New Half-Life2 screens

Very nice... I can't wait for the HL2... Stalker also.

However I'm all about D3 right now.. playing it and waiting for coop mods to come out.

damn thats going to be sweet

outdoor enviroments? its as if its not doom3 or something. people are going to be all over how a different style kicks doom3's ass

What strikes me is the scale of these pictures...the environments all seem to be massive.

Hopefully it'll be released as soon as they're hinting.

HL2 has MASSIVE indoor and outdoor style gameplay with LOADS of interactivity. Doom 3's graphics are far better though.

Both games are GREAT games. People barking on threads about this and that about Doom 3, have nothing better to do with their free time. The game is AWESOME, I guess with all the hype people were expecting a GODLY game... which is almost impossible.

I will own both titles. But HL2 will in no means kick Doom 3's ass... not in any form. They are 2 different games, you can't compare apples to oranges.

ie.. You could compare Juiced to NFS:Underground. Same style game, one will be better then the other.

Doom 3 and Half 2 aren't even trying to accomplish the same thing, even same gameplay and graphics. Again.. apples to oranges. People will attempt to argue this.. but their efforts are wasted... you just can't.

Doom 3 will probably have better graphics, but I can't wait to see is the physics engine. That is going to be revolutionary. Just from watching the E3 moives I really excited to try it out.

theNoid said:
Doom 3 and Half 2 aren't even trying to accomplish the same thing, even same gameplay and graphics. Again.. apples to oranges. People will attempt to argue this.. but their efforts are wasted... you just can't.

Amen. I don't see why so many people are hellbent on one of these titles being better than the other. They both look great.

I also don't understand why so many people seem to be saying that HL2's graphics are already behind the times. The look great to me. At the same time, the gameplay for HL2 will probably be more import than the graphics.

Looks great except: can ANYONE make a nice looking bush or grass? They all look like the same 2d sprites that have been in use for millions of years. Maybe it just takes too much 3d power to render a bush. Hehe, that sounded odd.

Edit: No I take it back. The mother nature scene from 3dmark03 looks pretty damn good. What's wrong with seeing that in a game?

I am looking forward to some crow bar action with good graphics and an interactive world, I also hope the speech engine has improved, nothing like hosting a cs server and running remote commands on clients and make the HL guy say have a bad ass day please die now...

also, Doom3 is exactly what Doom1 is....run and gun. I guess I shouldn't expect more out of doom3, but the game is just doom1 with fresh graphics...even all the monsters are the same. I didn't expect that.....

Doom 3 IMO is amazing. I think HL2 will be a deeper game as far as MODs go.. so its reply value will be a bit more.

Either way, I've always been a Doom fan and I'm proud of what iD did with Doom 3. After I'm done with it and beating it 3-4 times on different difficulties... then I'll think about HL2 :)

I hope this game does good, cuz its nothing great in terms of graphics after seeing games like UT2k4,Far Cry, and now Doom 3.

The Batman said:
The second one is using id's "can't see shit" technology, that's why it looks so good. ;)

You make me giggle...

But correct, D3 And Hl2 cannot be compared, both will excel in their designated areas.

The gameplay and physics is what makes me think HL2 is a better game. Graphics are pretty damn good on my computer (which is what matters, since most people can't run HIGH settings on thier computers anyhow, so quit bitching about graphics in a damn picture).

Don't say it sucks until you have played it. HL2 is much, much more complex then doom 3 by the way. IMHO the gameplay blows Doom 3 out of the water.

Here we go ... people trying to compare apples to oranges.

Don't you understand they are 2 different types of games ? ... jeez ... stop trying to compare the 2.

I agree.. but people saying the graphics suck. I bet they can't even run Doom 3 on High settings to make it look better than those pictures. Asshats.

It's like comparing UT to HL.

theNoid said:

More accurately, comparing a released game to an unreleased game.

the@ntipop said:
Looks great except: can ANYONE make a nice looking bush or grass? They all look like the same 2d sprites that have been in use for millions of years. Maybe it just takes too much 3d power to render a bush. Hehe, that sounded odd.

