New HP Omen 32" QHD Monitor - 2560x1440, 5ms, 75Hz freesync, LFC, VA panel = $343 shipped

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's deals on the regular R9 Fury as well, only about , 5-10 percent slower than a fury x, I got mine for 240 bucks.

So using this with an NVIDIA card = frame skipping? ;/ Not really willing to switch cards just for a monitor... I picked one up regardless had the $25 coupon and a $50 giftcard $250 shipped.....

What are the chances of a firmware update or it getting fixed?

Last edited:
So using this with an NVIDIA card = frame skipping? ;/ Not really willing to switch cards just for a monitor... I picked one up regardless had the $25 coupon and a $50 giftcard $250 shipped.....

One of the guys posted screenshots in post 218 and post 215 of this thread compared a Fury X and a 1060 on the Omen 32. I don't have any more info than that, and I don't have an Nvidia card to test further. You should be fine with an Nvidia card at 60hz regardless on the Omen --- just 'might' have frame skipping at 75hz if you try to use an NVidia card. Assuming this isn't an isolated issue to that monitor or video card or computer.

https://hardforum.com/threads/new-hp-omen-32-qhd-monitor-2560x1440-5ms-75hz-freesync-lfc-va-panel-343-shipped.1909414/page-6#post-1042664451

This concern isn't unheard of though in the world of monitors. Apparently some freesync monitors don't play nice with Nvidia cards at their higher refresh rate. If you look it up in a websearch it's a pretty common problem.

It's not universal problem though either. I sold an Acer XZ350CU to a friend which was a freesync monitor with a 144hz refresh rate. He runs it just fine on his 1070 card at 144hz on his Windows 10 PC. (no gysycn or freesync obviously) but no frame skipping either. I saw it in person at a LAN party last week. It worked great.

I grabbed one, too, though I have a GTX 1070. I can't afford another GPU, but I'm going to see if it's there on my monitor, or how bad the situation is. And if it's there, then I hope that Nvidia or HP will fix it with an update.

Worst-case scenario, I deal with it for a few months, and then sell the 1070 and buy a Vega card when they release in 2017.

Its not a huge ordeal to run it at 60hz. You still get a pretty good experience.

Lol I sent an email and I'll call them in the morning, I should've put that a better way. It's in the process of being cancelled.

Did you cancel OK?Costco told me when I called at 10am EST that she had to forward it to another department and that I could expect a call in 1-2 days.......seriously WTF.

Ahhhh damn, my CostCo package shipped. Gonna have to refuse the package and wait for my money to be refunded :(.

Putting size aside how does the 32 Omen compare to the Dell U2717D? I just got the Dell but the size is smaller than I thought it would be upgrading from my 22"

Specs compare? Don't care about gaming

Bought mine on Amazon on Thursday, was delivered this morning around 9am.

Have yet to try it out, but DAMN it is big.

I bit.. ordered from Costco. If it sucks I'll just give it to the kids or use it to replace the 32" 480p tv in the back bedroom ;p

Bought mine on Amazon on Thursday, was delivered this morning around 9am.

Have yet to try it out, but DAMN it is big.

I bought 3 from Costco then saw that Amazon had 5% discover cash back so ordered 3 more from Amazon that said Monday Delivery. Tried to cancel the Costco order but could not and now Amazon messed up and I'm getting one monitor Monday and the other 2 Thursday according to tracking. What kills me is the ones from Costco are scheduled to arrive Tuesday. So you think a triple 32" is overkill :)

BTW I bitched at Amazon as my last 2 orders arrived days late and the credited me $50 on the monitor order.

Last edited:
So you think a triple 32" is overkill :)QUOTE]

Yes. Oh God yes. It is so big. I would hate to think how much desk space 3 would take. Pretty much impractical...

But I love my one....

You just have to sit a few more inches back than normal.

I picked up the Fury X on Newegg. Waiting on both to arrive. Its going to be a nice new experience. After using a 1920x1200 @60Hz monitor for around 5 or 6 years (I-INC iH282), this will be a lot of fun. Also, upgrading from GTX970 to a FuryX should be a nice upgrade as well.

