight and IPS, so they should be at least comparable quality.

Personally, after having two Z24I's and sending them both back due to backlighting problems, I think they are overpriced when they are over $300. The 1920x1200 resolution is solid, but it's a 6-bit panel. A decent 6-bit panel, but still a 6-bit panel. The 27" 2560x1440 monitors with 8-bit panels are under $600 now. The Z23i's are priced more reasonably for what you get.

I am not advanced user, dont throw tech facts on me, just conclusions.
I'd like good quality IPS 1920x1200 display , this display is one of few that is flicker free.
Is it waste of money, should I wait for something better, maybe next revision...???

I'd like good quality IPS 1920x1200 display , this display is one of few that is flicker free.
Is it waste of money, should I wait for something better, maybe next revision...???

It depends on the purpose - graphics, office work, gamming, films ...
There exists no ideal monitor(24" 1920x1200) for all activity which is around 300$.

But HP Z24i is only one, which has smooth AG coating, no PWM (flicker free) and pretty nice minimal low brightness 59cd/m2. Not all monitors has so big backlight problems, it maybe depends on the panel, which is used (see above).

I think it would be a great deal if it were priced similarly to the Dell U2412M around $280. Right now most vendors are asking at least $50 more. The two I tried were on sale and both had Samsung panels with dark lower conners. The current generation U2412M's are decent but have really obnoxious PWM that produces artifacts in my peripheral vision as I read. (I have a pair of those at the office.)

I'm going to wait a little while to see if HP releases a new revision z24i or try them again if I can find a sale and feel like entering the panel lottery again.

Last edited:
I have bad experience after two weeks of usage Z24i. I have problems with eye strain(burning). I do not know exactly the cause, but I have not such problems before . I have laptop with LED backlight and with PWM 200Hz and higher lower brightness, which makes no problem to my eyes.

I try to lower brightness to 15%, contrast to 30% and make warmer colors, but problem is still here. I feel that is difficult to concentrate to the text, because very sharp surroundings disturb my eyes.
I am thinking about returning this monitor.

I don't know what you mean by "difficulty concentrating due to very sharp surroundings", but no problems with eyestrain here, and I'm coming from an NEC 20WMGX2, which has essentially a perfectly clear coating. The Z24i has some very minor graininess, but it is not objectionable, certainly far superior to the monitors I evaluated alongside the NEC back in 2006-2007 like the Dell 2007WFP, which was unusable due to graininess and distorted text. Your settings may be a little out of whack. Calibrating with Calman Enthusiast and an i1D3 profiled to a ColorMunki Photo, I ended up with 25% Brightness and 70% Contrast to give me 30 fL on a white pattern. The 70% Contrast was the level that eliminated color clipping in that step of the Calman workflow. While calibration does improve things, there was not a lot of difference between the calibrated and uncalibrated states at these Brightness/Contrast levels; my Z24i was quite good OOTB, much better than my NEC was, and the NEC is a good monitor to this day. I've come to like the Z24i quite a bit in the six weeks or so I've had it.

I do not know what exactly can cause my problems. I did not met with it before. Image quality is superb.
I worked long time on 15" laptop monitor, maybe 24" big screen which is more shinning is the problem.

I do not know what exactly can cause my problems. I did not met with it before. Image quality is superb.
I worked long time on 15" laptop monitor, maybe 24" big screen which is more shinning is the problem.

Have you considered setting the white point to a lower color temperature? I don't mean fiddling with the RGB on the monitor necessarily, but actually setting the white point to a lower value. On the Mac there is a utility called F.lux which adjusts the color temperature based on the time of day. The idea is to reduce blue light when the sun is down. I find it soothing not to be staring at a large bluish-white rectangle after midnight. Helps with eyestrain too.

There is only Warm 5000K, Standard 6500K, Cool 9300K. Warm and Cool are extremes (not usable).
I lowered Blue to 240 and green to 250 to have warmer colors (brightness 0, contrast 50). I would like to know, what causes the problem. It's a shame, because otherwise it is a good monitor(except backlight).
I want return it after weekend. Everytime I am using it, I feel that my eyes are in discomfort.
Though the anti glare coating is very fine, maybe it can cause my problem. I see something like clouds in peripheral vision on white background, but not fix as know "clouding" problem.
And I found another interesting thing - spectrum of the backlight can have stronger blue component.
http://www.eizo.com/global/library/basics/eyestrain/#tab03

