New HP Omen 32" QHD Monitor - 2560x1440, 5ms, 75Hz freesync, LFC, VA panel = $343 shipped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archaea

[H]F Junkie
DEAL IS DEAD - Normal street price back to $400-$450.
Ongoing discussion held here:

https://hardforum.com/threads/hp-omen-32-qhd-monitor-2560x1440-5ms-75hz-freesync-va-panel.1909919/

-------------------------

Edit- Costco is apparently selling this monitor for $300 bucks online (5% surcharge for non club members) and in store starting November 24.

At $300, there is no competitor for this monitor on the market. Nothing even close to my knowledge.

---------------------------

Original post follows.

Saw this over at slickdeals today and picked one up.

32" OMEN by HP 2560x1440 75Hz QHD LED FreeSync Monitor $343 + Free Shipping 08-28-2016

This is basically a cutting edge freesync 32" 2K monitor. Has LFC which is an additional new tech within freesync that stands for "Low Framerate Compensation". LFC is supposed to smooth framerates down to 30FPS. The WVA+ panel has a native 75Hz refresh rate, has 5ms response time, has a matte screen, and is brand spanking new to the market. There aren't any reviews out there yet that I could find.

HP has free shipping and free return shipping if you don't like it - so the risk of not liking it is not financial - just time. You purchase through HP's site directly using coupon code SAVEACCY

I went ahead and bought one.

Other ways to save further -

IF you have a mastercard you can get 20% off through coupons.com at HP
and IF you have a befrugal.com account you can get 10% off through a passthrough link.

I don't have a mastercard - but I did try to utilize the befrugal referral link. If that works it should be another $30 off.

Total =
$358 after coupon code including the ~$15 tax and free shipping. If I'm lucky the befrugal referrer link will work and knock it back down to $325ish total.

Last edited:
Very odd, but you can hardly find reviews for new HP monitors, not even on YouTube.

I have the HP 27XW and also had the HP 27XI and they are are very decent monitors. No bleed problems or ghosting issues so they have been great to game on. Plus I love how sleek they look.

I may get this one also but I will also need a new desk...decisions, decisions.

I've been interested in these 32" VA panels ever since I saw test results for the Crossover 32SS (100Hz capable with Nvidia, Freesync 75Hz, pretty good pixel response compared to most IPS displays): playwares.com/dpreview/50274795 . This is NOT the same as the Crossover 32S.

Pixel perfect version is $600 on Newegg. Green-Sum was selling the regular version for $400 on ebay. I'm a bit hesitant to pull the trigger due to the quality-control issues with these Korean monitors.

It'd be great if the HP happened to have good pixel response and overclocked above 75Hz.

That's a nice display for the coin. I own a 32" BenQ (2K) & I'm pleased with it.

I'm really tempted by this. The last couple $399.99 27", IPS, 144hz monitor were so quick that they were over before I had a chance to click. I'm going to check my Amex and see if I loaded the HP credit. I think I did, but I want to verify first.

I'm really tempted by this. The last couple $399.99 27", IPS, 144hz monitor were so quick that they were over before I had a chance to click. I'm going to check my Amex and see if I loaded the HP credit. I think I did, but I want to verify first.

Look at the Pixio on Amazon. 27" AHVA (IPS), 144hz, FreeSync, $389. It has good reviews.

Archaea, please write your opinion when you will receive it. I'm really interested. Thanks. ;-)

Last edited:
I have one coming as well. Hopefully I get the 20% cash back from mastercard along with the 10% from befrugal. Also got $10 from befrugal for first sign up and should be getting $15 for referring a family member here shortly. I will let you all know how the monitor is when it comes in.

Archaea, please write your opinion when you will receive it. I'm really interested. Thanks. ;-)
I will.
But do note the sale might not still be on. Mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow. If you have interest buy now and if you don't like it send back for free. You'd be out nothing but time. If you wait you might be paying 80$ + more if the sale ends.

Archaea since it looks like you will be the first one here to get yours if you could possibly run a test to see if the monitor has pwm back light dimming. I think it's something a few of us are wondering about.

Didn't load the HP Amex offer... Does the Mastercard deal stack on top of the HP promo code?

EDIT: From SD, " I used my Mastercard to purchase this to get the coupon.com (edit 20%) cashback. Cashback or not it's an awesome deal! Thanks OP!

Edit: Skip Amex. Mastercard 20% cashback is $75 off. For me: $430 - 86 (coupon) + 32 (tax) = 376 - 75 (20% cashback) = $301 all in!!!"

