New headphones, so many choices...

enlightenedby42

Supreme [H]ardness
A few months ago, I decided I wanted some high end headphones. I previously considered it unthinkable to ever use earbuds/IEM's, and after a good bit of research and shopping narrowed it down to the Sennheiser HD595's.

Christmas comes, and my girl got me a nice new iPod Nano and some Sony MDR-EX71's. At first I found them awful and uncomfortable, but after some hours of use I got used to the feel, and could very much see myself using higher end IEM's on a regular basis. So, more compulsive head-fi'ing, and I've narrowed IEM choices down to the Shure E4 or UE Super.fi 5 pro (leaning toward the shures)

So, anybody in a similar situation pulled the trigger on any of these? I never thought I'd say this, but I'm leaning towards high end IEM's for the portability factor as a new iPod owner. Are the E4's a worthy investment over some $100 IEM's like the E3's? In the $200ish price range are the E4's the best choice? I am willing to spend the money if its truly worth it, but can't go much over $200 or 250.

Also, will be used unamped with an ipod and various computers, at least at first. emphasis on music, mostly rock. Thanks for any input.

The Superfi 5pro sounds better than the E4 unamped. Amped, it's a matter of taste, and I prefer the E4. The E4 straight out of the iPod is lacking a bit of bass. Both sound quite a bit better than the E3's. In the lower price range, the Superfi 3 sounds a lot better than the E3, in most regards. The main thing you give up going from the SF5 to the SF3 is a bit of bass punch and treble extension.

if you can stretch your budget a little, you shoudl take a look at the westone um2's.

Back