New HP Omen 32" QHD Monitor - 2560x1440, 5ms, 75Hz freesync, LFC, VA panel = $343 shipped

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice find, if this monitor is decent I might use it to replace my benq 4k ips. I haven't really been a fan of the 4k experience for photo editing. Looking forward to what more people write about this screen.
Check the other thread for owner opinions, especially Archaea's YouTube reviews. Looks very nice for both productivity and gaming, and for me at a sweet spot for size, quality, and price.

I just checked my befrugal account from this original deal. It looks like it works. I have about $44 bucks in there "pending" Nov 27? which I'm assuming is the expiration of some sort of return window. Nice.

That means I originally spent about $325 on this display. That'll be about what I'll pay for the next two from Costco too!

I like this monitor a lot. I've been totally happy with it, but i'm easy to please.

Honestly, if this is too big and you can deal with an ugly ass bezel, the Pixio Px277 is a great performer. I've had it for three days now, and 144hz on 27 inches is close to a perfect fit. I'm still considering sending it back for BLB, but it isn't too bad. This at 300 is s great deal, but I'm loving 144hz too much to send it back for less.

Honestly, if this is too big and you can deal with an ugly ass bezel, the Pixio Px277 is a great performer. I've had it for three days now, and 144hz on 27 inches is close to a perfect fit. I'm still considering sending it back for BLB, but it isn't too bad. This at 300 is s great deal, but I'm loving 144hz too much to send it back for less.

I couldn't tell the difference between 144hz and 75hz. (well except the 144Hz had WORSE ghosting)

I just got this monitor using my BestBuy rewards (and price-matched to Costco at $400). Looks good so far: Deep blacks, no IPS-glow, minimal backlight bleed, 75Hz works, no obvious defects yet, and the construction quality looks great. It's mounted on an Ergotron LX articulating arm WITH the optional arm extension... still works, though I'm probably near the max spring tension.

What setting should we be using for the pixel response overdrive?

pixel response: default, fast, faster, fastest. I'll leave it at "faster" for now because the most aggressive overdrive settings are often prone to overshoot.

I couldn't tell the difference between 144hz and 75hz. (well except the 144Hz had WORSE ghosting)
good news, i don't think you need to spend money on a monitor at all because quite clearly you do not have eyes.

In regards to pixel response: The manufacturer is able to tune the pixel response via applied voltage overdrive. There is a delicate balance to this, as too much can result in pixels overshooting their target color, which can be visible as... odd-looking color artifacting, I guess. No overdrive at all will often result in slow pixel response.

Someone would have to test the monitor to determine the optimal compromise. Hopefully HP did a good job. The Crossover 32SS (same panel?) seems to have quite usable overdrive based on the one review on the net.

I'll be sticking with the 75Hz refresh rate for now. I run an older AMD HD 7950 (no FreeSync even... drat :( ) - I'm not sure if using Custom Resolution Utility or whatever could allow refresh rate overclocking on the HP Omen 32 ... I might be tempted to investigate that in the future. The Crossover 32SS is able to get 100Hz.

Are you sure the game you were playing was running at 144 FPS as well and the monitor was set to 144hz? I can tell right away, I downclocked the monitor to 75 to test it out and it's a pretty sizable difference.

Honestly? 27" vs 32" ? I cannot imagine anyone not having room for a whole 5" additional inches.

Pixio over .... HP? Seriously? ......... O-K .........

Are you sure the game you were playing was running at 144 FPS as well and the monitor was set to 144hz? I can tell right away, I downclocked the monitor to 75 to test it out and it's a pretty sizable difference.

Absolutely. FPS counters were in the corner. I played the new Doom as my main comparison. Hours each. Free Sync was enabled on my AMD Fury X and the correct refresh rate was selected through the Windows 10 control panel for each monitor.

I couldn't tell the difference. Both felt buttery smooth. I could tell a slight difference against the 60 hz of the Dell 3014.

I have video of each and my subjective impressions here. The 144hz Acer clearly had worse ghosting. That was the main difference.

Timestamp

12:30 Acer 35" 144hz Doom
16:45 Acer 35" 144hz ghosting on Path of Exile
22:25 Acer 35" 144hz ghosting on Blur Buster website

28:28 HP Omen 75hz Doom
33:26 HP Omen 75hz ghosting on Path of Exile
34:40 HP Omen 75hz ghosting on Blur Buster Website

Dell 3014 experience immediately follows (no freesync and just 60hz) so I'll not do timestamps.