Last edited:
I haven't seen a review for any LED monitor that has good uniformity except for the expensive NEC monitors like the P242W that have a special compensation feature, but all the reviews noted a high pitched "whistling" noise for that NEC, which is a dealbreaker. This is what I measured for the light output on a full white field for my Z24i at the Brightness/Contrast level I use, 25/70 (and further auto-calibrated with Calman Enthusiast and profiled i1D3), which gives me 30 fL; values are relative to the center of the display:

Code:
+03%  +00%  -00%  +01%  +02%  -03%  -02%  -04%  -01%
-00%  -04%  -03%  -01%  +00%  -02%  -03%  -05%  -03%
-07%  -08%  -05%  -01%  +00%  -04%  -07%  -11%  -10%
-06%  -08%  -05%  -01%  +00%  -04%  -08%  -14%  -15%
-09%  -04%  -02%  -00%  -02%  -00%  -01%  -09%  -13%

Going by reviews, this seems pretty typical for this class of monitor. There are times when I notice a brightness shift, particularly in web forums that use light colors for shading rows in message lists. Then again, if I manage to stop looking for it, it normally doesn't bother me. I did order a second Z24i, and it measured about the same.

I have been following this thread closely as I'm considering the Z24i. Since both you and etooey have versions with the Samsung panel I was wondering if you could clarify a few things for me. I noticed that etooey had severe darkening in the corners on his panel (32% difference from center). I was wondering if you noticed a similar drop-off at higher brightness settings? Do the corners appear dark to the naked eye on your panel? It was clearly visible in etooey's photos, but your measurements show only 13-15% in the corners, which seems much more normal. I was wondering how much that difference was at higher brightnesses on your panel.

I've been looking for a while, and the Z24i seems like a good monitor except for this possible uniformity issue with the Samsung panels.

Thanks!

I just measured the following at 80 Brightness, 70 Contrast, which gave me 64 fL at the center:

Code:
+02%	+01%	-00%
-09%	+00%	-11%
-09%	-02%	-18%

So it's about the same, a little worse in the bottom right.

I just measured the following at 80 Brightness, 70 Contrast, which gave me 64 fL at the center:

Code:
+02%	+01%	-00%
-09%	+00%	-11%
-09%	-02%	-18%

So it's about the same, a little worse in the bottom right.

Thanks a lot, that isn't too bad. I really appreciate you checking that for me. I feel like that is fairly in line with many entry workstation IPS panels (unless I'm mistaken). And you confirmed you are also using a Samsung panel?

In general, when you have the brightness up and a white screen, do you notice darkening in the right corner with the naked eye? Since I don't have any local shops that carry the screen, I'm trying to tell if it would be noticeable in day-to-day usage. The picture etooey took was noticeable, so I'm hoping it doesn't look that dark.

I found settings "Sharpness" in Image control menu. I lowered it to 3 and it is better to my eyes, but eyestrain is still noticeable. The main problem was in text reading. It is difficult to focus longer time to one text area because of too sharp edges. When I am fast reading the text or quickly switching the view, it is better.
I read some stuff about eyestrain and there are lot of people who have the same or even worse problems with IPS panels. I found only one solution .... use old TN monitors :(

Thanks a lot, that isn't too bad. I really appreciate you checking that for me. I feel like that is fairly in line with many entry workstation IPS panels (unless I'm mistaken). And you confirmed you are also using a Samsung panel?

In general, when you have the brightness up and a white screen, do you notice darkening in the right corner with the naked eye? Since I don't have any local shops that carry the screen, I'm trying to tell if it would be noticeable in day-to-day usage. The picture etooey took was noticeable, so I'm hoping it doesn't look that dark.

Yeah, mine were both excessive. I'm not a graphics professional and I found it distracting. I could see dark blotches in my peripheral vision and from any angle, at any distance. The 32% darker was at any brightness setting. The first guy from HP even agreed with me, so he escalated the case. The folks above him bounced the case back and said "normal," at which point I decided I have better things to do with my life than play that game. The Dell U2412M's on my desk from 2011 have much better uniformity (but horrid PWM and anti-glare film) and you can get those for $150 on the used market.

I'd pick up a pair of Z24i's if they were $240 or less and I could get LG panels. For now I'm using a cheap borrowed 1080p TN monitor from 2010 with zero dead pixels and better uniformity... and that's saying something.

I'm going to sit for a little while with this setup until some new offerings come to market. Then I will consider the following: 1) then new Thunderbolt display, if there is one that will work with my 2012 rMBP, 2) the BL2710TP, or 3) the new 34" LG ultra wide.

