New Hard Drive is slow?

gaer42

Limp Gawd
I just upgraded my Mac. I added a 500 gig SATA drive and 2 gigs of ram. I took all my video files (I am a film maker) and put them on the 2nd drive while keeping all my programs on my main drive. For some reason when I edit with FCP now I get some lag where there was little to none before... and I have noticed that there is a bit of a delay accessing the 2nd drive (almost as if it is recognizing it newly every time i access it... think of putting a cd in and the drive having to spin and be read before it shows you what is on the disk).

My question is, does this sound like a bad drive? or are there some settings that I most likely mave set wrong?

No... where would I find drive spindown?

And will that fix the lag in the editing?... I was under the impression that with 8 gigs of ram there should be no lag in editing...

Energy Saver preference: "Put Hard Drives to sleep whenever possible"

You might want to download Xbench and run the disk read/write tests on both your original and new HDs for comparison purposes.

I unchecked the "Put Hard Drives to sleep whenever possible" and so far have not had the problem... but I did not put much stress on the system... since I only watched a DVD... and that does not require HD use. I will be doing some editing on Sunday... and I will download the XBENCH tonight and test out the HD.

Back