New HP 24'' IPS - HP DreamColor LP2480zx

http://gizmodo.com/5014879/hp-dreamcolor-lp2480zx-shows-off-its-one--billion-colors

HP is having a big expo in Berlin and this was demonstrated. According to Gizmodo, this is one expensive ass monitor.

The HP DreamColor Display features a new liquid crystal display (LCD) that provides a range of more than 1 billion colors in a 30-bit, LED-backlit display. The display is now shipping worldwide for a U.S. list price of $3,499.(1)

It's cheap in comparison with other color critical monitors. This isn't for the average consumer.

It would be nice if a larger firm would decide to carry highend ips panels in a gamers line, but ips panels are in such short supply more profit is to be had elsewhere. Sad the Economy is such ...but that is how it will be unless a large player sees a way to make a massive profit... and with the weak dollar I doubt that will happen.

Occasionally we will get a new player picking up a few panels, but they will sell out quickly and one has to wonder how well they are doing financially... Gamers tend to be a very discerning lot and therefore likely to return a monitor over any minor imperfection. A little to much backlight bleed, a stuck subpixel...

In the end I just do not see a reasonably priced ips panel coming to the US market, in sufficient volume, until the US dollar gains back some of its value.

Just today I received a PR about the monitor :)
Looks very promising, it is a good omen of IPS returning. Maybe HP will even the top market with this model.
I also appreciate this line in the specifications: "40 cd/m2 minimum and 250 cd/m2 maximum".
I think there are people willing to pay for a high-quality monitor and HP is known to put reasonable prices on its products.

it's amazing after all these sad lcd yrs they finally ramp it up with OLED's entering; @ $1,000 they'd sell like hotcakes.

Why oh why can't they make a 30" monitor like this. There are already so many awesome 24" monitors out there - sure, this will take the crown, but come on, don't neglect the 30"-ers :(

Interesting.
The monitor is clearly oriented to a wealthy part of consumer market (Inputs: at least three digital plus teenagers package; Overdrive). Photo professionals also will benefit from IPS panel with widest color gamut, although the monitor lacks hardware calibration (not mentioned) and its On-Screen Controls list looks much shorter than one on existing pro monitors. Nothing about autobrightness - another must for any well-equipped monitor.
Looks like a universal monitor covering wide spectrum from pro work to everyday use - very similar to what NEC 2490/2690 do.
We don't know what its real panel quality, brightness, contrast ratio and all performances are, but announced black value seems very promising - it looks like for the first time LED BL gives something meaningful to consumers.
If this monitor is able to demonstrate its practical usability, it will represent, despite the price tag, a real apllication for leadership in consumer market where NEC 2490/2690 are still #1.

Why oh why can't they make a 30" monitor like this. There are already so many awesome 24" monitors out there - sure, this will take the crown, but come on, don't neglect the 30"-ers :(

:)So many is just one - 2490.

Don't worry, 30" must follow.

although the monitor lacks hardware calibration (not mentioned) and its On-Screen Controls list looks much shorter than one on existing pro monitors. Nothing about autobrightness - another must for any well-equipped monitor.

The communication between tech staff and marketing does not alway work very well :)

:)So many is just one - 2490.

Good point. And in Europe it is the first 24" IPS. (well, there is also that 24" LG, but it is not known much about it and the quality is not guaranteed)

So the $3500 one is just too poor for you and you are looking for a $5000 monitor? :D

I am wondering how they are claiming a 30bit monitor? With which interface? With which OS? Which graphics card?

It would be nice if a larger firm would decide to carry highend ips panels in a gamers line, but ips panels are in such short supply more profit is to be had elsewhere. Sad the Economy is such ...but that is how it will be unless a large player sees a way to make a massive profit... and with the weak dollar I doubt that will happen.

Yeah, it's weird... used to be very easy to get an S-IPS panel seemingly, I picked up my Dell 2005FPW for $450 shipped back in Q3 2004... I keep thinking a larger monitor might be nice, but I can't find any that would match its quality for anything near reasonable, and we're coming up on nearly FOUR YEARS since I bought it :eek: .