Yeah, mine were both excessive. I'm not a graphics professional and I found it distracting. I could see dark blotches in my peripheral vision and from any angle, at any distance. The 32% darker was at any brightness setting. The first guy from HP even agreed with me, so he escalated the case. The folks above him bounced the case back and said "normal," at which point I decided I have better things to do with my life than play that game. The Dell U2412M's on my desk from 2011 have much better uniformity (but horrid PWM and anti-glare film) and you can get those for $150 on the used market.

I'd pick up a pair of Z24i's if they were $240 or less and I could get LG panels. For now I'm using a cheap borrowed 1080p TN monitor from 2010 with zero dead pixels and better uniformity... and that's saying something.

I'm going to sit for a little while with this setup until some new offerings come to market. Then I will consider the following: 1) then new Thunderbolt display, if there is one that will work with my 2012 rMBP, 2) the BL2710TP, or 3) the new 34" LG ultra wide.

Yeah, in your pictures it was definitely noticeable. However it sounds like crawfish had the same panel with a much better lower corner (13%-18% is more in line with what I see on other panels). I wish there were more people with the Samsung panel to verify that you can get decent versions of it.

I'm also consider the Eizo 2436WFS as an alternative. I don't mind matte screens, but the price is on the high-side for a 24-inch at $460 (although you do get a longer warranty). I'm also considering the BenQ BL2710PT, but that is $600 and I was trying to keep it below $500.

I guess I just have to make a decision.

Yes to both.

It looks quite uniform at both high and low brightness. However, I've posted before I sometimes notice the non-uniformity on web forums that use shading for rows in message lists, such that the color seems to be slightly different between the center of the screen and the edge. In one of my earlier posts, I even linked to such a web page. But I think this is going to be true unless you luck out and get a 99th percentile sample or spring for one of the super-expensive NECs or Eizos that have a uniformity compensation feature. The good news is, I'm able to forget about it and not notice it at all for long periods of time. Now and then I'll notice it, gnash my teeth over it for a little while, and forget about it again.

I found settings "Sharpness" in Image control menu. I lowered it to 3 and it is better to my eyes, but eyestrain is still noticeable. The main problem was in text reading. It is difficult to focus longer time to one text area because of too sharp edges. When I am fast reading the text or quickly switching the view, it is better.
I read some stuff about eyestrain and there are lot of people who have the same or even worse problems with IPS panels. I found only one solution .... use old TN monitors :(

Just curious, but are you using ClearType or traditional anti-aliasing? I use ClearType, and I think it works very well on the Z24i, with fewer artifacts than I observed with my 20WMGX2, both optimized with the ClearType Tuner. The only text that hurts my eyes is text that uses neither, which I rarely see in dialog boxes in old programs that use bitmap fonts, e.g. ones that use "MS Sans Serif".

After spending too much time reading monitor reviews over the past several weeks, I finally made a decision, ordered and just received a new HP Z24i:

Date of manufacture: January, 2014
Product number: D7P53A8
RMN (Regulatory Model Number): HSTND-3771-Q
Brightness/contrast settings: 30/70 (my settings)
Input connection: DVI
The lcd panel number/manufacturer: (see below)

The quality of the build appears and feels to be very high. The OSD is easy to use. The stand operates very smoothly for all possible adjustments. The monitor is lighter in weight than I expected. Text appears to be sharp and is easy to read.

For the last several years I've used a Dell 2009WA IPS 22" monitor with which I have been mostly satisfied. This new HP has a very similar AG screen; it is matte and is very nice. The cable management functions well.

There are no dead pixels and no backlight bleeding. IPS glow is there to a degree but it is not distracting or even noticeable to me.

After reading a few negative comments I was most concerned about receiving a monitor with uneven distribution of the LED backlight. While no IPS monitor is absolutely perfect when it come to this characteristic, the backlight on this monitor appears to be even, with no pronounced dark or "dirty" areas or shadows in the corners.

Last edited:
After spending too much time reading monitor reviews over the past several weeks, I finally made a decision, ordered and just received a new HP Z24i:

After reading a few negative comments I was most concerned about receiving a monitor with uneven distribution of the LED backlight. While no IPS monitor is absolutely perfect when it come to this characteristic, the backlight on this monitor appears to be even, with no pronounced dark or "dirty" areas or shadows in the corners.

The two I had (with Samsung panels) were generally even except for severely dark corners. The panel ID is stamped into the panel itself just behind the bezel, which is easy to pop off. Where did you buy yours? I'm still torn between a single 27" or a pair of 24" monitors. The quality of the WQHD monitors seems to be very spotty and I can pick up a pair of Z24i's for the same price. I would gladly try them again if I had a shot at a more even panel.