Last edited:
Sure. I can test that. What's the best way to test?
I thought there was an easy way to test for this but now that I am looking it seems not so easy to figure out. I saw on blurbusters.com there is a Blur Trail / PWM test but not really sure how to interpret it. I seem to be able to see 3 or 4 lines on my Dell 2209wa during this test and I do not know if this monitor has PWM back lighting. I am going to look into it some more.

Almost bought this for gaming, since my Samsung's 4K is way past my computer's capabilities. 32" might also be fun for gaming.
There don't seem to be VESA mounts though. My monitor arms might not be delighted about holding up a 32" but I think it'd work.

Saw this over at slickdeals today and picked one up.

32" OMEN by HP 2560x1440 75Hz QHD LED FreeSync Monitor $343 + Free Shipping 08-28-2016

This is basically a cutting edge freesync 32" 2K monitor. Has LFC which is an additional new tech within freesync that stands for "Low Framerate Compensation". LFC is supposed to smooth framerates down to 30FPS. The panel has a native 75Hz refresh rate, has 5ms response time, is some sort of VA panel (not sure which kind as there are no reviews yet), has a matte screen, and is brand spanking new to the market. There aren't any reviews out there yet that I could find at all.

Just a heads up on this.

1) LFC doesn't necessarily target 30fps. It attempts to double the refresh rate over the frame rate to allow for FreeSync to continue to function below the minimum FreeSync range. Typically, it functions at half the minimum range. So, a 40-144hz FS panel will work down to about 20fps with LFC.

2) I'm trying to figure out the Omen's true LFC capabilities. It's listed as 48-75hz for the FS range, which doesn't meet AMD's specification for LFC. Additionally, HP's listing doesn't show LFC. I suspect that this display does not support LFC. The FS range would have to be 30-75, or 48-120. A range of 48-75 doesn't work.

I'd assume it doesn't have LFC until we get some independent testing.

Last edited:
Seems they normally sell above $500. Not sure it would be good for gaming though at 14ms but might be great as a everyday monitor. Tempted.

HP doesn't inflate their specs. A response time of 14ms is about where IPS really is without overdrive.

Just a heads up on this.

1) LFC doesn't necessarily target 30fps. It attempts to double the refresh rate over the frame rate to allow for FreeSync to continue to function below the minimum FreeSync range. Typically, it functions at half the minimum range. So, a 40-144hz FS panel will work down to about 20fps with LFC.

2) I'm trying to figure out the Omen's true LFC capabilities. It's listed as 48-75hz for the FD range, which doesn't meet AMD's specification for LFC. Additionally, HP's listing doesn't show LFC. I suspect that this display does not support LFC. The FD range would have to be 30-75, or 48-120. A range of 48-75 doesn't work.

I'd assume it doesn't have LFC until we get some independent testing.

FreeSync™ Technology | AMD

LFC.JPG

Yup, saw that. That page has had numerous errors in the past. Again, the FreeSync range doesn't mesh with their stated requirements for LFC, and HP doesn't advertise LFC as a feature, so I'd go in cautiously optimistic.

Yup, saw that. That page has had numerous errors in the past. Again, the FreeSync range doesn't mesh with their stated requirements for LFC, and HP doesn't advertise LFC as a feature, so I'd go in cautiously optimistic.

So maybe I'm not understanding? 30Hz x 2.5 = 75Hz....

Someone in the slickdeals thread said 75Hz is possible - you just need a 2.5 ratio from max to min?

There's another error on that page that I didn't catch the first time, just went to verify. The HP Pavilion 32 is a 60hz display, and they have it listed as FS range of 48-70. I BELIEVE it's actually 40-60 but can't confirm. (Note: It's uncommon but does happen where a FreeSync monitor will have a higher Freesync range than default maximum refresh rate that is only exposed when FreeSync is used).

So maybe I'm not understanding? 30Hz x 2.5 = 75Hz....

Someone in the slickdeals thread said 75Hz is possible - you just need a 2.5 ratio from max to min?

This is incorrect. As per AMD's website (the same page where you got the chart above), LFC is possible when the maximum FreeSync range is 2.5x or greater the minimum FreeSync range. So, this monitor has an advertised FS range of 48-75hz. The minimum is 48, so 2.5x that is 120. It would need a range of at least 48-120 to support LFC per AMD's own specs. If the advertised FS range of the monitor was 30-75, then yes, that would work, but it's not. It's listed as 48-75.

I submitted a service request to AMD to confirm.

