New HP Omen 32" QHD Monitor - 2560x1440, 5ms, 75Hz freesync, LFC, VA panel = $343 shipped

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like it's too late to jump on one of these. I too have the HP ZR30W - 30" IPS which I still like a lot, just want a higher refresh rate without paying $700 and having to go with a 27"

Anybody get one of these yet? I have a gtx 1070, and this size wise seems perfect. Not sure how it would do for the gaming.

Not sure what you are asking on this. Are you wanting to know if the monitor is good for gaming or if your 1070 is going to run it?

If it's the latter then take a look at any of the 1070 reviews out there and look for the 2560 x 1440 resolution benchmarks. That will tell you how your 1070 will perform.

Yep, deal looks dead but this monitor price seems to be just $425 so I think we will see even better deals on it in the future. Also, I have to say I'm really impressed with HP quality to price ratio. My last two monitors have been HP and they have been great in quality and looks. They really are not just giving cheap glossy shit.

Also if anyone is interested in the 27" HP Z27n PM me. I might not keep it but don't want to cancel it. I originally opted for it as the price seems insane but jumped on this after seeing Archaea video.

I just ordered this Omen monitor yesterday. I'm really hoping it will be a good upgrade for my current 32" 1080p monitor.
I'm just worried it will put too much stress on my GTX 770.
LOL, upgrades just lead to more upgrades.

Archaea are you able to do any input lag tests to see how responsive it is compared to the Dell U3014 and the Acer 35"?

Anybody get one of these yet? I have a gtx 1070, and this size wise seems perfect. Not sure how it would do for the gaming.

1070 is supposed to be pretty good for 1440p gaming.
Check out [H]ard's review on the 1070 peformance in Deus Ex Mankind Divided.
Very demanding game but the 1070 was up to the task.
Once the game is updated for DX12, the performance should increase as well.

Last edited:
I just received mine and am using it right now. Setup was a breeze. No dead pixels. Driving it with a 290x without issue. Only thing I have tested so far is Star Citizen. Able to get solid 60 FPS in freeflight (I have FPS capped at 60 through Radeon settings at the moment). When I have more time I will do further testing and post some vid.

This is an impressive product compared to the Lg-29um67-p which now sits in the corner of my room! More vivid display (for lack of the appropriate technical term).

I just received mine and am using it right now. Setup was a breeze. No dead pixels. Driving it with a 290x without issue. Only thing I have tested so far is Star Citizen. Able to get solid 60 FPS in freeflight (I have FPS capped at 60 through Radeon settings at the moment). When I have more time I will do further testing and post some vid.

This is an impressive product compared to the Lg-29um67-p which now sits in the corner of my room! More vivid display (for lack of the appropriate technical term).
290x supports freesync. Turn it on! :)

And why not jump it to 75hz right away.

Display settings
Advanced display settings
Display adapter properties
Monitor
Screen Refresh Rate - drop down to 75hz
Okay

I have the monitor set to 75. I manually capped it because the card hits very high temp if I don't. Here is a short sample

How about ghosting and motion clarity compared to your LG?

Manually captured it, as in, with a phone or camera?

capped != captured. read again pls.

You can cap FPS with the Radeon software.
I captured the video using MSI afterburner. Can't seem to get a higher resolution on youtube.

How about ghosting and motion clarity compared to your LG?

The HP seems to provide overall sharper performance. Until someone like TFTCentral does a comprehensive review all I can give is subjective feedback.

capped != captured. read again pls.

You can cap FPS with the Radeon software.
I captured the video using MSI afterburner. Can't seem to get a higher resolution on youtube.

That's what I figured. So, just as an FYI, you didn't show us what your monitor can do as you did a software capture. You recorded the GPU's output.

More extreme but to the point example. If you took a sledge hammer and smashed your display, then used Afterburner to record it, you wouldn't see a shattered display. You'd see the same thing that you posted in your Youtube upload.

I saw this deal last night but my checking account was low from the r9 fury I just bought. I woke up this morning to deposit cash and buy it and deal was done.

So bummed. I'm still going to buy it.

Frankly it's worth retail price. This is a really nice display. Kudos to HP for releasing a nice gaming monitor and not trying to charge $600 or $800 bucks for it retail like pretty much everyone else. It's priced like a nice 32" TV and has better specs than a nice 32" TV for PC use. Here's hoping they release a gsync version in the future for the Nvidia fans and yet keep the price low.

You can hold out for another HP coupon

Or you could buy HP gift cards at like 10% off from one of the gift card resale shops on the web and pay a reduced rate that way by paying primarily with discounted gift cards. Or probably still use the 20% off MasterCard use at HP offer at coupon.com.

There are still ways to save a buck.

Last edited:
iqyVW62.jpg

xXNSXRK.jpg

9jstHVP.jpg

The reason I went for this monitor is the aspect ratio and of course the pricing.

I really wanted to keep the 16:9 aspect ratio. The 21:9 aspect ratio makes for short monitors.

