New Gaming rig for under $1000... thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by paleh0rse, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Xinmosni

Xinmosni [H]ard|Gawd

The OP will spend even more money than he'll make back on gas (not to mention time) spent returning those things.

The build he got is great. Not what I would've rolled with since I have different needs and budget, but given he stayed generally within his budget, got a CPU cooler (stock HSF sucks ass, even if he doesn't OC), is satisfied, AND didn't piss off his wife is all that matters in the end. This should last him a good 2 years before a great need to replace his GPUs, unlike a single 7870 or 7950.

2. Climber

Climber [H]ardness Supreme

Good luck with your build!

3. ssnyder28

ssnyder28 2[H]4U

*EDIT* SORRY I WAS A BIT OUT OF IT AND MISSED ALL THE POSTS ON SECOND AND THIRD PAGES… MY BAD.

I like the current build you have but you should get a slightly cheaper psu and get a better single gpu. You should be able to get a high quality psu in the 600w range and then get nothing less than a 7950 or 670 gtx. If i were you i would also get either a reference model or similar of those two card types and down the road buy another closed loop wc unit and modify the card to use it so you can get a great stable oc.

Also are you buying an aftermarket cpu cooler? You should consider getting a closed loop water cooler so you can oc that 3570k and keep it nice and cool. I'll suggest a zalman lq-310 (only closed loop system that ive purchased) as the performance is excellent for the price.

Climber made a good suggestion as the 256gb m4 sounds like a great ssd for you, i personally dont think youll see a big enough real world difference between that and the 840 pro to warrant a high premium. I have several ssds (a 120gb sata III sandisk extreme, 2 120GB intel x-25, and a 250gb vertex 2) I dont see much difference in the speeds in real world applications they are all blazing fast, just make sure you get a 250GB or larger drive, you'll be happy you did.

If you are patient you can likely get all the components you want and stay within your budget.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013