New GeForce 196.21 WHQL drivers from Nvidia

Could be a coincidence but I crashed a few hours after installing. Who crashed me returned totally unenlightening data:

This was likely caused by the following module: hardware
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA8006F29028, 0xBE000000, 0x800400)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
This file could not be located on your computer, we suggest that you search on it with Google.
Click here to do a Google search on hardware

I just wish NVIDIA would fix that issue where it thinks the card has multiple monitors connected which it doesn't, it always causes my cursor to go offscreen when I try to click the close button on the window, its annoying.

But other than that I don't see any issues in games.

I just wish NVIDIA would fix that issue where it thinks the card has multiple monitors connected which it doesn't, it always causes my cursor to go offscreen when I try to click the close button on the window, its annoying.

But other than that I don't see any issues in games.
So...disable the phantom monitor from Windows display properties. Problem solved?

^^ Yes, I did that but everytime I restart my computer the problem will go back to its default settings, WTF? When I had my 4870x2 it never did this, and the "second" monitor never even existed.

^^ Yes, I did that but everytime I restart my computer the problem will go back to its default settings, WTF? When I had my 4870x2 it never did this, and the "second" monitor never even existed.
Odd. I've honestly never had this problem crop up with any Nvidia driver revision.

Have you tried simply putting your actual monitor on the other port on your video card?

My NVIDIA card has 3 ports, a VGA, DVI and a HDMI. I've used all three, same result, I'm beginning to think its the card itself.

Just tried a couple of games, Dirt 2, MW2, Serious Sam HD and Need for Speed:Shift and they all seem to be working well. Dirt 2 finally has SLI support. I went from 47 FPS to 112 AVG FPS, 260% scaling with three cards, not bad.

:eek:
112 - 47 = 65
65/47 = 1.38 = 138% increase in FPS.
:)

This is how I looked at it:

112/47=2.38. So that's 238% higher as 2.38 * 47 = 112. So I made a mistake, it should have been 238% scaling, not 260% scaling. But I think that my math is correct. If I am wrong please explain. In your calculation you came up with a percentage of the difference of the frame rates. But 1.38 * 47 = 65, the difference of the frame rates, not the actual higher frame rate. Maybe I'm over thinking it or missing something.

Last edited:
This is how I looked at it:

112/47=2.38. So that's 238% higher as 2.38 * 47 = 112. So I made a mistake, it should have been 238% scaling, not 260% scaling. But I think that my math is correct. If I am wrong please explain. In your calculation you came up with a percentage of the difference of the frame rates. But 1.38 * 47 = 65, the difference of the frame rates, not the actual higher frame rate. Maybe I'm over thinking it or missing something.

You're on the right track -- but that's a shortcut you can only use when the second number is less than the first. Think of it this way: if you have a 100% increase of any number, it doubles. Hence, a 200% increase is actually a quadrupling. For this instance, you have to ask, "How much larger than 47 is 112?" (obviously 65). Then, "How much of a percentage increase is 65 with respect to the original number, 47?"

Or, more algebraically, percentage change is actually |(n2 - n1)/(n1)| X 100

Another way of writing it is... |1 - (n2)/(n1)| x 100

You're on the right track -- but that's a shortcut you can only use when the second number is less than the first. Think of it this way: if you have a 100% increase of any number, it doubles. Hence, a 200% increase is actually a quadrupling. For this instance, you have to ask, "How much larger than 47 is 112?" (obviously 65). Then, "How much of a percentage increase is 65 with respect to the original number, 47?"

Or, more algebraically, percentage change is actually |(n2 - n1)/(n1)| X 100

Another way of writing it is... |1 - (n2)/(n1)| x 100

ugh and to think i was taking AP calculus in high school and now i cant even remember basic algebra after 5 years..

My NVIDIA card has 3 ports, a VGA, DVI and a HDMI. I've used all three, same result, I'm beginning to think its the card itself.

are you using the nvidia control panel for the multiple monitor settings or windows "screen resolution"?

my multi-monitor setup has had much smoother operation since i started using the windows screen resolution settings. i turn my secondary monitor off all the time and dont have this issue.

They've been working well on my system which was running 190.62. Vista x64 SP1 and GTX260 OC (216 core).

Mass Effect has CTD a couple of times, but I only started playing it around the same time I installed the drivers, so there's no real before/after comparison there. (all the ME2 hype encouraged me to actually play ME1 more than 2h). I've forced 4xMSAA+transparency via control panel for ME1. Come to think of it, I had previously forced transparency supersampling but the performance hit was too high - since changing to MSAA I don't think it has CTD.

Other common titles: MW2, Resident Evil 5, L4D2

I had a lot of issues with these drivers when playing L4D2. I'm running a 8800GT on Win7 x64. Sometimes it would just start lagging like crazy. I rolled back to the very first beta drivers for Win7 which seem to be the best so far in my system.

I wonder if these fix the severe stuttering/hitching issue in Fallout 3...

EDIT:

Completely unplayable hitching is not what I would refer to as "an occasional frame drop".

While post-186.xx Nvidia drivers do contribute to Fallout 3 hitching, Fallout 3, just like Oblivion, suffers from stuttering issues not related to the drivers.
Actually post 186.xx is not where the fault starts. The faults start in the 190.xx series. I have 188.25 and the fallout 3 hitching does not yet appear in these releases. These drivers also properly clock down in Win 7, which the first Windows 7 drivers didn't do. Frankly, these 188.25 are perfect because they do not suffer from either issue. Try them out. They are a notebook drivers so you'll have to find the modded inf as well.

does anyone of you have problem during the installation? Because It crashed twice during the installation. First, It showed black screen --> I had to reboot my computer. Second, It froze during the installation--> The process bar kept staying at the same spot--> I had to reboot my computer. I have 2 gtx 285 and Win. 7 64 bit and the driver I downloaded is for the windows 7 64 bit.

Mine is stuck installing as i type this, my cpu is going through the roof too.

Back