Last edited:
I think there's a bunch of placebo with people thinking they can tell144hz. Yes peoples eyes are different, but that is my suspicion.

To the guy saying he can tell 61hz vs 60hz. You sir are guilty of sucombing to placebo and expectation bias. Stay far away from the audio hobby or you'll be robbed blind. Have a buddy "blind test" you on that slight overclock. There's No way you can reliably detect 1 FPS difference in several back to back tests.

I thought default is set to 5ms on the Omen vs. 7ms on the Pavillion.

I can verify when I get home.

Just a note, I can tell the difference between 75hz and 144hz on the desktop (Moving windows and such definitely have a more fluid movement) but in game i'd be hard pressed to notice a difference. I actually enjoy gaming on the Omen very much.

The reason the major VR headsets settled on 90Hz was because that was the point above which most don't notice a significant difference. So I definitely think many people could differentiate between 75Hz and 144Hz. It's not just matter of frequency however. Pixel response times, overdrive, degree of overshoot, how symmetrical (on-off-on) and consistent pixel response is can all impact perception of motion handling. Even if you get those things perfect the human eye still doesn't perceive smooth motion as it's still a series of still displayed back to back. That's where tech like black frame insertion (BFI) can help to prevent the appearance of jumping between frames.

Current OLED LG TV's have very close to zero pixel response time, as you can see from the B6 review at rtings.com. With sufficient peak luminance to support BFI high refresh OLED monitors could provide something close to perfect motion handling. If temporary image persistence can be solved (I believe uneven degradation is close to a non-issue now given latest OLED panel half-life) I am hopeful for reasonably priced OLED monitors in 2-4 years.

Honestly? 27" vs 32" ? I cannot imagine anyone not having room for a whole 5" additional inches.

Well, more 144hz with less surface area and a lower contrast ratio vs more surface area, higher contrast and lower refresh rate. Brand doesn't bother me much, I think the 32 would be a bit too big for me.

I think there's a bunch of placebo with people thinking they can tell144hz. Yes peoples eyes are different, but that is my suspicion.

Thanks for the detailed response, I'm not really sure how you can see the difference but I don't think it's a placebo. There's plenty of blind tests online where people can see the difference. It even shows up for me using my desktop and just moving the mouse around on the screen. 60 vs 61 is insane, no one could notice a difference within the margin of error. I don't think I can tell much difference once you hit 100 fps, but I can see the difference between 60 and 100 pretty easily. The difference between 100 and 144 is a little less noticeable.

Huacanacha,

Not sure that's a fair statement. VR shows each eye something different. The required refresh rate may be very different for that function, than just a image meant to be shared in viewing by both eyes.

Huacanacha,

Not sure that's a fair statement. VR shows each eye something different. The required refresh rate may be very different for that function, than just a image meant to be shared in viewing by both eyes.
Yes VR is absolutely a different use case and people will likely be more sensitive to motion handling in VR than on a monitor, in part because it completely replaces your reality rather than supplements it and is in stereo vs mono. But it does show that people can tell the different between refresh rates higher than say 60Hz. I would also be very surprised if in a blind test people were able to tell the difference between 1Hz increments, but 60-75 and 75-144 I expect some people (not all) could see the difference on the same display.

My larger point is that refresh rate is one small part of accurate motion handling. Refresh rate is only how many frames per second are attempted to be displayed, whereas pixel response is the time it takes to actually change a pixel from one value to another (and this varies for different shades/colors and up/down direction etc). As such comparing 75Hz on one screen vs 144Hz on a different screen isn't a good comparison of the effect of refresh rate. Pixel response, overdrive and resultant overshoot etc all have a large impact on perceived smoothness of motion, which is why I suspect you prefer the motion handling of the Omen at 75Hz vs the Acer at 144Hz. It's also partly why I'd rather a good 75Hz display vs a 144Hz display that doesn't balance these factors.

Some useful articles:
http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/lcd-motion-artifacts/
http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/oled-motion-blur/

Also see the reviews (like for the Acer Predator) from monitor TFT Central that measure these factors.

