New Home Cinema/HIFI system Newb

mmarsh

Limp Gawd
Hello AV guru's, I need abit of help.

1. I am a total Newb at this, I know absolutely zilch. So feel free to talk to me like I am stupid...I am that stupid.

2. I have new large screen Samsung 55" TV and a Blu-Ray Player and a Xbox. I have absolutely no Audio Equipment. No Home Cinema, Speakers, Amp, etc... All sound comes from he TV.

3. I have two needs. I want to listen to blu-rays/TV/Xbox and also have a good system that I can put in a CD or hook up my Iphone and other MP3 players for music. Basically I want one unit that can do both.

I have no idea what I need in terms of equipment. Whether its a HI-FI system or a home Cinema system.

Also what brands are good? I know of Denon and thats about it.

I don't want to spend a ton of money as this is my first set, so lets say medium range/best price/performace catagory.

Can you offer any help?

Thanks

Last edited:
It really depends on what you want. Is 5.1 surround good enough or do you want 7.1? Do you want a receiver with networking to stream stuff like Pandora? Do you need it to play in 2 different zones? I got a deal on a Denon 2112 and I love it but it may be overkill for you and the price has gone up. Onkyo makes some good entry/midrange stuff like their 609. With just about any newer receiver, you can plug in your ipod and cd player for your music as well so that wouldn't be a problem. If you want your system to sound good, aside from good speakers, you would want to look for a system that has some sort of room correction. It sounds like you are looking for something more entry level, I would take a look at the Denon 1612,,1513 or the Onkyo sr313. All of those should be well under $300 bucks and will do the basics of what you want to do.

Back