New HP Probook LCD replacement not powering on

dave343

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a HP Probook 450 G3 with a broken (pressure point) LCD, it's just the regular 1366 x768 res. Since the 1080p screen was an option at the time, I went ahead and ordered an AU 1080p replacement screen instead. Now I know you're "suppose" to keep the LCD the same size etc... but I thought that was only with the old CCRT Displays and had to do with the inverter on them, and was no longer an issue with LED screens. So I got the new 1080p, installed it, cable fit perfect, but nothing... black. Doesn't even power on, except for the slightest little flickering, and I mean barely. When I hook the old screen back up, it at least powers on and displays, so now I"m not sure if the screen I got is defective, or I need the LVS dual channel display cable.
HP only shows one part number for the display cable and I've read that some LVS cables can do both? HP also only has the part number for the one screen, so maybe the 1080p option isn't listed on their parts. Before I send back this screen as dead, what are the chances it could just be the wrong cable, and I need the dual channel LVS?
I did some reading around and it seems quite a few people who attempted the screen upgrade on various laptops using the old single channel cable, got the LCD's to at least power on, and only display half the lines. With my 1080p screen, I get nothing. Back light does NOT even power on for a second. I get a barely visible flicker.

Idea's? Thanks in advance.

*EDIT

Looks like HP does have another cable that does both HD and FHD, but it's only available under their Spare Part List. It's actually the only cable they offer when you need a replacement.

Last edited:
Is it possible the graphics on your particular version of ProBook does not support FHD output? might be worth asking them...

Back