Gently popped the front bezel off and found a part number on lower right area of the frame: LTM240CL03. This a Samsung panel but with a slightly different part number than the one mentioned earlier. It may be an improved version of the LTM240CL01.

I'm pleased with this one and ordered another from ProVantage.com. I've used a 2 and 3 monitor configuration in the past mainly for programming. Two 24" monitors will fit my needs nicely. When I receive the 2nd monitor I'll report back here.

panel_info_cropped.jpg

Last edited:
Received my second HP Z24i today:

Date of manufacture: March, 2014
Panel: Samsung LTM240CL03

No dead pixels, no backlight bleeding, no shadows or dark/dirty areas. I'm very pleased with these monitors.

I have not been able to find any information on the Samsung LTM240CL03 lcd panel found in both of the monitors.

Last edited:
Received my second HP Z24i today:

Date of manufacture: March, 2014
Panel: Samsung LTM240CL03

No dead pixels, no backlight bleeding, no shadows or dark/dirty areas. I'm very pleased with these monitors.

I have not been able to find any information on the Samsung LTM240CL03 lcd panel found in both of the monitors.

I have heard no mention of this panel before. Very interesting. If that is really replacing the previous PLS panel in the Z24i, it may again be an excellent choice.

Cool! Are you running them in a dual configuration? I'm still debating whether to go for the BL2710PT or a dual 24" setup, and now the BL3200PT is in the mix!

Cool! Are you running them in a dual configuration? I'm still debating whether to go for the BL2710PT or a dual 24" setup, and now the BL3200PT is in the mix!

As someone who was previously posting in this thread and considering the Z24i, I'm really glad to see that they are using a new PLS panel that, for at least one person, seems to improve the image quality. I ended up going with a VP2770, which was a good choice for me because I love having the extra pixels and my desk setup won't fit dual monitors next to each-other. Two Z24i monitors would be a nice setup though!

Gently popped the front bezel off and found a part number on lower right area of the frame: LTM240CL03. This a Samsung panel but with a slightly different part number than the one mentioned earlier. It may be an improved version of the LTM240CL01.

I'm pleased with this one and ordered another from ProVantage.com. I've used a 2 and 3 monitor configuration in the past mainly for programming. Two 24" monitors will fit my needs nicely. When I receive the 2nd monitor I'll report back here.

panel_info_cropped.jpg

Please post a picture once you have both Z24i screens setup. As I mentioned before, the Z24i was one of my top choices.

The second one is set-up and yes, I'm running them in a dual monitor configuration. One is straight ahead, the second one is to it's side and angled so that I am looking straight at it when I turn my head to the right about 45 degrees from the first one.

I'll take a photo in a couple of days when I can get through the project I'm currently working on. Desk is very messy at the moment.

Hello to everyone. I'm proud owner of Z24i, but ...

Is anyone noticed faint diagonal lines from right to left when viewed from some angle?
It is noticable on white background, and seems to me as a problem of panel coating.

Hello to everyone. I'm proud owner of Z24i, but ...

Is anyone noticed faint diagonal lines from right to left when viewed from some angle?
It is noticable on white background, and seems to me as a problem of panel coating.

Some LG IPS panels have been known to show cross hatching on the panel surface. It has been a while but I vaguely remember one formal review seeing slight cross hatching on the Z24i, but I think it wasn't very visible, I could be wrong. I don't own a newer LG based display, so I have never seen it myself. I know it was a big issue on the Dell U2713HM, but I haven't heard many complaints from Z24i owners. The Z24i is also known to use panels from both LG and Samsung.

Hi !

I will wish to buy a monitor to connect to my laptop (Lenovo T420) on windows 8.1 pro 64 bits.
24" like good size.

So, this monitor have a software to manage the screen and a function : split and rezise windows.

Have you already tested this function ?
that's works on displayport ? The size and position of window is saved ?
that's works with all programmes ? (Word, PDF etc.)
That's works with multi desktop function ?

Thanks
see you

Just picked up a Z24i from Provantage in hopes I'd get the same panel Notnac did in two monitors.

Unfortunately I got the Samsung LTM240CL01 Panel, versus the newer CL03 one Notnac was reporting he had even though my monitor was manufactured at a later date.

I've got some corner brightness in the lower left and right hand corners and some very light corner glow in the top left and right. In dark scenes in games, this can disturb/wash out some detail, but only in the lower corners.

I noticed if I twist the monitor very slightly / flex the corners the brightness will change.

I'd really like to see Notnac take some pictures.

