New Home Network Build + NAS

next-Jin

Supreme [H]ardness
I am about to close on a new home near Colorado Springs, CO. It has been prewired with Cat5e to every room + kitchen with the runs ending in the basement. All they did was use a standard On-Q/Legrand modular enclosure which I won't be using.

Basically what I am looking for is:

Wall mounted rack mount
6+ HD removable server case
Router
12+ port switch (with PoE)
12+ port patch panel
UPS
SB6183 shelf of some variety

I will be using UBNT APs (2-3) so I need PoE capability. I want to try and make everything the same brand, Ubiquity would be awesome the problem is I do not believe they make something I am looking for other than the ToughSwitch which I do not think is rack mountable outside of using a makeshift mount that you can place 2 in. I would like a standard 19" 1U switch 12+, 19" router, etc all from the same brand. Seeing as how everyone praises UBNT APs I would love to stay with that company.

Configuration isn't an issue, I'm just being overly anal about looks, design, and cleanliness. If I could get a cable modem that wasn't ancient that I could rack mount I would.

I would like to stay away from this: http://lifehacker.com/400093/diy-pegboard-home-network-wall

And work on something more professional like:http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/detail-page/lg/B003X117WO.pt02-large.jpg

Server case, get whatever makes you feel happy, personally i like the ones made by supermicro

Router:
Ubiquiti Networks - EdgeRouter™ Lite

Rack mount for edgerouter/toughtswitch:
WaveGuard WG-UB-RM1 – Indoor enclosures – ISP Supplies

if you dont like the bracket, simply buy the bigger router with 8 ports it's 19" rack mountable std.

for the switch what about a Edgeswitch with POE:
Ubiquiti Networks - EdgeSwitch™

Personally i use a Zyxel Zyxel GS1910-24 but considering buying a Ubnt Edgeswitch Lite Ubiquiti Networks - EdgeSwitch™ Lite

I will be moving to csprings shortly.

I saw battery backup but not dedicated breaker, just an idea.

Rackmount gear is generally loud, find a sepetate area if possible. I just use shelving. Are you wanting a shallow wall rack this secure/enclose, or?

I have an ERL, going back to pf after I move, nothing bad on ERL I want of features/maturity.

I am about to close on a new home near Colorado Springs, CO. It has been prewired with Cat5e to every room + kitchen with the runs ending in the basement. All they did was use a standard On-Q/Legrand modular enclosure which I won't be using.

Basically what I am looking for is:

Wall mounted rack mount
6+ HD removable server case
Router
12+ port switch (with PoE)
12+ port patch panel
UPS
SB6183 shelf of some variety

I will be using UBNT APs (2-3) so I need PoE capability. I want to try and make everything the same brand, Ubiquity would be awesome the problem is I do not believe they make something I am looking for other than the ToughSwitch which I do not think is rack mountable outside of using a makeshift mount that you can place 2 in. I would like a standard 19" 1U switch 12+, 19" router, etc all from the same brand. Seeing as how everyone praises UBNT APs I would love to stay with that company.

Configuration isn't an issue, I'm just being overly anal about looks, design, and cleanliness. If I could get a cable modem that wasn't ancient that I could rack mount I would.

I would like to stay away from this: http://lifehacker.com/400093/diy-pegboard-home-network-wall

And work on something more professional like:http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/electronics/detail-page/lg/B003X117WO.pt02-large.jpg

you want something that's almost identical to a network i just put together...

Navepoint 12U Wallmount Networking Cabinet 600mm Depth with Fans and Shelves

here's how i filled it up
  1. 24 port monoprice cat6 patch panel Cat6 Patch Panel 110 Type 24 Port (568A/B Compatible) - Monoprice.com
  2. 1U brush slot Search Results (link is dead... must not carry these anymore, that's a shame)
  3. 24 port ubiquiti edgeswitch Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch 250W Managed PoE Gigabit Switch (ES-24-250W)
  4. blank panel
  5. blank panel
  6. blank panel
  7. blank panel (i used a 4U blank) /shelf (on the shelf is a velcro'd ubiquiti mPower Pro Ubiquiti mFi Power Controller w Wifi Connectivity 8-port - US Version)
  8. surveillance server (8 drive case, kinda like you want with your NAS) iStarUSA D-380HB Black Aluminum 3U Rackmount Compact 8x 3.5" Bay Hotswap microATX Chassis - Newegg.com
  9. surveillance server
  10. surveillance server
  11. APC UPS (Amazon.com: APC Smart-UPS RM SMT1000RM2U 700W/1000VA 120V 2U Rackmount LCD UPS System: Electronics)
  12. APC UPS
My thoughts on the case.... although it fits well once you get a right angle power cord, it's WAYYY overpriced... i would look for something else... i usually stick to supermicro cases because of quality problems with norco/istar/habey cases, but since none of them fit that could get me 8 drive bays, i ended up with that istar) i'm still using it, but it should really be half that price...

EDIT: actually i think i got the 500w switch, but i'm too lazy to go change the link, you get the idea...​

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Out of interest why are you guys recommending the Edgeswitch over the unifi switch? I went for the unifi switch, not that there appears to be much difference...

Out of interest why are you guys recommending the Edgeswitch over the unifi switch? I went for the unifi switch, not that there appears to be much difference...
unifi switch is the SDN-ized version and has a much more limiting firmware

next-Jin
I would recommend Zyxel GS19**-series over the Edgeswitch/Unifiswitch but keep in mind that depending on which APs you're getting they may not follow standard PoE.
FWIW, I've seen ppl been leaning towards Mikrotik APs due to issues with current models from UBNT.
Regarding UPS, Eaton/Powerware are usually quite a bit cheaper than APC and works just as good if not even better. They're supported using NUT so nothing to worry about.

As for switch, I'd go for OpenWRT over Edgerouter but if you want more features pf/opnsense but that's usually a "waste"/overkill on a home network. Since you're going for a server of some kind just make it do statistics and whatnot.

next-Jin
I would recommend Zyxel GS19**-series over the Edgeswitch/Unifiswitch but keep in mind that depending on which APs you're getting they may not follow standard PoE.
FWIW, I've seen ppl been leaning towards Mikrotik APs due to issues with current models from UBNT.
Regarding UPS, Eaton/Powerware are usually quite a bit cheaper than APC and works just as good if not even better. They're supported using NUT so nothing to worry about.

As for switch, I'd go for OpenWRT over Edgerouter but if you want more features pf/opnsense but that's usually a "waste"/overkill on a home network. Since you're going for a server of some kind just make it do statistics and whatnot.
diizzy, what's a good, cheap rackmount openwrt router?

You're going to have a hard time to find a "cheap" and rackmounted router/gateway. Your best bet would be a used appliance running x86 but that's honestly waste running OpenWRT. In general you'd be better off running a full distro and/or opn/pfsense but that's very inefficient if you're looking for a firewall/gateway for "normal" home and/or SMB usage. You have the Watchguard Fireboxes and similar devices but getting a 6y+ device isn't very tempting at least to me not to mention the noise and power efficiency.

If you're going to a more cost effective way in that regard I'd say grab 1u tray.
Middle Atlantic UTR1 - 1U Rackshelf for Mounting Half- and UTR1

Velcro "tape"
Amazon.com: Strenco 2" Self Adhesive Hook and Loop 5 feet Sticky Back Tape Fabric Fastener

Stick whatever you'd like on the tray (preferably the back facing forward).

You have a few Mikrotik boards that have a rack cases but they're quite expensive having the hardware in mind but I guess that's the closest you'd get.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back