New HP Z24i IPS Gen 2

Has anyone determined whether it is possible to tell the panel type from the product sku and/or serial number?

Guys I'm considering to buy this monitor, tbh it was never on my shortlist (actually only HP monitors I've checked were zr24/2440w) but I just realized that I can get like 200eur "discount" on z24i from retail price of ~300eur [or rather off any current HP monitor, like z27i etc].
So I'm just looking for reviews (seems there is not many of them) to see if its worth. I don't want to buy it only because its dirty cheap

I'm searching for next lcd monitor for years (so I hate that I have like 2 days for decision) and lately I had two displays on my shortlist EV2736W (which should be glow-free but some recent reports indicate it may no longer be true) and FG2421 (120hz VAtech and deep blacks)

Unless it is terrible panel I'm tempted to pull the trigger on this one as I may end up crazy if I continue searching/waiting another 3years for new monitor.

my usage pattern is ~40% games 35% web/work 25% movies so a bit allrounder :)

PS: for curious that "discount" is coming from HP as I work there and I've got 200eur credit to spent on some consumer HW. And I have like two days till credit is gone.
PS2: despite I work at HP I doubt I would be able to find answer to question if its possible to say which panel you get based on PN/SN/etc

I've been searching for the perfect replacement for my 1680x1050 Dell 2209wa 3 monitor setup.

In the last 60 days I have tried:

Dell u2412m: Found these hard on the eyes and uniformity wasn't great. I got the newer crappy version people have posted about. Back to Dell

Dell u2414h: ok but they are 1920x1080 and the touch menu buttons were absolutely horrible on the 3 of them and would take multiple presses to register. Back to Dell

Dell u2413: Got them on Days of Deals for a good price. The color was off on all 3 of them and very hard to get them even close to matching. The deal breaker was the inverse ghosting issue. Back to Dell. It's too bad I would have loved to keep these monitors as the build quality was excellent. I also found them a bit hard on the eyes compared to the Benq.

Current monitors:
Benq bl2411pt: colors match very well out of box. Flicker free and easy on eyes. Touch buttons on menu work every time. Bonus! Two of my monitors came with pre-scratched panels which I did not notice until after the exchange period. They are almost imperceptible though in normal viewing. Still very frustrated with that. The monitors don't have the best uniformity with the left 1/3 seeming to be a bit darker on 2 of them. I am pretty fussy with my monitors. I'm still not completely sold on these monitors and that brings me to the HP z24i and this thread.

I ordered a z24i today from newegg. Hopefully I'll get one of the better panels. I'll report back when it arrives and I put it up next to the bl2411pt.

IMAG0720.jpg

IMAG0719.jpg

Last edited:
My Z24i arrived today. It was manufactured July 2014. The service menu says:

panel type: SAMSUNG LTM240CL01
Scaler: RTD2486RD
FW Ver SQT110

I was unhappy to see that I didn't get the CL03 panel. However so far my tests are very positive on this monitor. I think the CL01 panel may have improved.

Initial tests:
No dead pixels
no detectable backlight bleed.
uniformity looks better than benq bl2411pt
edit: ips glow is about on par with benq bl2411pt

I need to spend more time in front of it but I think I would be happy with 3 of these based on the initial testing. However Dell has now introduced the U2415 into the mix which is 1920x1200 with thin bezels. I think I will hold off on the hp z24i and I am going to watch for the u2415 to go on sale. Hopefully in the next Dell days of deals.

Last edited:
The Dells and BenQ are not semi-glossy while the HP is, seems like you have a keeper, especially since the Dells inner black bezel ruins the perceived black depth (applies to all frame-less displays).

The Dells and BenQ are not semi-glossy while the HP is, seems like you have a keeper, especially since the Dells inner black bezel ruins the perceived black depth (applies to all frame-less displays).

I've played with the brightness/contrast and srgb settings and I have a picture I am very happy with. The z24i is not cloudy at all compared to some of the other monitors I have tried. The LTM240CL01 panel I have now is very nice. I don't seem to have the issues reported with the earlier ones. My monitor is manufactured in Jul 2014.

I had a set of 3 u2414h monitors and the inner black bezel didn't bother me. You can get them closer together than traditional bezel monitors. The traditional bezels don't bother me either though. The problem I had with the u2414h was with 1920x1080 resolution and the fact that the touch menu buttons were really unresponsive. I suppose I could have lived with the buttons if it was 1920x1200. The u2415 wasn't available at the time I ordered the u2414h. In fact I didn't see the u2415 until after I ordered the z24i.

All said and done the z24i is the best of what I have tried in the last 6 weeks. Listed in order of preference:

- HP z24i - I only ordered one but am quite happy with it. I need to decided between it and Dell u2415

- Benq BL2411PT - the uniformity on 1 of 3 monitors is good. The others are just good enough for me. No dead pixels

- Dell u2414h ( only 1920x1080 :( and touch buttons are really unresponsive ) also 2 of 3 had dead pixels

- Dell u2413 - nice build but inverse ghosting issue made me return them. 1 had dead pixels

- Dell u2412m ( I don't know what they did to this monitor but it certainly isn't impressive as of Sep 2014 ). No dead pixels on the 3 I received

Still debating whether I will order the u2415.