I didn't and I too thought I would have enough room but there is substantial size difference though it does not seem like it. Moreover my desk had a enclosure of sorts for the monitor and 32" wouldn't fit so I had to rip it apart. Not everyone uses a huge flat desk.

It's not generic. I checked the Pavilion 32 manual and it doesn't have the Response Time menu or even mention response time. I found it curious that the Omen manual doesn't specify which overdrive (which is what Response Time actually controls) setting gets you to 5ms response... not that manufacturer listed response times are actually that useful. Higher overdrive settings typically lead to unsavoury levels of overshoot from the reviews I've seen. I'd guess Fast or Faster would be the preferred setting (and not Fastest) on the Omen 32 but without professional reviews it's hard to say. You can always do the ghost tests to see what looks best for you (generic too here) which in the end is what matters.

Last edited:
Quick delivery from Costco - ordered Friday, showed up today. Since the first one isn't for me, I may not be in a position to set up until this weekend. :oops:

I didn't and I too thought I would have enough room but there is substantial size difference though it does not seem like it. Moreover my desk had a enclosure of sorts for the monitor and 32" wouldn't fit so I had to rip it apart. Not everyone uses a huge flat desk.

Yeah i have to agree, I think the height would be too much for me as close as I sit to my desk, that and it's not that deep. 27 feels really good, but I can kind of understand 34 inch ultrawide based off of my field of view from where I sit.

Nope, like I quoted above, from the HP Omen 32's manual (I don't have one, but I downloaded it):

"Select one of the following levels from the Response Time menu: Level 1 (Default) Level 2 (Fast) Level 3 (Faster) Level 4 (Fastest)

The default response time for the monitor is 7 ms. The response time can be adjusted to as low as 5 ms in the display menu. All performance specifications represent the typical specifications provided by HP’s component manufacturers; actual performance may vary either higher or lower."

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05219582
Page 15.

Maybe the manual could be generic between those models, but I guess it's something to try out.

Trick is --- Default is NOT what it is set to by default. :)

It varies by the quickset mode. I just factory reset my monitor to be sure. These are the results.

HP Enhance + mode is set to Level 1(Default)
Gaming-FreeSync mode is set to Level 2(Fast)
Photo mode is set to Level 1(Default)
Movie mode is set to Level 1(Default)
Text mode is set to Level 1(Default)

So the gaming mode when FreeSync turns on is at least set to Level 2(Fast) which makes me think that is the 5ms setting.

Last edited:
Hey, Does this monitor support 72Hz? Jutterfree 24p content is why I have a 144hz monitor currently, but it's only 1080p.

Just a word of warning that 75hz does not properly work on Nvidia cards. If you don't believe me, you will find out. Nvidia cards frame skip with this monitor at 75hz.

Just a word of warning that 75hz does not properly work on Nvidia cards. If you don't believe me, you will find out. Nvidia cards frame skip with this monitor at 75hz.

what if you limit the game to 74fps? Very interested in this monitor, but didn't learn about this monitor until switching to nVidia after 5+ years with ati/amd.

Probably going to return the Pixio, my BLB has gotten way worse the last few days. Hope this thing isn't too big.

I was curious about this. I was turned off by the horrible stand (I would need it lower) and the sheer size would take some adjustment in my environment, but yeah, I'm an nVidia owner. /sigh.

I have had mine at 75hz since day one and I have not noticed any abnormal frame skipping or stuttering with my 970. Are you sure it is not something else?

How have you setup the monitor and drivers, and what have you tried to get it working @ 75Hz? Seems like others aren't having the same problem or don't notice it. Is it very noticeable to you or is there a specific test you use to highlight frame skipping?

Hey, Does this monitor support 72Hz? Jutterfree 24p content is why I have a 144hz monitor currently, but it's only 1080p.
Should work fine with a custom driver tweak. Its within freesync range. In windows by default you only see 60 and 75hz.

How have you setup the monitor and drivers, and what have you tried to get it working @ 75Hz? Seems like others aren't having the same problem or don't notice it. Is it very noticeable to you or is there a specific test you use to highlight frame skipping?

Windows 10 set to 75hz I have frame skipping, set to 60hz and its gone. Tried several drivers and then fired up my r9 290 and worked just fine. Tried both with gaming mode and without. Maybe some have a newer firmware than mine??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back