New Home Network

ozz109

n00b
At the minute my home network is rather simple we have just two network cards and crossover cable, Having my laptop in my bedroom and the other computer downstairs which connects to the Internet then shares it to me

But now we have a new computer and i'm not sure what to get to setup the network with the three computers so we still have the network to play games over and share files but also whoever wants to use the Internet can connect then if someone else wants to use the Internet can use the internet from the connection already made, So basicly we don't have to have a computer on all the time to share the connection to the other computers

Also i have to dial-up with my ASDL modem and filter

Anyone understand what i'm saying? :eek:

Originally posted by ozz109
At the minute my home network is rather simple we have just two network cards and crossover cable, Having my laptop in my bedroom and the other computer downstairs which connects to the Internet then shares it to me

But now we have a new computer and i'm not sure what to get to setup the network with the three computers so we still have the network to play games over and share files but also whoever wants to use the Internet can connect then if someone else wants to use the Internet can use the internet from the connection already made, So basicly we don't have to have a computer on all the time to share the connection to the other computers

Also i have to dial-up with my ASDL modem and filter

Anyone understand what i'm saying? :eek:

Get a 4-port switch.

Connect DSL modem to uplink port on switch.

Connect other three computers to remaining 3 ports on switch.

If you'd like to have extra ports for guests, etc, just buy a 5 or 8 port switch instead.

Yeah. I'll continue to pimp the Gigafast 8-port 10/100 switch from Newegg with the $20 MIR, making it about 7 bucks.

Originally posted by Blitzrommel
Yeah. I'll continue to pimp the Gigafast 8-port 10/100 switch from Newegg with the $20 MIR, making it about 7 bucks.

Sounds like a deal. Too bad I don't need any switches right now.

Thanks for the help, What cable will i need to connect the comps to the switch?

Patch cables will work just fine; get them at the distance you'd prefer. You can get these just about anywhere.

Back