Edit: No I take it back. The mother nature scene from 3dmark03 looks pretty damn good. What's wrong with seeing that in a game?

I thought FarCry did a reasonably decent job of it. I think it was better than most I've seen.

MrDearthian

Don't you understand they are 2 different types of games ? ... jeez ... stop trying to compare the 2.

You're the one that opened up this can of worms, so live with it :rolleyes:

Doom III has reaffirmed my long-established opinion that graphics just don't make a game. If Half Life 2 has some semblance of interactivity in reference to the environments (Which is more than can be said about D3), I will be happy. We can already tell that there are various locales and environments (Which already puts it a step above D3, IMO...), and the graphics are great despite not being bleeding edge.

If Half Life 2 doesn't deliver, there is always Halo 2 (And if you're not blinded by loyalties to the PC, you know it's going to kick ass). The environments are stunning, the graphics are excellent (Yet again, not bleeding edge but they're great), the geometry is destructible, the AI is advanced...and from what I've heard, the narrative isn't going to be too shabby either ;)

very nice screenies. thanks a million. that game looks like its gonna be a lot of fun. i can't wait to see if everything is as interactive as it appeared to be in the trapertown demo.

I guess I may have opened it up .. ack! I honestly am waiting for HL2 just like everyone else.. I hope it just owns it up!

where the hell does valve get their artists from?

HL2-antlions2wwrwer.jpg

wtf is that? at least put SOME detail into these things

TheGeneral said:
where the hell does valve get their artists from?

wtf is that? at least put SOME detail into these things

maybe cause its a beta. anyway, what will you be looking at...the aliens or that boat? :p

Whoever took those pics had it on low settings or something... here's how it looks on mine..
(The alien is jumping towards me if you are wondering)

hl2stfunewbs.jpg

Shorty said:
Yeah... it's called leaked beta. Now no more talk about it...

He might also be a perfectly legal beta tester. In which case it's just your average break of NDA. No more talk indeed.

theNoid said:
HL2 has MASSIVE indoor and outdoor style gameplay with LOADS of interactivity. Doom 3's graphics are far better though.

Both games are GREAT games. People barking on threads about this and that about Doom 3, have nothing better to do with their free time. The game is AWESOME, I guess with all the hype people were expecting a GODLY game... which is almost impossible.

I will own both titles. But HL2 will in no means kick Doom 3's ass... not in any form. They are 2 different games, you can't compare apples to oranges.

ie.. You could compare Juiced to NFS:Underground. Same style game, one will be better then the other.

I agree I think the Doom 3 slamming is jus ta trend that will pass, then HL2 will come out and the people who slammed Doom 3 will preach it as being great while others will slam it just like people slammed Doom 3. It is a different style and that will make it pretty fun after playing Doom 3, would I consider it better? No. It will be different but equal in my opinion. I just get a kick out of people that are like "OM G0X0Rz! in HL2 I can hit swtiches to pumps and cranes and drive a buggy! OMG it is so C0mpleX0Rz!! Interactivity Ownz!!, Doom 3 SuX0rZ!!11" Heh.

The pictures look pretty good, it will be nice for somewhat different style of game, after I'm tired playing Doom 3, I will play Half-Life 2, then S.T.A.L.K.E.R. will come out and I will play that. I'm trying to to get involved with the teenage/high school style drama regarding these games. I will have my fun with Doom 3 and I will have my fun with Half-Life 2, end of story.

Man I can't wait for this game. Do y'all still think it's coming out in September?

september is looking promising, hl2 theoretically is down to 0 bugs right now according to the devs, they just need to start the beta for CS:S, get the bugs out of that, and then go gold.

doh-nut said:
september is looking promising, hl2 theoretically is down to 0 bugs right now according to the devs, they just need to start the beta for CS:S, get the bugs out of that, and then go gold.

Kickass!

I believe Greg Coomer at Valve originally posted these screens at the halflife2.net forums. Straight from the source. :)
This game will no doubt kick ass. Doom 3 kicks ass. People should just enjoy the games and quit bickering. The one thing I do miss in D3 is the double-barrel shotgun.
Boom!

Back