New HP Z24i IPS Gen 2

Dexmaus

Weaksauce
Does anyone have experience with this new HP monitor. I can't find any information for this model on the internet.

I currently own the HP ZR2440W, but I need another monitor for my bedroom, and I have a HP giftcard so I'm deciding whether I should buy another zr2440w or go with the new ips gen 2 display they claiming, both at the same price $369

I'm very interested in this monitor too, but I can't find out anything about it aside from the Prad review that you have to pay for. I'd really love to get someone's firsthand experience. Especially in regard to IPS glow and ghosting performnce.

Hey guys, I just got the Z24i monitor, picked it out for myself at work. First thing I noticed is the panel is really light-weight (especially compared to the discontinued LP2475w I have at home). The stand is pretty neat, has a large base (slightly convex) with built in swivel.

Backlight is fairly uniform, though the one I got is a bit leaky on the left side. I tried to take photos of the backlight bleed (I'll have to upload later, though I'm not quite sure how to accurately photograph). In comparison the LP1965 (1-2 year old refurb/new from HP) was more uniform.

FYI there was an HP instant rebate from our distributor, but today is the last day (end of HP's fiscal quarter). So there may be some deals ending today 10/31.

But this backlight bleed is critical ? How much annoying ?
Do you have only one ?

Last edited:
I have a question regarding the part number of this monitor. The shop I want to buy my z24i from offers two models with different part numbers: either D7P53A4 or D7P53AT. Does anyone have an idea whats the difference between these two and if HP might in fact use different panels for lets say business and private customers?

edit: Ive done a little research and found that HP might actually use two different panels. According to the TCO certificates there are two z24i models: HSTND-3771-W and HSTND-3771-Q.
Regarding the panels they mention LG LM240WU8-SLD2 and Samsung LTM240CL01 for -Q, and LG LM240WU8-SLD2 for -W.

refs for those who are curious:
http://h20195.www2.hp.com/V2/GetPDF.aspx/c03923194.pdf
http://h20195.www2.hp.com/V2/GetPDF.aspx/c03883186.pdf

Last edited:
Did any of you finally decide? What did you buy? How bad is glare on the Z24i in brightly lit room? Anyone got any pictures?

I picked up a Z24i. I love the AG coating compared to my U2412M / U2312HM. Picture is almost as brilliant as on a glossy screen. Backlight-Bleeding is fine, almost unnoticeable. The only downside is a contamination I found at one edge of the monitor. Guess I will just return the monitor and get another Z24i.

Do you use it in a bright room? How reflective is it? Can you take a picture maybe during daylight?

Should I even consider this monitor if I have a balcony window behind my back?

Sorry I have it in a pretty dark room without any windows behind me. Just give it a shot and return it if you dont like it.

I wish I could but the return policies are like the wild west here. You have to pay 10% restocking fee to return an item if you don't like it LOL. That would be about 30€ every time you wanted to return a monitor.

I think I'll just go for the PB248Q.

I'm interested in the Z24i as well.
Thanks to Pinga for discovering the differences in part numbers and panels!

What also makes me doubt are the specifications of the LG LM240WU8-SLD2 panel, some specs don't match the HP monitor, eg. brightness 350 vs 300 cd/m², response times...

I guess there's no way to tell if you received a Z24i with LG or Samsung panel?
I would think you should definitely see a difference between PLS and LG IPS panels when put next to each other. The question is which is superior.

Currently using an eizo flexscan EV2436, and my next monitor must definitely be free from annoying heavy coating and uniformity issues that plague me...

I hope to hear some more Z24i's owner's experiences in the future ;)

Anyone got a clue about the different part numbers of this monitor? By now there are at least 3 of them:
D7P53A4, D7P53AT, D7P53A8

@MIVEC2.4
Just access the monitor's service menu (hold down menu + power button). This will tell you which panel is used.

Does anyone have a clue about the different part numbers? By now there are at least 3 Z24i models: D7P53A4, D7P53AT, D7P53A8.

