New HL2 shots

nst6563 said:
easily...they're both games. If one was a game and the other was part of MS Office, I'd agree that they can't be compared.

That's almost like saying you can't compare a Ferrari to a Lamborghini because they're not the same... :p

your analogy lacks any sort of relevance.

both games are geared towards different perspectives
i thought this topic has been beat to death already?

Im impressed because i didnt realize i was seeing some real pics interspersed with HL2 screens... amazing

SYN ACK said:
your analogy lacks any sort of relevance.

both games are geared towards different perspectives
i thought this topic has been beat to death already?

I think his analogy is very clear and has great relevance to your obvious prejudice comment.

I don't know what the story-line/gameplay is going to be like in HL2, but it would not at all be unfair to compare the gameplay of Doom 3 to the original Half Life. The story lines are extremely similar: Both start with your character arriving at a top-secret and remote research base, which is doing testing on dubious weapons technology. Both feature shadowy, unscrupulous men running the show in the background. In both research facilites, the testing of the latest tech indicates that disaster is imminent, with power outages, strange rumours etc. and then both projects catastrophically malfunction, creating rifts in space-time and transporting demons/monsters/aliens into the base. Then it's up to you to clean up the mess. The same creepy atmosphere persists, with monsters suddenly teleporting in, crawling through air ducts, etc. and they both even have the base staff members turned into zombies! Then there is there part where you teleport to the demons/aliens own dimension to fight them on their own turf. Does anybody else see these striking similarities? Doom 3, although great in the graphics dept., just seems to me to be a big rehash of the HL story.

turdferguson79 said:
I don't know what the story-line/gameplay is going to be like in HL2, but it would not at all be unfair to compare the gameplay of Doom 3 to the original Half Life. The story lines are extremely similar: Both start with your character arriving at a top-secret and remote research base, which is doing testing on dubious weapons technology. Both feature shadowy, unscrupulous men running the show in the background. In both research facilites, the testing of the latest tech indicates that disaster is imminent, with power outages, strange rumours etc. and then both projects catastrophically malfunction, creating rifts in space-time and transporting demons/monsters/aliens into the base. Then it's up to you to clean up the mess. The same creepy atmosphere persists, with monsters suddenly teleporting in, crawling through air ducts, etc. and they both even have the base staff members turned into zombies! Then there is there part where you teleport to the demons/aliens own dimension to fight them on their own turf. Does anybody else see these striking similarities? Doom 3, although great in the graphics dept., just seems to me to be a big rehash of the HL story.

You know, I think there was already a thread about this. I completely agree. Half-Life and Doom 3 are very similar. One had Zen one had Hell. One hand black Mesa, one had UAC. Doom 3 even had a monrail just like Half-life. Come on ID, dont be so blatant about your copycating. (is that a word?)

ReconSniper said:
You know, I think there was already a thread about this. I completely agree. Half-Life and Doom 3 are very similar. One had Zen one had Hell. One hand black Mesa, one had UAC. Doom 3 even had a monrail just like Half-life. Come on ID, dont be so blatant about your copycating. (is that a word?)
There was a thread? I must have missed it. I had been meaning to post this observation for a while, but I was waiting around to see if anybody else had noticed this too. It's funny that you should remind about the monorail bit, cause that is where I'm at right now in Doom3, and when I first came across it, I had to groan to myself, "You've done it again, id!"

turdferguson79 said:
There was a thread? I must have missed it. I had been meaning to post this observation for a while, but I was waiting around to see if anybody else had noticed this too. It's funny that you should remind about the monorail bit, cause that is where I'm at right now in Doom3, and when I first came across it, I had to groan to myself, "You've done it again, id!"

Yeah. No matter what anyone says, nothing will convince me that ID didnt copy the storyline of HL. (im waiting a few minutes for some serious flaming, at least Im not alone, turd believes me.)

Uhhh.. Doom3 is based off of Doom1/2's story, not Half-Life.

And if you think about it, the original Doom was the first to have monsters spawning in all over the place, zombie ex-colleagues, and that trip to the other dimension, not Half-Life =)

I'm not really concerned with who copied who, rather, that Doom3 is very uninventive with it's story-line. Too be honest, having finished Doom 1 & 2 back in the day, I honestly had no idea what the story was, other than "Demons have attacked Mars: Kill everything." Pretty much the only place you could find a story those days was in the manual, and that's largely where it ended. Half-Life was very different (and not necessarily the first to do this) but it developed it's story entirely within the actual action of the game, and you witnessed all the events you had previously only read about. Doom3 follows this same tact, only it doesn't bother to use a fresh story (again, regardless of who it's copying).

