New Home Pre Wire Images

96redformula

2[H]4U
I must say I have been a bit disappointed with the wiring as I personally would never do things so disorganized even through the walls. I didn't get complete shots of everything but here are some pictures. The electric run next to cat 6 runs sure doesn't sound like a good idea, but I can't say I am an expert installer. They thought 3 runs per room was excessive, but I wanted it just in case I want to do video distribution.

Runs:
5 to MC
3 each to bedrooms, outside and garage

Total of 28 Cat 6 runs + Nuvo System which is 4 cat 5 runs
5 Security Camera Setups
Wired Alarm System
RG6 each TV location (7)

Floor Plan
21141905.png

Above the Closet
20111031163954.jpg

Above the Panel
img2374r.jpg

Through the not yet sheet rock roof design
img2375y.jpg

Home Theater Setup in Great Room
Projector Screen
Accent Brick will be dry stack and vertical instead of horizontal
htsetup.png

Last edited:
Nice. I wired a coworkers house for him. His was excessive. 3cat5 & 1 rg6 quad to each room. Plus 27 security camera runs and cat5 to every window and door for security system

Nice. I wired a coworkers house for him. His was excessive. 3cat5 & 1 rg6 quad to each room. Plus 27 security camera runs and cat5 to every window and door for security system

Wow. How big was his house?

5500 sqft or so. It's got 18 inch thick concrete walls. Took him about two years to build ( self contracted) and is perhaps one of the nicest homes in this area. Some of the rarest of rare hardwood floors as well. He bought the inventory of an importer that went out of business in Houston 15 years or so ago and sat on it waiting to build his dream home.

is the drywall up yet ? If not ask them to move that yellow ac wire that is parallel to the cat5 wires to the other stud..

Oh. And for a tip. Take reference pictures of every wall in the house before the drywall goes up

And conduit is nice for where cable tecnnologies may change. And for the media closet. Make sure that you will be able to run additional cable in a pinch if you need too. That may require drilling holes in those top plates now and filling them with caulk that can easily be knocked out

And conduit is nice for where cable technologies may change. And for the media closet. Make sure that you will be able to run additional cable in a pinch if you need too. That may require drilling holes in those top plates now and filling them with caulk that can easily be knocked out

I only ran conduit from the HTPC/Receiver in the great room up to the TV mount and Projector Drop :(. Our budget is so maxed right now....
I figured I can use the Cat 6 cables for anything else I might need in the future via a bauhn.

I had an upgrade cost of $1500 for the security camera runs, extra cat runs, extra bedroom zones, and surround setup in the bedroom.

We have had alot of upgrade costs despite being a custom home w/ a high end builder with large allowances.

I only ran conduit from the HTPC/Receiver in the great room up to the TV mount and Projector Drop :(. Our budget is so maxed right now....
I figured I can use the Cat 6 cables for anything else I might need in the future via a bauhn.

I had an upgrade cost of $1500 for the security camera runs, extra cat runs, extra bedroom zones, and surround setup in the bedroom.

We have had alot of upgrade costs despite being a custom home w/ a high end builder with large allowances.

1500$ that would have bought TONS, i bet that $ went to labour for them to install that messy cable runs :(

1500$ that would have bought TONS, i bet that $ went to labour for them to install that messy cable runs :(

Builder has a contract w/ them not like I had tons of options :(. I do feel better than the AVSforum people that spend 10K plus.

How much does something like that run? I'm looking at both after-market and during the build process. Also, what's rg6 quad? First I've heard of it. That what they call coax these days?

How much does something like that run? I'm looking at both after-market and during the build process. Also, what's rg6 quad? First I've heard of it. That what they call coax these days?

didnt cost him anything....he takes me offshore fishing :)

RG6 Quad = RG6 Quad Shielded Coax

We did his house when it was framed and dried in...so it was no big deal...it was harder to go back and terminate everything and install the faceplates than the actual cabling

Seen a lot better, and seen a lot worse. Some of those holes are darnright sloppy. Using scraps of wire to bundle the cables? I would have put J-hooks or something to keep the wires organized in the closet area. Sigh...

Seen a lot better, and seen a lot worse. Some of those holes are darnright sloppy. Using scraps of wire to bundle the cables? I would have put J-hooks or something to keep the wires organized in the closet area. Sigh...

exactly what i would have done, and also puling 2-3 wires into another type of bundle ? whats with that ? Keep it all in one hole and organized.

Personally, i would have opted out for them 3" deep media panels, they are the most useless thing on the earth. One recptical in the bottom 2 plugs max ? what happens if the plug is a power adapter, POOF that plus is now deamed useless.

Instead i would have bought a shelf like this.

accesspanel.jpg

maybe a deeper one though, that way you can mount all the coax all the cat5, maybe even the switch and dvr.

If that wasn't a option i would have bought one of these.
4RU_hinged_angle__51761_zoom.jpg

I hate those media panels, I enjoy ripping them out and starting over :)
Give me a piece of plywood to mount everything to and I'm happy. Just don't make it look like this:
0719111008.jpg

I hate those media panels, I enjoy ripping them out and starting over :)
Give me a piece of plywood to mount everything to and I'm happy. Just don't make it look like this:

Plywood would be nice too, but the box would make it look all stealth and clean :)

Whats your plan ? you putting u plywood ? How much equipment is going into this closet ?

Like I said before, "I hate those media panels, I enjoy ripping them out and starting over "
I really despise them. Maybe for a small home where nothing is going to change, and you won't have to be working in there. Otherwise they are nothing more than a pain. Try keeping a modem and router from overheating...lol

media panels suck for non leviton gear. the point of them is to use leviton switches, routers, etc. if those are use it is nice.

otherwise you gotta get zip ties into the holes to zip a switch in and stuff. then it gets messy.

Builders love them because they get to sell the labor and overpriced gear, and they look impressive to the un-initiated.

Nice pics. Good luck with the rest of the install after the drywall and painting!

Media panels suck period. Does not matter the brand IMO.
I did a small job for a residential group home. Electrician ran the phone and coax to the garage, I mounted some blocks for the phone lines and that was it. Whenever they decide to get cable, Time Warner can put splitters in.

I am going to put a rack mount above or below the "media panel" :). It will keep the RG6 seperate from the network stuff.

I've made do with the shitty media panel in our condo. Builder just put a 16 port (wtf) phone panel in and cut rj-45 ends onto the (thankfully) cat 5e they ran for phone.

I bought a couple banks I could put keystones into, cut jacks onto the station wires, and ran cable out of the panel and up to a new wall plate I installed above it. Then I put a shelf in above it too. So the router and cable modem go there.

I did shove an 8 port GigE switch into the panel and ran the cord for the wall wart out to a power strip though. It's toasty :p

There is a duplex outlet in it, but it's not surged protected. That and I want my stuff on a UPS for when the power browns out.

96red what are you going to do for cable splitters? I don't bother with panels for the coax because the splitters just get mounted to the wall.

Back