Last edited:
if you order the U2415, please make a comparison ;) ;) I'm also debating whether to get it or the z24i, mostly because I would prefer glossy monitors and I'm afraid colors on the Dell wont "pop out" enough!

if you order the U2415, please make a comparison ;) ;) I'm also debating whether to get it or the z24i, mostly because I would prefer glossy monitors and I'm afraid colors on the Dell wont "pop out" enough!

I have the z24i as the middle monitor now between my benq bl2411pt monitors. I honestly don't really see the HP as being glossier than the bl2411pt. In fact I don't really see any of them as being glossy. Looking at the monitors with them off using a flash light the coatings look similar to me. I'll post here and compare the u2415 if I get one. edit: (I spent more time looking at the monitors for reflections. Reflections show up more in the z24i so I guess that would make it glossier than the bl2411pt. )

The important things for me when picking my current monitors are:

- ips panel
- no dead or stuck pixels
- good uniformity
- little to no backlight bleed
- low lag and response time
- 1920 x 1200

Last edited:
I'll wait a review from overclockers.ru since they are the only ones comparing AG coatings properly ;)

so far:
image.jpg

Received my z24i yesterday.

Date of manufacture: August 2014
Product number: D7P53A4
RMN (Regulatory Model Number): HSTND-3771-W
Rev: LIT151
*Panel: LG LM240WU8
*Scaler: RTD2486RD
*FW ver: LITM05
*(info from service menu)

no dead pixel, no other obvious dmg on the screen. I think I don't see any backlight bleed as well, there is something in down corners probably IPS glow. I will take pic and post them later.

first impression
yesterday I noticed some weird eyestrain (something like KarelDrahan mentioned before) but today its ok. Maybe I was tired or eyes need to adapt to led/ips or something.

So far my feelings are mixed. Connected z24i with DP to my HD7950 and configured it to clone mode with my old monitor 7year old TN LG L204WT (1680x1050) to do some comparison. (z24i is set for gpu scaling/no scaling)
-UFO tests are better on z24i even with overdrive off - happy about this :)
-Did run two games, ghost recon - not much difference seen, and gw2 which has nicely lovely graphic. Here I can see that there is more colors and although some areas of screen show more details and looks better the overall feeling is that mostly I like more TN image. Mixed feelings about this.
-Viewing pictures has also mixed results. Although individual colors (meaning whole pic is mostly of similar color/shades) tends to looks better on z24i, some more complex pictures looks better on TN. Its like 60% when I say "I like its look more on z24i" , I didn't expect that. Spent like 2h doing this today, its like obsession :)
-Spent few minutes looking at various movie scenes and cant say I see much difference.

Maybe I had big expectations (IPS has great colors compared to TN shit etc), waiting for "miracle".Not sure what to think, I'm either blind or it is just matter of habit that for 7years my eyes got used to it. Or that z24i is in the end 6bit (which I wanted to avoid for my next monitor)?
Will probably have to get some colorimeter for measurements to put my mind at piece.

HP display assist app is nice, it controls monitor and no need to use clumsy buttons

one request, whoever has decent calibrated monitor can you guys pls check this picture http://pichost.me/1515165/ what color is his (Zero's) upper side of coat and helmet? Is it more like blue or purple? And sky behind his head, purple or blue (different shade than that of coat)? On TN it is purple, on z24i its blue.
This one is driving me crazy tbh. cause it definetly looks more nice with purple :) I've even checked anime now and there is really quite big difference in that blue/purple color. Didn't notice anything that dramatic on different colors. Not sure why (maybe it is deformed by big deltaE on blue color as seen in reviews? ). I asked few friends (none of which has decent/professional monitor afaik) to check it and its mixed results, some say purple some blue.

I am currently using two of these monitors and am considering acquiring a third one. I have been very happy with them and have experienced none of the problems others have mentioned here.

In earlier posts I indicated that the monitors I have, use a slightly different Samsung panel than previous models: LTM240CL03 instead of LTM240CL01. Others have mentioned that their panel was the CL01 model as found in the OSD menu (Look at Service in the Main Menu). For both of the monitors that I have, the Service menu says SAMSUNG LTM240CL01, however when the bezel is pulled up to view the actual panel, it's a LTM240CL03. (See photo posted earlier.)

Is there any other monitor in this class that I should look at first? I can order the Z24i for less than $300 from the same source as the other two.

Last edited:
I bought yesterday HP Z24i Gen 2 and I looked in service menu :)
There is LG LM240WU8 panel inside, look's like new generation panel of my old Dell U2410
which was great. Picture is great, no side glare at all or something. May be too bright by default but still nice and strong colors, sharp and precise picture. Production date is August 2015.
Today I will go for calibration and will see difference.

Back