ReconSniper said:
Yeah. No matter what anyone says, nothing will convince me that ID didnt copy the storyline of HL. (im waiting a few minutes for some serious flaming, at least Im not alone, turd believes me.)

I agree, well sort of. I don't think that ID stole the story line, cause its the same basic story as the old dooms. But. I do think they copied the way HL told the story. They story line plays out in a very similar fashion.

I'm wondering if they will make a counter-strike mod for HL2 cause i love c-s. It would kinda be cool to see a c-s with good graphics.

I think D3 is pretty an A-typical id game, engine is sweet, gameplay/story nothing new. HL2 hopefully will break new ground in these departments, and maybe play pretty well on midrange systems , something else id has never aspired to do. and to paintballaxxx , you are so stupid i hope your doing it on purpose. :rolleyes:

Either way, I don't care if you compare them like "Apples and Oranges".

HL2 is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more fun to play then D3. That's a fact. It will totally blow D3 away. Single-player and Multiplayer (no shit?). And Yes, I've played both.

Also don't flame me for telling facts! ;D

7718 said:
maybe play pretty well on midrange systems , something else id has never aspired to do.

You obviously didn't reed Hardocp's hardware guide. The game runs and looks really well on mediorce systems.

Luxor said:

HL2 is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more fun to play then D3. That's a fact. It will totally blow D3 away. Single-player and Multiplayer (no shit?). And Yes, I've played both.

You fail to realize the fact that what is fun for you and what "blows you away" isn't necessarily what other people feel.

You do realize your opinion isn't "FACT" as you so call it.

Ummm, hello?

Luxor said:

do you know what a fact is :rolleyes:

Luxor said:

Thats all opinion. And you're judging HL2 by the beta :rolleyes: Do you even know what fact is?

PsychoZX said:
You obviously didn't reed Hardocp's hardware guide. The game runs and looks really well on mediorce systems.

Have you played it at 640x480? or 800x600?? Personally, I thought it looked like jagged hairy ass at those resolutions. But then again...don't mistake my opinion for fact...

ReconSniper said:

And I kept on thinking Half Life was a blatant doom rip.

UAC = Black Mesa, experiment gone wrong, Demons = Aliens. The reason D3 is similar to HL is because HL is similar to Doom1. :rolleyes:

I wasn't lookin forward to HL that much, but after seein the pics, I can't wait!!! This game may be the reason I get a 6800 :)

The Batman said:
And I kept on thinking Half Life was a blatant doom rip.

UAC = Black Mesa, experiment gone wrong, Demons = Aliens. The reason D3 is similar to HL is because HL is similar to Doom1. :rolleyes:

well doom 1 didn't have the 4 things that are in common with HL's gameplay as doom3 did.

1. the safe ride to your destination
2. the assignment, going through a peaceful zone
3. something goes wrong, go back through the same zone that was once peaceful, now its all messed up.
4. eventually make it to the ENEMY's world

not to mention similar small things like GMAN/counselor swan, as you're going along in your quest, you are 1 step behind them, they are behind glass or something as they leave.

OR, a scene where there is an open vent and gibs come out, classic moment in HL, and it happens in doom3.

so yes doom3 did borrow some ideas from HL's gameplay, but i for one dont really care, doom3 is still a good game in and of itself.

doh-nut said:
well doom 1 didn't have the 4 things that are in common with HL's gameplay as doom3 did.

3. something goes wrong, go back through the same zone that was once peaceful, now its all messed up.

not to mention similar small things like GMAN/counselor swan, as you're going along in your quest, you are 1 step behind them, they are behind glass or something as they leave.

OR, a scene where there is an open vent and gibs come out, classic moment in HL, and it happens in doom3.

so yes doom3 did borrow some ideas from HL's gameplay, but i for one dont really care, doom3 is still a good game in and of itself.

It told you what happened in the Doom 1 manual :eek: Keep in mind this game was made in 93 :rolleyes:

nst6563 said:
Have you played it at 640x480? or 800x600?? Personally, I thought it looked like jagged hairy ass at those resolutions. But then again...don't mistake my opinion for fact...

lmao! :D :D :D :D

oh come on id def borrowed that monorail part from hl, its weird through out playing d3 i just keep on getting hl flash backs, but the environment is totaly different so its all cool

also how come amazon now has hl2 release date as november?

Circuitbreaker8 said:
It told you what happened in the Doom 1 manual :eek: Keep in mind this game was made in 93 :rolleyes:

did the manual report those 4 events. if so, then you can roll your eyes at me

doh-nut said:
did the manual report those 4 events. if so, then you can roll your eyes at me

- Doom (like most first person shooters up untill Quake2) started you right off the bat into the action, yes. Stories weren't as integrated or important back then. But ever since Unreal, practically all adventure first person shooters like this have started off with an actionless "peacetime" segment that's used to introduce the story or build tension. Doom3's "peacetime" beginning is actually very distinct from Half-Life's if you ask me.