If Dex can't be bothered to update his sig after 5 years, don't waste your time in this thread ;)

I got one of these about a week ago and have been quite happy with it. Mine says it's a D7P53A with no add'l digit. I'm replacing an old Samsung 215TW S-IPS, and the display seems relatively similar in color, blacks, etc. In fact, as my first IPS I was worried about blacks and they're not bad, but I haven't watched a dark movie. Software-only cal showed the factory settings to be close; I dimmed it a little--room is either dimly lit office or south-facing windows in the day. Very clear text once I adjusted Cleartype preferences--fine for web work. I see a little bleed around the edges, but it's small and close to the bezel--I don't notice it in practical use. Games seemed fine, but I rarely do FPS--tried Dirt 3 and a couple others with no issue. I'm running only on the DVI input, so no data on the others.

Matte seems very light--not glossy but certainly not "chunky"--exactly what I wanted. If you look for it, there's a bit of a dot pattern on the white areas, but it's not noticeable unless you're 9" or so from the screen--at 2 feet it's completely fine. I've seen some of the Dell monitors known for cross-hatch and this is much better. I don't see any flicker at all, as expected.

Anyway, hope this helps. Recommended for general use, office stuff, web, and at least non-critical games; I'll defer to others on speed for more intensive gaming.

If there's a way to tell which panel I'd be happy to look and post back.

Mine says it's a D7P53A with no add'l digit.
I feel you had reffered from Part No. not Product No.

BeUgjcc.jpg

Thought I'd share my findings, I just got one of these. Same product no: D7P53A4.
I used an 27" Thunderbolt display before, great monitor but I always thought it was a tad too big and the reflection is just too noticable. So I bought and returned a dell 2713h (horrible overshoot and still a tad too big, now I was sure). I tried a dell u2413m which was o.k. but looked too much washed out and too much ag coating. Then finally I got the z24i.

Initially the brightness is set to 100% and contrast to 80%. Reducing those values, fiddling around with the text sharpness and adjusting the cleartype in windows this monitor really looks very crisp and clear. It's even better than the thunderbolt display. Ag coating is perfect, can't see it but still does it's job. I'm using it for programming work so a lot of text reading is involved. This monitor is just perfect for that. I'm gonna keep this one. (finally)

I just got one too.
Great display. As elgerm says.
I use it for lots of text work, very pleased with it.
I would buy it again.

I'm running two of these for my work setup. Great display, and as elgerm said, the Ag coating does it's job without being overly aggressive.

Thought I'd share my findings, I just got one of these. Same product no: D7P53A4.
I used an 27" Thunderbolt display before, great monitor but I always thought it was a tad too big and the reflection is just too noticable. So I bought and returned a dell 2713h (horrible overshoot and still a tad too big, now I was sure). I tried a dell u2413m which was o.k. but looked too much washed out and too much ag coating. Then finally I got the z24i.

Initially the brightness is set to 100% and contrast to 80%. Reducing those values, fiddling around with the text sharpness and adjusting the cleartype in windows this monitor really looks very crisp and clear. It's even better than the thunderbolt display. Ag coating is perfect, can't see it but still does it's job. I'm using it for programming work so a lot of text reading is involved. This monitor is just perfect for that. I'm gonna keep this one. (finally)

I bought one today, great display, can you share how you configured, brightness, contrast, sharpness etc...

has anyone seen both HP ZR2440w and Z24i? I'm wondering if Z24i is worthy successor. The test on prad.de makes me doubt... (worse score and no HDMI)

I'm planning to buy monitor soon (>24", >1200p, for programming etc.).

Just tried a Z24i. Have a ZR2440W/U2312HM setup currently (the 2312 is the newer glossy kind).

Plus: Glossy AG coating unlike harsh grain on ZR2440W and slightly better gamut

Negative: Very bad glow along with BLB, in comparison my ZR2440W has only small right corner glow and no BLB. In hindsight, both the units reviewed by prad.de and overclockers.ru have glow/BLB issues so this should have been a red flag to begin with.