Service Request: {ticketno:[8200706444]}

I have the Envy 32 version with freesync. Same panel with similar specs plus speakers.

FYI: Your refresh will be locked to 60hz unless freesync is turned on. Treat this as a 60Hz monitor unless you have AMD cards. I was never actually able to get freesync working on my monitor, and I tried everything possible using two different AMD cards. I am working on getting a replacement monitor now. Other than that this is a great VA monitor and I have been very happy. If you don't need g-sync this is a great deal!

At the moment I use adaptive vsync with my nvidia 1070 and it has been awesome.

I'm always looking to upgrade my side monitors. Would have preferred 4K, but this price is sooo compelling...

I guess that this Blur Busters UFO Motion Tests test is how we can test for pwm. I tried it on my Dell 2209wa and I can see at 100% brightness one line that appears to be about 4 pixels wide moving across the screen. If I turn my brightness down to 0 I can see about 6 individual lines. This is with the test set to the defaults with the moving line set to 1 pixel wide. I believe this means my Dell uses pwm and maybe at 100% the frequency is too high for me to pick out the individual lines which makes it appear to be one 4 pixel wide line? I know my Dell doesn't use an led backlight but uses cfl which I have read is less distracting if using pwm.

I'll link a youtube video review shortly for this HP Omen, but initial impressions are VERY strong. It's quite the monitor! Most likely will surplant my Dell 3014. I'll use it for a few days and then have a better estimation of which I like better - this or the Dell 3014. This bests the Acer ZX350CU pretty easily IMO. I've been going back and forth between all three today.

I'll link a youtube video review shortly for this HP Omen, but initial impressions are VERY strong. It's quite the monitor! Most likely will surplant my Dell 3014. I'll use it for a few days and then have a better estimation of which I like better - this or the Dell 3014. This bests the Acer ZX350CU pretty easily IMO. I've been going back and forth between all three today.
Acer ZX350CU? There is almost no information for that monitor. Please do link that video though as I would like to see how it actually looks.

Also, no bleed issues? Text look fine on it?

I'm putting up a 3 way compare probably tomorrow between the Acer ZX350CU (which has a lot of plusses and then several serious comprimises too.) the HP Omen 32", and my residual champion --- which may be dethroned - the Dell 3014.

I've cut down the HP Omen 32" portion of the review and am uploading it to youtube now.

Text looks great, 0 bleed, This HP Omen is a REALLY surprisingly good looking monitor - regardless of price.

Please post reviews. I currently have a first Gen 27inch 60HZ 1440P IPS Korea Monitor. Nothing wrong with it and I have the version with a scaler but I would love to try freesync. I hate screen tearing.

I'm putting up a 3 way compare probably tomorrow between the Acer ZX350CU (which has a lot of plusses and then several serious comprimises too.) the HP Omen 32", and my residual champion --- which may be dethroned - the Dell 3014.

I've cut down the HP Omen 32" portion of the review and am uploading it to youtube now.

Text looks great, 0 bleed, This HP Omen is a REALLY surprisingly good looking monitor - regardless of price.
Please post a link to the HP footage asap. This could be my next monitor :)

Please post reviews. I currently have a first Gen 27inch 60HZ 1440P IPS Korea Monitor. Nothing wrong with it and I have the version with a scaler but I would love to try freesync. I hate screen tearing.
I've owned one of those 1440 IPS Korean monitors. It wasn't that great and I didn't keep it long. It was the one that MicroCenter carried. I can tell you without question - this is a better monitor than that one. FAR better. Unfortunately my Sony Bloggie camcorder quality is NOT very good and only 720p/60FPS, but you'll get the idea from the video.

Last edited:
yes - it's all in the video. Initially it doesn't automatically turn on free sync - you have to put the monitor in the game mode quick setting, then you can turn on free sync. I've not read the manual, but that's what a google search mentioned, and it worked for me - so that's what I know for now. Then regarding 60hz vs. 75hz - it was simply changing the display adapter refresh rate in the drop down to 75hz from the default 60 and all the games worked at 75 from that point forward.

yes - it's all in the video. Initially it doesn't automatically turn on free sync - you have to put the monitor in the game mode quick setting, then you can turn on free sync. I've not read the manual, but that's what a google search mentioned, and it worked for me - so that's what I know for now. Then regarding 60hz vs. 75hz - it was simply changing the display adapter refresh rate in the drop down to 75hz from the default 60 and all the games worked at 75 from that point forward.
was there a drastic difference between a standard 60hz monitor like your dell vs the HP Omen running 75hz and FS in games and desktop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back