(By the way, you don't have to pop the bezel to get the panel model, just turn off the monitor, hold down the menu button and power on then release power. The text of the menu will be a different color when highlighting things (green on mine). There will then be a service menu where you can see the Panel listed)
Date of Manufacture: May, 2014
Product number: D7P53A8#ABA
Part No: D7P53-60001
Head Spare No: 737199-001, Base Spare No: 724032-001
Input connection: Display Port
Panel: Samsung LTM240CL01

*edit* Removed pictures as I don't think they represent what the minimal corner glow looks like. I'll take new ones. But from pictures I've seen the glow in the bottom corners is to be expected in most any IPS monitor.
It looks gorgeous otherwise. I was teetering on whether to return it, but really after playing games this is more than acceptable, the colors are gorgeous and for 3d / Texture work it's excellent.

Response times are good, Pixel refresh is good, I don't notice any sort of ghosting in games. Previously I was using a 1680x1050 TN panel with around 6ms, I don't see any negative difference.
I usually prefer a Glossy coating but this Light Matte coating the z24i has is very acceptable. I don't see any grain/sparkle like most Dell monitors have. No "dark corners" that I've seen in the past from pics, only lighter corners.

Last edited:
Anyone got a recommended place to buy this monitor from? Looking for some place with a good exchange/return policy.

Hi guys, regarding the HP Z24i display, I see a lot of websites (including HP) have a listing for:

"HP Promo Z24i 24 Inch IPS Monitor D7P53A8"

What's does 'Promo' mean?

http://h30094.www3.hp.com/product/sku/10713770

I spoke with someone at CDW concerning all the different model numbers floating around. I too was confused by this 'promo' word they threw around thinking it was a used monitor. But apparently the A8 is what they offer to consumers, A4 is more expensive and is offered to corporate. He said they are 100% the same panel, no idea why HP does this.

other thoughts, man this is a nice monitor.

currently looking at 4 monitors in front of me, all measured and calibrated with iDisplay Pro: dell u2412m, asus vs24ah-p, samsung s24c650bw, hp z24i

dell: i have one already i purchased some time last sept. rev1 of the 'Mb' revision. beautiful picture, no yellow tint. Went to get another and when i received it i got a July 2014 build, rev2 of the 'Mb' revision and it was pure junk. that was purchased from amazon, so i bought another from newegg, same thing. the colors were off, PWM flicker, whatever dell did to this sucker they completely ruined it. don't buy the u2412m anymore!!!

so that prompted me to start looking for reviews online and i just said f-it. B&H has no restocking fee, so i bought them all instead of relying on reviews. so hopefully this well help take a more objective look at this. all of these have lighter AG coatings than the u2412m

samsung s24c650bw: well i was curious to see these PLS panels, and it really is nice. ootb this monitor looked sharp, but it really just lacked 'pop', i was confused and thought i bought a TN monitor. in the display settings i switched it to a different gamma setting and it brought out a bit of depth, phew. So after some calibrations, the white consistency was SPOT on from 30IRE to 80IRE. this thing was stellar. however after looking at the primary colors, green was pretty far off, and throws off the whole blue spectrum. i can post the hcfr results once i get out of work for all the monitors to show you what i measured. but when you see this monitor next to the others, you can see it just lacks vibrancy, perhaps it's the LEDs sammy uses? who knows, it lacks depth and pop, even though it actually measured the highest contrast ratio

asus vs24ah-p: OOTB this sucker was spot on, maybe they calibrate this prior to shipping? idk, but i barely had to modify the levels. the stand sucks, and i believe there is a different model that carries the same panel, but with an upgraded stand. primaries are really nice, was able to get 2.1 gamma, and the color consistency is really good. this is a quality monitor at a low cost. hands down a great value. if money is the deciding factor, this is the monitor to get

hp z24i: save the best for last. honestly if you go looking for the cross-hatching, you can see if, but it's so slight that it's not distracting. measurements off this were the best hands down. sitting next to the asus, really the only major difference was how much more vibrant the colors and how much more depth the picture has. like i said the asus was surprisingly amazing, but next to the hp, you can really see where the it pulls away. it did measure a higher contrast ratio (the hp) so that could be the difference i'm seeing, who knows. but this is really a nice monitor. Needed some calibration however, ootb it wasn't great, so do yourself a favor and get a spectrometer (return it after your done if you'd like)

hope this helps, like i said i'll supplement this with my measurements when i get home. FYI, i have NOT done a panel consistency/uniformity. everything i've done has been on center, but all the monitors have the usual IPS glow, none better or worse than the other. if you sit far enough away you don't notice it.

Back