For example:

32" Omen 16:9 has
H 15.69"
W 27.89"
Area 437.55
2560x1440

34" Dell 21:9 has
H 13.39"
W 31.25"
Area 418.55
3440x1440

35" Acer 21:9 has
H 13.79
W 32.17
Area 443.53
2560x1080

30" Dell 16:10 has
H 15.9"
W 25.44"
Area 404.49
2560x1600

So in this jumbo screen category, the Omen actually has the second highest viewable screen area.
It has the second highest height, being only .2 inches shorter than the 30" Dell.
It places 3rd in width, being 2.5 inches wider than the 30" Dell.

The shocking revelation to me is that if you buy one of the more commonly sized 34" superwide screens, you actually LOSE in total viewable screen area to the Omen.
Only by going up to the less common 35" superwide size, does 21:9 regain the viewing area advantage.

Looking at the height, you lose 2 inches compared to the Omen going to either a 34" or 35" superwide screen.

Keep in mind here I'm talking physical screen size, not pixels.

The other thing that worried me about 21:9 was game compatibility and performance.
If for example I picked the Dell 34" 21:9 (which is going for just $699 currently), I would have to tweak a lot of games to make it work with 21:9 format.
I'd also need to drive even more pixels, and thus buy maybe a 1080 to make it work.

Here's the website I used to compare aspect ratios and size.

I'm really hoping the model that I get has no dead pixels and acceptable input lag. I'd really like to keep this new monitor, as I felt I wanted an upgrade over 1080p.

I haven't gotten any cash back from the coupons.com offer. Anyone else do it with a Mastercard? Man I'll be bummed if I don't get it. Some people on slick deals said they got I before the charge even posted.

Wish it were a little smaller but this is a great deal. Hopefully this means the price of 1440p monitors will come down and become more popular. The market is flooded with 1080p panels so they are so cheap compared to anything else.

Wish it were a little smaller but this is a great deal. Hopefully this means the price of 1440p monitors will come down and become more popular. The market is flooded with 1080p panels so they are so cheap compared to anything else.

Even 4k has started getting cheaper than 1440p. You can regularly find the LG 27" IPS 4K FreeSync monitors for $400 now, and these are high quality monitors. The only 27" 1440p FreeSync at our near that price is the Pixio which is essentially a Korean monitor with some semblance of US warranty.

Just got the Costco Holiday coupons starting 11/24 and looks like they'll have this for $299 (+taxes)

Link

Last edited:
At $299+tax this is an instabuy. I can't see the coupons online yet... will definitely be checking when available to see if I can get in my area.

Hmm.. I just ordered a refurbished Pixio px277 1440p 144hz freesync 27 inch panel for 295 dollars. If I don't like it I'll send it back and get this panel. Seems like an interesting trade off, half the Hz frequency for a larger VA panel with 75 Hz.

I just ordered the Omen 32 from Costco last night...I hope this is true because Costco is usually pretty good about crediting you the difference if the price drops withing the 90 day return policy.

The sale is shown in the upcoming advertisement shown here. Click the "Starts Nov 25" section, then around 2/3 down the page under the Nov 24-28 sales. It shows $100 off, so assuming Costco doesn't jack the price from current $399.99, should be sub $300 in a few weeks.

Sort of a gray area of whether it would be considered a Black Friday sale. I'm torn between ordering on my Citi card, which has 2yr extended warranty and price protection that explicitly states that it covers Black Friday sales, or my Chase card which has 5% cash back for Costco this quarter, but only 1yr extended warranty and price protection language that excludes "seasonal sales."

The sale is shown in the upcoming advertisement shown here. Click the "Starts Nov 25" section, then around 2/3 down the page under the Nov 24-28 sales. It shows $100 off, so assuming Costco doesn't jack the price from current $399.99, should be sub $300 in a few weeks.

Sort of a gray area of whether it would be considered a Black Friday sale. I'm torn between ordering on my Citi card, which has 2yr extended warranty and price protection that explicitly states that it covers Black Friday sales, or my Chase card which has 5% cash back for Costco this quarter, but only 1yr extended warranty and price protection language that excludes "seasonal sales."

Looks like they're "In Warehouse" deals. In store only?

That's the top, Nov 25-28 section. The lower Nov 24-28 section that this monitor is in lists as online-only.

Nice find, if this monitor is decent I might use it to replace my benq 4k ips. I haven't really been a fan of the 4k experience for photo editing. Looking forward to what more people write about this screen.

In for one on my Citi card - hopefully will get $100 back thru their price protection in a few weeks once the sale starts. Worth missing the extra cashback and paying tax on the extra $100 to guarantee myself a unit - plus I was trying to snag a monitor for my brother in the near term, so this works out perfectly.

If I love it when it shows up, maybe I'll buy a second for myself. And/or, if I manage to get another one on my Chase card once the sale actually starts, even better. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back