New Headphone Burn In

I posted a video about burn in by Dave Rat so why would you say the above. I said it is a small measurable difference but the audio difference is negligible. I have beyerdynamic DT990 and have had them for over five years and they sound the same to me today as the day I bought them. They only sound harsh when the music is harsh, people say they are sibilant headphones, no, the sibilance is already in the music and the headphones reveal that and many other headphones do not.

I've never used the 990's but I've read that their sibilance is similar as on my DT770 Pro's, and as I have mentioned before found the 770's very harsh when brand new, two times in a row now, but that this subsides after a few weeks of use.

Everyone's hearing is slightly different, which complicates things. Maybe you aren't as sensitive to high pitch sounds as some others?

I've never used the 990's but I've read that their sibilance is similar as on my DT770 Pro's, and as I have mentioned before found the 770's very harsh when brand new, two times in a row now, but that this subsides after a few weeks of use.

Everyone's hearing is slightly different, which complicates things. Maybe you aren't as sensitive to high pitch sounds as some others?

I'm sensitive to it and is why I rarely use DT990, most of the time I use Senn HD558, but I have other headphones here too and if I want neutral I use my Shure 840s. Maybe there is a little change but it was not enough to make me notice it.

That Dave Rat is an audio professional and he knows his stuff, his conclusion is the same as what I am saying.

They are not headphones, but even the Alex Jones center channel speaker I almost RMA'd became a lot better after about 50-60 hours of burn in.

Not the fanciest center speaker in the world, but I like it and it sounds good now. It's actually very yugggge. :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117404

I think I bought it for $99 bucks at the time.

I've never heard the new Alex Jones ELAC speakers, but they seem to get some pretty high ratings as sound vs price, he migrated there from Pioneer.

Sorry, nuff off topic from headphones.

Last edited:
They are not headphones, but even the Alex Jones center channel speaker I almost RMA'd became a lot better after about 50-60 hours of burn in.

Not the fanciest center speaker in the world, but I like it and it sounds good now. It's actually very yugggge. :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117404

I think I bought it for $99 bucks at the time.

I've never heard the new Alex Jones EVAC speakers, but they seem to get some pretty high ratings as sound vs price, he migrated there from Pioneer.

Sorry, nuff off topic from headphones.

You mean ELAC not EVAC :)

I'm sensitive to it and is why I rarely use DT990, most of the time I use Senn HD558, but I have other headphones here too and if I want neutral I use my Shure 840s. Maybe there is a little change but it was not enough to make me notice it.

That Dave Rat is an audio professional and he knows his stuff, his conclusion is the same as what I am saying.

Dave Rat looks like a fake audio professional to me, I had a spectrum analyzer in the 70's when they were a big deal.

Dave Rat looks like a fake audio professional to me, I had a spectrum analyzer in the 70's when they were a big deal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Rat
Dave Rat (born 1962 as David Levine) is the founder of Rat Sound Systems Inc. and Sound Tools LLC, a sound system designer, sound consultant and live sound engineer for many well-known artists such as the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nirvana, Rage Against the Machine, The Offspring, and Blink 182.

As you were saying?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Rat
Dave Rat (born 1962 as David Levine) is the founder of Rat Sound Systems Inc. and Sound Tools LLC, a sound system designer, sound consultant and live sound engineer for many well-known artists such as the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nirvana, Rage Against the Machine, The Offspring, and Blink 182.

As you were saying?

He's a sound engineer, not a headphone or speaker designer/manufacturer. You can see that he had no clue on what he was doing when he was using a crude spectrum analyzer instead of doing professional measurements which in addition to having a far higher resolution response measurement include the distortion spectrum, decay, pulse response and impedance behaviour.

Back