^^^ I'm not going back to team red for this monitor yet. Hoping it cooperates with my 980 Ti.

I bit the bullet and got one at Costco for $335. Amazon went up to $350, so I'm happy.
Upgrading from a single Dell 24"...

Omen32-vi.jpg

Mine arrives tomorrow :D. Fingers crossed for 75Hz on my 980Ti's or sometype of firmware fix.... lol if not I'll still use it on another setup maybe.... too good of a deal $250 shipped had costco coupon and giftcards lying around.

Mine arrives tomorrow :D. Figures crossed for 75Hz on my 980Ti's lol if not I'll still use it on another setup maybe.... too good of a deal $250 shipped had costco coupon and giftcards lying around.

I connected one and went to display properties and it's running at 75hz now with my 980ti.

For those that ordered before the sale started: I called customer service and waited longer to talk to a representative than it took them to credit me back the difference from the pre-sale price to the sale price. Great customer service!

I get mine today, I am going to try and get some tests run tonight. I will be testing for frame skipping(980ti) and also taking a look at the input lag. From what I can tell my HP ZR30W has 11-14 milliseconds of input lag compared to a CRT. So I should be able to determine what the input lag of the Omen is by using http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/response_time.php This will be my first time doing any testing like this, but we'll see what happens.

Have you actually noticed the frame skipping or is it just the software above reporting it? Have you tried 60Hz?

To be honest I'm not going to go with Omen 32 it's a nice monitor for the price but my plan was to do triples and these have a noticeable color shift on dark scenes where my Phillips 40" 4K monitor has none.

It was between this monitor or a new sealed PS4 PRO with Uncharted 4 & Minecraft for $300

You can guess which I bought, lol. Was a tough decision though.

My costco one actually arrived today(go figure!). Archaea, my man, I will never doubt you ever again. This is the nicest picture on any monitor I've ever had. I can't BELIEVE I almost kept the pixio over this. I've only been up and running for a little over an hour, but this thing is an experience compared to the pixio. This screen is absolutely stunning, I can't believe how good it looks. The other thing that surprised me was how high quality the material feel when you're setting it up. The stand is a solid piece of metal with nice black matte paint. Just the overall quality and touch of the panel is really nice, the buttons are very responsive. The menu is simple and easy to navigate, everything about this monitor is really fantastic. I will say the 144hz 4ms response time on the Pixio did feel a bit smoother, but this wins by a large overall. This has better build quality by miles, I cannot overstate how much nicer this is than the cheap plastic on the Pixio, it's not even in the same stratosphere. This is like a high end hover board in build quality, the pixio is some cheap shit you'd throw away from a mcdonalds happy meal in terms of build quality, it's night and day. There' no backlight bleed at all, the picture looks great all across the screen, unlike the absurd amount of BLB from the pixio. The additional contrast is a nice touch, even with the lower PPI due to the sheer size of this thing, the picture is nicer overall. I can't believe how nice this thing is, I'm so glad I decided to return that cheap Korean garbage and pick this up, what a good decision for 300 dollars, unreal.

P.S. This monitor DOES pass the PMW flickering test on blur busters, one single line at 50 percent brightness for me as well.

My costco one actually arrived today(go figure!). Archaea, my man, I will never doubt you ever again. This is the nicest picture on any monitor I've ever had. I can't BELIEVE I almost kept the pixio over this. I've only been up and running for a little over an hour, but this thing is an experience compared to the pixio. This screen is absolutely stunning, I can't believe how good it looks. The other thing that surprised me was how high quality the material feel when you're setting it up. The stand is a solid piece of metal with nice black matte paint. Just the overall quality and touch of the panel is really nice, the buttons are very responsive. The menu is simple and easy to navigate, everything about this monitor is really fantastic. I will say the 144hz 4ms response time on the Pixio did feel a bit smoother, but this wins by a large overall. This has better build quality by miles, I cannot overstate how much nicer this is than the cheap plastic on the Pixio, it's not even in the same stratosphere. This is like a high end hover board in build quality, the pixio is some cheap shit you'd throw away from a mcdonalds happy meal in terms of build quality, it's night and day. There' no backlight bleed at all, the picture looks great all across the screen, unlike the absurd amount of BLB from the pixio. The additional contrast is a nice touch, even with the lower PPI due to the sheer size of this thing, the picture is nicer overall. I can't believe how nice this thing is, I'm so glad I decided to return that cheap Korean garbage and pick this up, what a good decision for 300 dollars, unreal.