- While it's a pretty general idea, I admit with this you have a point here.

- At the end of the second act in Doom you go through a teleporter and get surrounded by imps, you die, and then you go to hell to fight the baddies in the third act.

so apart from #3, he can roll his eyes at you =)

xdviper said:
where can i get the orginal 1993 doom?? i want to play it

You can hunt down and find the Doom Collector's Edition. It's got Doom1 [plus episode 4], Doom2, and 2 other episodes [forgot their names].

Oh and before I forget.

:rolleyes: :p

Lloyd++ said:
- Doom (like most first person shooters up untill Quake2) started you right off the bat into the action, yes. Stories weren't as integrated or important back then. But ever since Unreal, practically all adventure first person shooters like this have started off with an actionless "peacetime" segment that's used to introduce the story or build tension. Doom3's "peacetime" beginning is actually very distinct from Half-Life's if you ask me.

- While it's a pretty general idea, I admit with this you have a point here.

- At the end of the second act in Doom you go through a teleporter and get surrounded by imps, you die, and then you go to hell to fight the baddies in the third act.

so apart from #3, he can roll his eyes at you =)

yes but did the doom 1 manual report all 4 events, is what id like to know. i can't find the story anywehre googling. regardless, halflife was the first to have these 4 steps introduced in gameplay, and its pretty apparent that iD used it as a basis.

The Batman said:
You can hunt down and find the Doom Collector's Edition. It's got Doom1 [plus episode 4], Doom2, and 2 other episodes [forgot their names].

Oh and before I forget.

:rolleyes: :p

yeah, 10 at walmart

doh-nut said:
yes but did the doom 1 manual report all 4 events, is what id like to know. i can't find the story anywehre googling. regardless, halflife was the first to have these 4 steps introduced in gameplay, and its pretty apparent that iD used it as a basis.

This isn't about 'originality in game', it's originality in concept. And D1 beat HL1 to the concept by 5 years.

The Batman said:
This isn't about 'originality in game', it's originality in concept. And D1 beat HL1 to the concept by 5 years.

yea it did beat it to the concept, i know this. but im talking about gameplay style.

doh-nut said:
yea it did beat it to the concept, i know this. but im talking about gameplay style.
Er...
You gotta be joking.
If you're trying to convince us that Doom3 is a rip-off from HL, well... forget it.
They do have similar stuff, but the gameplay is totally different...
Just because the original Doom didn't have the opening story in the gameplay doens't mean it didn't have it. Have you read it? Go on and check it out, see for yourself.
No, it's not been recently edited, it's always been like that.
So, no matter what, experiments going wrong and such stuff happen in Doom first, not HL.
Yet, no-one called HL a rip-off. Neither should you do it with Doom3... even though it's Doom1 remade :p

I hope they make like a mission pack or ad-on to doom3 that adds the doom 2 story.

I'm starting to wonder if this guy even played Doom2 at all??????

But comon now, seriously. There is no use continuing to argue this.
Sure there may be some similarities, but then again, you can always say half life took it's ideas from some action or sci fi movies, right???

Back in doom's time, there wasn't the need or "power" for storyline. The storyline was in the manual....

Actually putting a storyline in a game had not been developed yet as the whole genre was still being born. HL did particularly change this, by including their storyline in the game. But that doesn't mean that every little thing (that is basically a GIVEN now, with or without the help of HL1) has to be related back to HL. There are only so many ideas out there, and they are going to start looking similiar whether one person has ever even heard of HL1 or not.

Go back and play HL1 again.

See if your expectations are just as high or not.....because I'm starting to wonder whether it's the real gameplay talking, or just the nostolgia ;) :)

antonanton said:
oh come on id def borrowed that monorail part from hl, its weird through out playing d3 i just keep on getting hl flash backs, but the environment is totaly different so its all cool

I don't think D3 in any way ripped off HL's storyline, but I did think there were little nods to HL along the way. After all, HL was a revolutionary FPS title. Can you blame the people who created the FPS for giving props to the people who revolutionized it?

The most obvious nod was the freight elevator right near the end of D3. The only thing missing was the falling headcrabs.

all this talk of doom 1 makes me wanna go install it. (rummages through old CDs)

I miss the old sounds especially. all of the new doom sounds just dont touch a nerve like the old ones did. the chaingun, the monsters spawning in...the tearing and screaming sounds...i miss old doom!

Back