Don't care about HDMI but if you need it for console then Z24i is a no go as well.

So the Z24i goes back and I stick to the ZR2440W until I can find something truly better. 30 screens in the past 18 months and counting ... :)

So, should I go with this one or the PA248Q? I'll use it for graphic design. I couldn't find a Z24i in any local store, only the Z23i and the Asus, but right now they only have the Asus in stock.

Last edited:
I returned my Dell P2314H because I had to use it upside-down for it to work right. I picked up a Z24I and within seconds saw a dead sub pixel and noticeable darkness in the lower right corner (I thought it was dirty). Overall panel uniformity seems really good to me except for that. The anti glare is really mild and seems very similar to the P2314H that I had.

The corners are less annoying than the pixel though. Monitor manufacturers generally have pretty lenient (toward themselves) pixel policies, but I think there is a disconnect between policies and the reality that most workstation-class monitors don't have pixel issues. So it's a bit disappointing. I think there's potential here if I can get a good one, but I seem to have bad luck with monitors.

I'd be interested to hear from others with this monitor.

12121823044_e1c97d8efa_z.jpg

Here is a shot in a nearly dark room (5PM facing east, so the brightness of the window is exaggerated) at 100% brightness and a black screen. There is some pretty minor backlight bleed which changes considerably if you so much as lightly press on the frame. It was originally worse, and I grabbed opposite corners and VERY gently twisted it back and forth a couple times and it improved considerably. The bleed may be simply due to the frame pressing slightly on the panel. I don't usually use monitors at 100% brightness in a dark room, so I think it's overall pretty good.

12123746335_3341bddebf_z.jpg

Last edited:
Got the replacement--no dead pixels! The backlight is still a little dimmer in the lower corners, but it isn't wretched. It also seems to be somewhat angle-sensitive and is exactly like the first unit. Here is a photo of a white screen:
12240621096_f9c67ae624_z.jpg

Overall seems to be pretty solid. Here's a photo of it in a pitch-black room with the brightness turned all the way up. The little line in the upper-left corner is a cursor, because I opened a black Terminal window to do this. There was a 1" area of backlight bleed in the upper-left, which I was able to completely eliminate by gently tweaking/massaging the chassis in that area. All the rest is IPS glow which is greatly exaggerated by the camera's auto-exposure (in real life it's not objectionable at all).
12244155905_1cc7500396_z.jpg

Hope this helps folks who are looking at this monitor. The anti-glare treatment is mild and the 16:10 ratio is really nice.

Last edited:
This is an update to my earlier post about the Z24I. I took some backlight brightness numbers at 100% brightness at nine points along the panel:

Code:
243 238 242
228 252 220
202 256 173

-3%  -5%  -4%
-10%  0% -13%
-20% +1% -31%

So we have an 83 cd/m^2 variation from brightest to the corner and 79 cd/m^2 from center to the corner. I sent these numbers and the photos to HP and was told that 32% brightness variance is normal. So, back it goes. I had two in a row like this, manufactured 4 months apart, so I recommend against this monitor if you're bothered by this sort of thing.

Last edited:
Check out the review from overclockers.ru on both the Z27i and Z24i, both have severe glow and BLB issues. HP messed up with these panels big time, they could have taken business from Dell with their disastrous U2713HM but instead lost that opportunity.

Check out the review from overclockers.ru on both the Z27i and Z24i, both have severe glow and BLB issues. HP messed up with these panels big time, they could have taken business from Dell with their disastrous U2713HM but instead lost that opportunity.

I just looked at that review. The uniformity results in that review look very similar to the Prad review with a 16% maximum variation. I had two units in a row with dark corners and the second one had 32% brightness variation which IMO is totally unacceptable. It's distracting enough that I colors look a different shade and I can see the non uniformity easily in my peripheral vision. If you look at the overclockers.ru snapshot, you can see a hint of the dark lower right corner problem--it helps to zoom out or stand back a few feet.