P.S. This monitor DOES pass the PMW flickering test on blur busters, one single line at 50 percent brightness for me as well.

The one I hooked up had noticeable Backlight bleed it surely was not the worst I've seen but it was definitely there on mine.

omenbleed-vi.jpg

Definite frame skipping on my 980ti @ 75Hz at 60Hz there is no skipping what so ever. I am going to put some more gaming time on the monitor at both 75 and 60 and see if it's me or if I can actually feel the skipping in BF1. Right now I feel it's not as smooth as my HP ZR30W. Also watching the UFO on the ghosting test and the vertical line on the PWM test, 75Hz is not as smooth as 60Hz.

SmpsJAPYGD8QqMFFL9giV-U5BVVM93J-kC-_gSIKSTn0NT95HeXKLK4ZyqI5Rk1cCWiTpFz1dhU0gI3KBegaMQ4_zbdYA6L2K68aeNg6j5aHBtGlk39nS0ynB7JxapKAfDICiD_Zr_aQaHxhtB0MLysAqC26AI-saVt_-aPQxKDez1v-tykSKhEjJ3wuQtPJe2X0Hd-gWgRBoisbgqiBHmxN7B3qE662IyvNlaSwotjhqcgNUg55F0PZuXGqLroMfbjzz4-KuqHEpOgLMqJ262B1Xs2NOdpxaOr1xUDjzJGaFOo7GHbjDprVpgTwu6NwJEYCfw023mnaMdCCZCQIXV6K3XUMLPvbrVrPxmJzltwXpWNJzxtsz-5ErS0yFuvszXsKiT3FuJJ00cwsho2pQegVg3EFZ5RoilC4uaSZoYzFOYg_szqtjBm-jJlFMveJfA7y2sR2kv3FtzO1FY1pjUgiH8c_en_AJFGB5Yvcf0R32hBUSWjkvbHGrtxY-hOeCQyFUNQ7Np-1PqrCBLcAR9t_upxI5J9e34Av7mZdkwsqo1Hw7UB_84aWkQnT8rPDQku9dv8kV5eLZ0qfNqbb0aFbhJpgOQNA51LIGJtpffYDb6g8=w1920-h1271-no

I imagine everyone is using displayport for these tests. Does HDMI do 75Hz over that resolution? Wonder if there is frame skipping there. If not anyone know a track record of maybe a firmware fix or something from hp? I think someone mentioned they ship these monitors with NVIDIA card HP systems so I would think it would pose a problem for a lot of people....

what am i looking for during the frame skipping test because my omen feels like its skipping frames at 75hz with my hd7770?

I imagine everyone is using displayport for these tests. Does HDMI do 75Hz over that resolution? Wonder if there is frame skipping there. If not anyone know a track record of maybe a firmware fix or something from hp? I think someone mentioned they ship these monitors with NVIDIA card HP systems so I would think it would pose a problem for a lot of people....

I ran mine at 75hz over hdmi to try and see if it still skips frames still skips but it ran

I think my monitor may have a fatal flaw, freesync does not appear to be working :(. I have it in freesync mode and freesync selected to ON in AMD RADEON Settings. As soon as I shut VSync off in any game, everything starts tearing. I've tried changing the display port cable, nothing seems to work. Does this version of freesync only work with Vsync on? The last monitor I had to shut it off. I'm hoping I don't have to return this one I really like everything else about it.

Yes it still skips over HDMI @75Hz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back