New HGST He10 not appearing

bogchop

n00b
Hi all,

Recently purchased some 10TB HGST drives, He10's for my Norco 4224 build. These drives are HUH721010ALE604's. Got them for about $280AUD each, which is dirt cheap by the usual $530-600AUD standard! :)

They work fine plugged into a USB caddy, but when I connect them to my Norco's backplane, they do not appear in Computer/Disk Management (running WHS2011).

Got a HP SAS / LSI 9211-8i arrangement happening, and this is the first time I've experienced a drive not appearing. I've tried updating the firmware/bios on the LSI card, but no dice.

I've done a bit of reading on these enterprise drives, and apparently the new power-disable feature *could* be the cause. The workaround is to use a SATA to molex adapter which disable's this. Thing is, the backplanes in the Norco are connected via Molex, so not sure what to think.

Anyone have any insight?

Cheers,
bc.

Not entirely sure about the HP SAS Expander's model, but I believe its the most commonly used one here (where i got the idea from!).

The LSI Controller... documentation is sparse as the Broadcom site is stuffed. Here's the kicker. Checking the HGST site, it says the He12 drives work on the 9211-8i, but for the He10 the 9211-8i isn't listed under the compatibility doc. Is that not strange? :(

I bought one and returned it because of the power "feature"
they sell same drive but without that power disable thing see if you can return your drives and buy the others.

bogchop --- What happens when you plug the drive directly into the card bypassing the backplane on the 4224?

I doubt the 8's are supported on the LSI and not the 10's. I'd venture to guess that LSI just hasn't updated their documentation.

~RF

Is it possible the back plane or hba doesn't support 512e drives? Have you tried just 1 drive?

This is likely because that HGST model supports the new SATA 3.3 spec for Power Disable:

"The “Power Disable” feature is a new industry standard feature defined for both SATA and SAS devices. This new feature allows the host system to perform a hard reset to the hard drive (HDD). The new feature can be found on newer SAS Ultrastar® HDDs (beginning with Ultrastar He8 and 7K6000), and now the feature is optionally available on Ultrastar SATA HDDs starting with the Ultrastar He10."​

It's an easy fix, but might be hard to implement. Alternatively, you could look at buying a new power supply:

"There is a simple fix if you find yourself in a situation where an Ultrastar SATA HDD is not spinning up. By using a simple “Molex to SATA” power connector (Figure 1) to supply power to the HDD, you can usually eliminate the problem. Changing the power connector effectively removes power from P3 (Pin 3) and allows the drive to spin up normally."​

HGST LINK: https://www.hgst.com/sites/default/files/resources/HGST-Power-Disable-Pin-TB.pdf

Not going to be able to do that with a backplane that's providing power. You can try isolating the pin with nail polish or something non-conductive, like a non-conductive paint and if you ever need to remove it, just use nail polish remover. Other option is to contact Norco and see if they have updated backplanes. Anything that they're advertising as supporting 12G SAS should support it correctly.

Back