So the $3500 one is just too poor for you and you are looking for a $5000 monitor? :D

I need the workspace space. The problem with wide-screen monitors is that they have less area as opposed to 4:3 monitors. Now pricewise, no definately not looking for the most expensive out there (Planar already has that position with their $10k 30"-er) I just want a no-frills feature rich, excellent image quality monitor with as few defects as possible, and something that doesn't blind me in the process.

I am wondering how they are claiming a 30bit monitor? With which interface? With which OS? Which graphics card?

I know ATI cards ALREADY support for 10-bit color in some its X1{6,9}00+ & FireGL hardware and dual-link DVI connection has the capability as well. I don't know what software does it, but it must exist somewhere.

The problem is that the average person doesn't know that different panel types exist, so all they will see in an IPS panel sitting next to a TN one in a store playing some crappy slideshow is a higher price. So IPS became niche and expensive and stayed that way. An unfortunate fate. Best we can hope for now is OLED to come sooner than later.

The problem is that the average person doesn't know that different panel types exist, so all they will see in an IPS panel sitting next to a TN one in a store playing some crappy slideshow is a higher price. So IPS became niche and expensive and stayed that way. An unfortunate fate. Best we can hope for now is OLED to come sooner than later.

Its worse because the people SELLING the monitors don't even know about the different panel types.

I walked into a CompUSA this past weekend just to have a look around. I wandered into their monitor section when an employee asked if I need assistance. I told him I was seeing what kind of panels the different monitors used (specifically, what panel types CompUSA sells).

The guy had no clue what I was talking about.

When I told him of the three types, TN, VA, and IPS, he immediately directed to their tech support section while admitting that it was over his head (said tech support department was deserted, but thats another complaints altogether). And this is at a CompUSA, and stores thats supposed to specialize in computer hardware.

Oh and it has DisplayPort which also supports 10-bits per channel.

Just because an interface can support it that isn't a enough. The OS/graphics drivers/applications have to support it as well. This seems like one of those thing that they put on the box but you wouldn't actually be able to use in reality.

The ATI cards already have a 10-bit color pipeline in them, so they can render in full 30-bit color. I assume it has to be custom software performing the rendering rather than going through the OS. Given the niche market for video processing progs, I suspect that its certainly possible that they have their own internal versions that will do this.

Well, I don't want to spread rummors, but my well informed friend says, that he is not sure the monitor has an IPS panel. It could be easily PVA from Samsung, because Samsung also produces LED backlight.
Before buying it please wait for first reviews.

Well, I don't want to spread rummors, but my well informed friend says, that he is not sure the monitor has an IPS panel. It could be easily PVA from Samsung, because Samsung also produces LED backlight.
Before buying it please wait for first reviews.

LED IPS based LCD modules arnt suposed to appear until Q4 at the very earliest. Dude you have a point, how can HP be using a panel that isnt even in production.

It says IPS on the HP page. They would have to be pretty crazy to have a panel lotto on a $3500 screen. Not that it really matters to me at this price:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13081_na/13081_na.html
"Panel Type IPS 24-in (60.96-cm) wide-aspect screen"

Yesterday I received HP's press release about the monitor stating the recommended price (for Czechia) which was 1/3 lower then the price on the czech HP page. So much for the quality of the info provided.
The US HP page states the monitor uses "IPS", not "S-IPS", so should be suppose they use an outdated panel technology? :)
I don't say HP is lying, but let's wait for a review :) Maybe some journalists will take a look on the monitor during its "unveiling" and tell us what panel it is :)

Yesterday I received HP's press release about the monitor stating the recommended price (for Czechia) which was 1/3 lower then the price on the czech HP page. So much for the quality of the info provided.
The US HP page states the monitor uses "IPS", not "S-IPS", so should be suppose they use an outdated panel technology? :)
I don't say HP is lying, but let's wait for a review :) Maybe some journalists will take a look on the monitor during its "unveiling" and tell us what panel it is :)

IPS was the first generation, they are no loger in production same with PVA and MVA. The general panel types are still sometimes referered to IPS, PVA, MVA etc...

No availability yet on this though, it could be a quarter before it appears allthough HP are pretty good with thier release's unlike samsung who took 18 months to release the 245T (Cebit 2006?) and that was a POS in the end.

Back