New GPU, Fan Grinds

cthulhuiscool

2[H]4U
So I rma'd my fried gigabyte gtx 980, got a new one back. This one's fan makes really loud grinding noises from time to time. It's especially load when turning on and shutting off the pc. I have made sure there are no cables getting caught in it, and while it's running can make the grinding amount change by pressing and pinching on the card to make it warp a little bit, but I havent been able to make it stop permanently. Doesn't appear to be any overheating issues though.

Any ides what's causing this and what to do?

Could be dry bearing. Can you remove the fan, peel back the sticker to expose the bearing cap, remove cap and squirt a tiny bit of WD-40 or 3-in-1 oil?.

Could be dry bearing. Can you remove the fan, peel back the sticker to expose the bearing cap, remove cap and squirt a tiny bit of WD-40 or 3-in-1 oil?.

Good lord don’t use WD40 on bearings :eek: 3 in 1 oil is fine though :)

Maybe because I swap my fans like I swap my undies I never noticed anything going bad with D40 o_O I do use 3 in 1 in my current fans tho. I've also used sewing machine oil. :LOL:

WD40 = water dispersant formula 40 (not bearing lubricant).
Although it does have some lubricating oil, it's main purpose is to remove/keep rust from forming.

would this invalidate the warranty?. How would I remove the fan to get access to that exactly? I can post a pic of the card if that owuld help.

would this invalidate the warranty?. How would I remove the fan to get access to that exactly? I can post a pic of the card if that owuld help.

If you live in the US, it's impossible to invalidate the warranty of any product purchased by personally repairing it properly.

If you don't live in the US, send their broken card back and demand a card that isn't broken.

If you live in the US, it's impossible to invalidate the warranty of any product purchased by personally repairing it properly.

If you don't live in the US, send their broken card back and demand a card that isn't broken.

Peeling off a sticker to try fixing a fan by shooting lube in there isn’t a proper repair. It’s not designed to be a serviceable part. Proper repair is replacing the part.

The card OP got is defective, should just RMA it again.

Peeling off a sticker to try fixing a fan by shooting lube in there isn’t a proper repair. It’s not designed to be a serviceable part. Proper repair is replacing the part.

The card OP got is defective, should just RMA it again.

All parts are serviceable by US Judicial Precedent. If you sue them in court after they deny your warranty claim by citing your proper repair as a reason, you will win.

That's why "warranty void" stickers do not apply to people in the US.

He's not disputing the legal right to repair without voiding the warranty. He's disputing the notion that having to service a non-serviceable part is a valid repair.

He's not disputing the legal right to repair without voiding the warranty. He's disputing the notion that having to service a non-serviceable part is a valid repair.

The entire point of the sticker on the back of a sleeve bearing fan is to allow re-lubrication of the bearings.

Companies don't get to decide what is "a valid repair" [in the US], that's for the judge to decide after you both argue your case in court.

A company could technically blame you for not "properly maintaining the equipment" if you allow a sleeve bearing to go dry instead of honoring their warranty.

Technically.

Last edited:
Back