96_white_big.jpg

The second monitor I measured with a proper calibrated instrument and was shocked at how much darker the corner on my unit was. Double the percentage difference from the units in either review. I have two four-year-old Dell U2412M's on my desk right now that display a better image than the HP. Huge fail.

It seems like monitor cost has gone down but quality has remained stagnant. I'm sticking to cheap secondhand monitors for the time being, I'm afraid.

I haven't seen a review for any LED monitor that has good uniformity except for the expensive NEC monitors like the P242W that have a special compensation feature, but all the reviews noted a high pitched "whistling" noise for that NEC, which is a dealbreaker. This is what I measured for the light output on a full white field for my Z24i at the Brightness/Contrast level I use, 25/70 (and further auto-calibrated with Calman Enthusiast and profiled i1D3), which gives me 30 fL; values are relative to the center of the display:

Code:
+03%  +00%  -00%  +01%  +02%  -03%  -02%  -04%  -01%
-00%  -04%  -03%  -01%  +00%  -02%  -03%  -05%  -03%
-07%  -08%  -05%  -01%  +00%  -04%  -07%  -11%  -10%
-06%  -08%  -05%  -01%  +00%  -04%  -08%  -14%  -15%
-09%  -04%  -02%  -00%  -02%  -00%  -01%  -09%  -13%

Going by reviews, this seems pretty typical for this class of monitor. There are times when I notice a brightness shift, particularly in web forums that use light colors for shading rows in message lists. Then again, if I manage to stop looking for it, it normally doesn't bother me. I did order a second Z24i, and it measured about the same.

Code:
+03%  +00%  -00%  +01%  +02%  -03%  -02%  -04%  -01%
-00%  -04%  -03%  -01%  +00%  -02%  -03%  -05%  -03%
-07%  -08%  -05%  -01%  +00%  -04%  -07%  -11%  -10%
-06%  -08%  -05%  -01%  +00%  -04%  -08%  -14%  -15%
-09%  -04%  -02%  -00%  -02%  -00%  -01%  -09%  -13%

Going by reviews, this seems pretty typical for this class of monitor. There are times when I notice a brightness shift, particularly in web forums that use light colors for shading rows in message lists. Then again, if I manage to stop looking for it, it normally doesn't bother me. I did order a second Z24i, and it measured about the same.

Those numbers look pretty good, actually. Mine was similar to that over most of the panel, and I didn't notice it at all. The 32% darker corners were the issue. Sounds like my two units might have been anomalies. Thank you for posting these. Perhaps I'll try the Z24I again if it goes back on sale.

What are the model numberers of your units? Mine was D7P53A, rev SQT111. UPDATE: Just looked at the box, which says D7P53A4, HSTND-3771-Q.

Last edited:
Those numbers look pretty good, actually. Mine was similar to that over most of the panel, and I didn't notice it at all. The 32% darker corners were the issue. Sounds like my two units might have been anomalies. Thank you for posting these. Perhaps I'll try the Z24I again if it goes back on sale.

What are the model numberers of your units? Mine was D7P53A, rev SQT111, and there is a T at the end of the serial number.

The same. Mfg date Aug 2013. Samsung LTM240CL01 panel.

The same. Mfg date Aug 2013. Samsung LTM240CL01 panel.

Same panel on this one (which is in the box as we speak ready to go out). What was the uncalibrated maximum luminance? I was able to get at most 256 cd/m^2 which is well below the advertised specification of 300. I looked at the Overclockers.ru review again. They mentioned an LG panel and 323 cd/m^2 maximum brightness.

To ensure my meter was reading semi-honestly, I pointed it at my Retina Macbook Pro screen uncalibrated at 100% brightness, and the luminance was within 10 cd/m^2 of the published specification.

Last edited:
Back