New Gov't Rules Allow Unapproved IPhone Apps

HardOCP News

[H] News
Wow. This is some pretty big news. The Library of Congress' Copyright Office has released a statement that says, among other things, that it is now okay to jailbreak / root your phone.

Computer programs that enable wireless telephone handsets to execute software applications, where circumvention is accomplished for the sole purpose of enabling interoperability of such applications, when they have been lawfully obtained, with computer programs on the telephone handset.

Not just pretty big — HUGE.
Allow owners of used cell phones to break access controls on their phones in order to switch wireless carriers.
Allow people to break technical protections on video games to investigate or correct security flaws.
Unless I've missed my mark, this changes everything.

correct me if i'm wrong here, but if apple were to release a new update blocking any iphones that have been jailbroken (as in the past) wouldn't these people be able to sue apple over it? this could get interesting!

• allow owners of used cell phones to break access controls on their phones in order to switch wireless carriers.
  • allow people to break technical protections on video games to investigate or correct security flaws.
  • allow college professors, film students and documentary filmmakers to break copy-protection measures on DVDs so they can embed clips for educational purposes, criticism, commentary and noncommercial videos.

It's gonna be a frakin' showdown between RIAA and Apple VS the US. The results of the court battles that are sure to follow will prove rather or not corporations run this country.

allow college professors, film students and documentary filmmakers to break copy-protection measures on DVDs so they can embed clips for educational purposes, criticism, commentary and noncommercial videos.

Woah, wtf.

It's not the iphone crap that's interesting - although that's HUGE too. But the hacking of software to "Correct" security flaws? HOLY CRAP, that's HUGE... What's the definition of security flaw?

— allow computer owners to bypass the need for external security devices called dongles if the dongle no longer works and cannot be replaced.

Who doesnt hate dongles! Can you break them and go without now?

About time. Why does MS have to open up Windows but Apple can have a closed app store?
Huh? Microsoft is going to have its own closed, curated app store for Windows Phone 7.

It's not the iphone crap that's interesting - although that's HUGE too. But the hacking of software to "Correct" security flaws? HOLY CRAP, that's HUGE... What's the definition of security flaw?
Anything we want it to be. SecuROM, for instance, is a massive security vulnerability that we will now have the right to "correct" (by removing it).

Keep in mind that though means it's legal, that does not mean that the provider can't prohibit it via the EULA.

Whoa thats pretty big stuff right there and so sudden too. The following weeks might prove to be interesting in seeing how companies reach to this.

Perhaps its different in the US, but I'm sure carriers in the UK are obliged to unlock a handset for use on any network (unless its still under contract). They don't, however, have to do it for free.

I guess, this ruling will stop the likes of Apple being able to sue anyone who develops jailbreaking methods, but it won't compel them to provide warranty support.

Wonder what it'll mean for makers of console mod chips.

Huh? Microsoft is going to have its own closed, curated app store for Windows Phone 7.

So are you saying that you won't be able to install 3rd party apps on a windows phone from anywhere but the windows app store? Doubtful.

If thats the case, musicians, recording engineers and producers will be happy. To electronic musicians, dongles are the root of all evil.

See i'm lucky because mine are already "broken"! but it would be better to be doing it legally...

now that it's legal, adobe should put their money where there mouth is and release mobile flash for the idevices via cydia.

Keep in mind that though means it's legal, that does not mean that the provider can't prohibit it via the EULA.

Any agreement/contract that try to circumvent the law is automatically invalid (or at least the parts of the agreement that tries to circumvent laws). EULAs are not exempt from this.

I don't even own an iphone and when I read this in the news my jaw dropped!

Now to see how EULA (which who really reads or can read/comprehend all the garbage in them?) and this new law clash.

I think it's Apple's way of trying to wiggle it's worm back in the hole to hide out, seeing how there's been so many problems and so many restrictions that they're under investigation.

So are you saying that you won't be able to install 3rd party apps on a windows phone from anywhere but the windows app store? Doubtful.
That's not the point I had made, but yes, that's the indication.

now that it's legal, adobe should put their money where there mouth is and release mobile flash for the idevices via cydia.
So I can not install it.

Any agreement/contract that try to circumvent the law is automatically invalid (or at least the parts of the agreement that tries to circumvent laws). EULAs are not exempt from this.
Not necessarily. The law, from the link, says that as the end user you CAN do these things and not create DMCA issues. That does not mean that the providers are barred from creating a contract in which you agree not to. It's the same with software. The EULA describes thing that, while legal, you agree NOT to do. The breach of that contract has legal ramifications.

correct me if i'm wrong here, but if apple were to release a new update blocking any iphones that have been jailbroken (as in the past) wouldn't these people be able to sue apple over it? this could get interesting!
This ruling allows you to circumvent the protection for those uses, new or old firmware doesn't matter. This doesn't mean that DRM suddenly becomes outlawed, it just adds some usage exemptions you can now legally bypass.

Sweeet. You know Steve Jobs and Ubisoft Execs are throwing temper tantrums right now...

*Flips them the bird*

Wow, I suppose that a program that cracks an .exe is legal then? (Like some unofficial patch program to fix Assassins Creed 2)

It's the same with software. The EULA describes thing that, while legal, you agree NOT to do. The breach of that contract has legal ramifications.
Potential ramifications. EULAs are most certainly not air-tight.

If that is true, which I doubt, it would be a 180 from the way MS has done business all these years.

uhhh, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this how the Zune is run? My brother in law has one and told me that he has to get his apps/games from a dedicated zune store.

It wouldn't surprise me if they did but I hope that they don't. I'd give up my iphone in a heartbeat for a windows phone... just for ditching itunes alone.

I was suggesting that they should release it so I could not install it, as I want absolutely nothing to with Flash

lol oh, I see what you're saying. yeah, flash does blow... but it can come in handy at times... especially with certain video streaming sites.

If that is true, which I doubt, it would be a 180 from the way MS has done business all these years.

It may not even be their choice. Android on AT&T for example is restricted to Android Marketplace. You will not be allowed to install apps outside of it.

I believe the EULA can still prohibit such things. But doing these things will not longer be a crime, but just a breach of contract, which generally only means that the contract is null and void. So Apple could refuse to give you support if you jailbreak your phone, but they could not sue you.

Wow, I suppose that a program that cracks an .exe is legal then? (Like some unofficial patch program to fix Assassins Creed 2)
It depends what it fixes. If it's just a crack, there's not a new exception:

awesomeness of the day said:
(4) Video games accessible on personal computers and protected by technological protection measures that control access to lawfully obtained works, when circumvention is accomplished solely for the purpose of good faith testing for, investigating, or correcting security flaws or vulnerabilities, if:

(i) The information derived from the security testing is used primarily to promote the security of the owner or operator of a computer, computer system, or computer network; and
(ii) The information derived from the security testing is used or maintained in a manner that does not facilitate copyright infringement or a violation of applicable law.

Which is absolutely their intention.

uhhh, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this how the Zune is run?
Correct.

lol oh, I see what you're saying. yeah, flash does blow... but it can come in handy at times... especially with certain video streaming sites.
The performance would be too terrible on the iPhone and iPad to really justify their use, in my opinion.

Back